Outrageous Restaurant Portions ...WhoWhereWhy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like America is Not the Only "Offender"

This photo below is Not Photoshopped!
It's the Waldgeist Restaurant in Hofheim, Germany.
I don't wanna' hear anymore about America being
the worst country for outrageous portions :LOL:
Click on this link and then scroll down
to see more from Hofheim, Germany:
Waldgeist Restaurant at Hofheim am Taunus Germany

Attachments

• HofheimGermanyPub.jpg
    HofheimGermanyPub.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 186
Mollyanne - you're confusing restaurants that make sensationally huge portions of food for the publicity factor with normal restaurants that just serve larger than necessary portions.

There's a BIG difference between the two.

Not really, Breezy :). I understood the difference when I posted the outrageous restaurant portions at the Hofheim Germany restaurant. Afterall, the title of the thread is "Outrageous Restaurant Portions" so it was on-topic...there is no reference in the title to the reasoning, be it publicity or otherwise. The sentence about America with the LOL smiley face was in jest...thus the LOL smiley face :LOL:.
I was just having some fun ;)

The "Georgbraeu Brauhaus" Restaurant is one of many in Berlin Germany with HUGE portions according to a traveler on the "trip advisor" website. Here's a pic of one of their dishes:

Attachments

• Georgbraeu Brauhaus Restaurant Berlin.jpg
    Georgbraeu Brauhaus Restaurant Berlin.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 168
Thank you, kayelle. I've enjoyed everyone's input...including your heartwarming story that took place in Argentina (post#82). That visual you described outside the cafe is still on my mind and heart.

OH I used to live right by Carmines in Chicago and it was amazing. They had a piano player on Fridays and that was the spot I would love to go too. And of course I LOVED the amazing food.

OH I used to live right by Carmines in Chicago and it was amazing. They had a piano player on Fridays and that was the spot I would love to go too. And of course I LOVED the amazing food.

I don't think that's the same Carmine's that's in New York. The portions at the one in new York may be copious, but the food is just "meh," nothing to write home about.

I don't think that's the same Carmine's that's in New York. The portions at the one in new York may be copious, but the food is just "meh," nothing to write home about.

I must agree to disagree June... I lived in NY for most of my life and worked in Manhattan for many years, the food is not, nor ever should it be called, "meh".
Carmines has been an institution for 20 years, and that is why some many New Yorkers frequent this establishment everyday... But to each his own... :)

...and then there's Japan's 14 course Kaiseki dinner!

*Scroll down to see meal*

A traditional meal served in Japanese restaurants, called Kaiseki, has 12-14 courses per person per meal for about $150 each. Each course is a colorful work of art with a focus on the 4 seasons. It's an outrageous amount of food but in a respected class by itself. Watch out for those sumo wrestling chefs like this one though! Anyone know what "irrashai" means? Probably "don't ask what it is, just eat it!"!

Attachments

• kaiseki 12-course meal.jpg
    kaiseki 12-course meal.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 89
  • sumo chef.jpg
    sumo chef.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 146
We here, in our home, if ever, eat out and for many reasons. 99% of what is in restaurants is processed foods, not trying to find something healthy is near impossible. Plus I know what is going on in my kitchen and going into my food.

On the rare chance I do eat out, I split the meal with either my husband or daughter.

Our nation is still in a super-size mode and we wll know where that is getting us. But it is not super-size in notritional value. They are feeding you empty calories that are laden with sodium and fat. That is just reasons I prefer cooking at home and inviting friends over. More fun and I can show up bare-footed.

treklady, someone tried to walk a mile in your shoes, didn't they?

i have to disagree about the 99% processed thing. that's only if you eat in fast food, diner, or chain restaurants.

we eat out or get take out at least 3 times a week, often more, from restaurants of various ethnicities. not one uses mostly processed food. actually, except some chinese food (which is laden with salt and fat), most is cooked fresh or at least prepped in house and we try choose the more healthy dishes.

but, places like the olive garden, fridays, and of course fast food joints serve sauces that come from plastic bladders, and pre-cooked/frozen proteins that were delivered by a distributor from the head company by an 18 wheeler 2 weeks ago.

You are correct Bucky. I would have to say that most folks who eat out are not looking for the good home-cooked style food. At least not like thier granny use to make. And if they think just because Cracker Barrel says home cooked food, they are sadly mistaken. They want what is fast and convenient, and we all know what comes along with quick and fast food.

if i get a cheeseburger, so? so i got a burger. we often get those. if people dislike them, there would be like 2 mcD's rather than insurmountable chains, & fries/shakes? they' be unheard of.

if i get a cheeseburger, so? so i got a burger. we often get those.
You're right, luvs, a burger is anyone's choice. But what happens when you go into a restaurant expecting to get a normal sized burger...but it comes to your table outrageously portioned as you gaze at this super-sized-sin oozing juices and mouthwatering sauces and spilling outside of the bun while screaming your name? And you want to eat responsibly but you're not paying attention because you're out laughing it up with friends or enthralled with enchanting conversation...or you just plain can't say no to yourself because you have willpower issues and was raised to eat everything on your plate or it's emotional and a burger is your comfort food...and have a thyroid problem or a chemical imbalance causing you not to realize when you're full?

Many people suffer this uncontrollable behavior. Coupled with tempting ads, commercials, and restaurants wanting that "wow factor"...it's the reason obesity is an epidemic in our country which is also causing increased healthcare costs and higher insurance premiums.

sorry, luvs...i kind of got off on a bit of a rant
when all you wanted was a burger :LOL:

You do what my husband & I do - cut the burger in half & enjoy the other half (along with any leftover fries) for lunch or dinner at home the next day.

Two meals for the price of one - can't beat that. Not having any self-control is no reason to deprive the rest of us of that option.

One thing we're REALLY loving these days for after-movie dinners is our local Ruby Tuesday's "mini" burgers (aka "sliders") & salad combo. You get 2 tiny little burgers (beef, turkey, salmon, or crab) & the salad bar (which is FABULOUS at the Culpeper location). Terrific meal, & relatively healthy.

Back
Top Bottom