"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Flour Child

Outrageous Restaurant Portions WhoWhereWhy?

I was recently at Maggiano's in NC and asked the waiter to box up 2/3 of my meal and I asked how many other of his customers do this. Without hesitation, he said 92%. What? They keep statistics and are fully aware that it's too much? Then why do they do it? What about those of us who were taught to eat everything on our plates? Or what about those of us who are missing that chemical thingy in the brain that tells us we're full...mercy

Do they think larger portions give the illusion of "best restaurant" ratings?

Are they afraid a customer might leave feeling hungry if they don't?

Are they trying to satisfy our efforts to dress up and drive there?

What countries are most guilty of outrageous portions? ...I think i suspect the ugly truth

What specific restaurants are the worst "offenders"? ...not that I plan to make immediate reservations, mind you.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It's an American excess thing I think. Places, mainly those large corp chain places, think that if they pile it on, it is a "better value". . . all they are doing is giving more crap, imo.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Maggiano's is one that I kind of put in a different category then other restaurants that give you too much food to eat in one setting. The reason I put Maggiano's on a page by itself is because I think they consciously give you way more food with the idea that you will take it home and have a few more meals out of it. You can eat for a week off one meal there.

I think restaurants serve huge portions because customers demand it, or at least used to. People want to get their moneys worth and if you have leftovers then it is seen as getting your moneys worth. No one wants to walk away from a meal at a restaurant and still be hungry. It has gotten to the point where that is now what is expected so if you get any less it almost feels like you are being ripped off.

Your ugly truth will turn out to be correct I am sure. The US is by far the country that is the biggest offender.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I have experienced this as well. I'm 65 YO and a big eater. When I was younger, I was an even bigger eater. When a restaurant's portions are more than I can comfortably eat, it has become absurd.

Not sure why they do it. With some Italian places, you get a ton of pasta you cannot possibly finish. I think it justifies the price of the meal. Pasta is so cheap that a truly normal portion would have to be priced lower, reducing the income from a table.

Regardless, I don't enjoy paying 'eat out in a restaurant' prices so I will have leftovers to reheat at home.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Your ugly truth will turn out to be correct I am sure. The US is by far the country that is the biggest offender.
Surely, in all the world, there must be a country worse than us...what about Germany with Bratwurst,Beer,German-Potato-Salad, and Saurkraut, etc. maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
It's an American excess thing I think. Places, mainly those large corp chain places, think that if they pile it on, it is a "better value". . . all they are doing is giving more crap, imo.
Here's a cartoonist who agrees with you, TAT:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	food portions.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	8006  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

due respect for the prior points made. although- if these restaurants gave a less generous portion of food- be that offered @ a lesser price or a similar $$, there'd likely be griping customers grumbling that the portions were insufficient.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Maggiano's is one that I kind of put in a different category then other restaurants that give you too much food to eat in one setting. The reason I put Maggiano's on a page by itself is because I think they consciously give you way more food with the idea that you will take it home and have a few more meals out of it. You can eat for a week off one meal there.
Maggiano's does it to simulate the Italian Mother "eat eat! You're too skinny!".
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
Executive Chef

If you're gonna have a big dinner maybe you should skip breakfast and lunch. Some hich priced phony baloney restaurants in our area (eg American Hotel in Sag Harbor) serve 12 bites of food on an eighteen inch dinner plate.
Many places get a lot of older folks who come in for the smaller portions and lower prices offered at lunch time.
It's sorta sad to see how little the old fogies eat at our monthly Legion Hall dinners.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
Cook

Well, basically they are charging you for the entire huge portion (forcing you to buy it, they sell the food, no leftovers for them so that means less waste and more profit?
Only maybe the customer doesn't always know that.
Now, this is my mothers theroy, not mine, but it kinda makes sense...
And then you are left with the huge leftovers which might make one think they got sooo much food, enough for two meals, wow, what a greaat deal, lol.
But me I like it, cos if I don't want to cook then it's the next day's meal.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Mr. Greenjeans

To tell the truth, I love leftovers. From a restaurant, from last nights dinner...
I actually cook with leftovers in mind because I love to turn it into something else later in the week. You can ask my wife and kids, I haven't had a failure yet.