"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I would only add that peanut butter is healthy IF you eat natural peanut butter with NO hydrogenated oils/fats...the processed stuff is pretty bad. One of the best things you can do is eliminate all hydrogenated oils/fats from your diet and processed peanut butters have tons of them, mostly.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
Master Chef

I won't repeat anything about the transfats (hydrogenated fats) in peanut butter. But I will add something about the nutritional value of natural peanut butter. Peanuts are not truly members of the nut family. They are legumes, like peas and beans, and contain the same nutritional benefits. But they are naturally high in fats (where do you think all of the peanut oil comes from?) And thoug that fat is mostly mono, and poly-unsaturate, it is stiff a fat, which means that it is calorie intense and can lead to high triglycerides, and weight gain if too much es eaten.

Fortunately, most of us smear a tbs. or so on our bread and add whatever we add. That won't be enough to cause any problems and will add fiber and protien to your diet. Peanut butter, used wisely, is a great and nutritious food.

And jelly, if you opt for the sugarless varieties, are high in the natural vitamins and minerals common to fresh fruit. The thing to remember is that in the jelled for (jams too), you are getting more fruit than you would normally eat in a serving. But again, if you use a single tbs. or so in your sandwich, the health benefits far outweigh any sugar intake. Again you get the soluble fibers, vitamins, isoflavones, etc. All of this is good stuff.

Use whole grain breads for extra flavor, texture, and nutrition. You will find that if you aren't used to it, the flavor will be strong. But after a couple of days, if you are like the great majority of us, it will soon become the preffered flavor over store-bought white bread (truly boring stuff).

So the short answer is, yes, PBJ's are good for you, if you eat the real thing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #23
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Always Hungry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Au contraire, mon ami. The term butter in peanut butter refers to the consistency only. Dairy butter has saturated fat, which is not healthy, and margarine has trans fats, which are even more unhealthy, whereas peanut butter is about 50 percent monounsaturated and 30 percent polyunsaturated fat, both of which are healthy. Your body does require some fats, at least 10% of your dietary intake.
I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said "butter" referring to PB. I guess
that wasn't apparent. Anyhow, I know it deals with the consistency. Nuts
contain "good fats" that our bodies need. After all, our bodies need to
consume fat in order to burn fat. I just am not a big fan of the taste of the
all natural peanut butters. Thank goodness for jams/jellies.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

I have a friend that spreads peanut butter on strips of thick-sliced bacon, rolls them up, sticks with a toothpicks, and broils until bacon is crisp. They are quite delicious!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #25
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have a friend that spreads peanut butter on strips of thick-sliced bacon, rolls them up, sticks with a toothpicks, and broils until bacon is crisp. They are quite delicious!
Yikes.. that is loaded with saturated fat. I'm sure it is tasty, but I'd be scared of a "dish" like that!

2 strips of bacon w/ 2 tbsp peanut butter = 260 calories and 23g of fat!

I think I'll pass on that one.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance

Not at all healthy but I bet they taste really good!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #27
Executive Chef

My dad really liked peanut butter and crackers (always Jif and Ritz crackers). I know it isn't the wisest thing to eat, but if I've worked in the yard and got too tired, I can eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and drink a glass of milk and am restored quicker than anything else. I don't do it often, but when I need it, nothing else works as well.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Try REAL peanut butter (if the ingredients list anything other than peanuts and salt, it ain't real peanut butter!) and low or sugarless jelly, jam or preserves (try Polaner All Fruit Preserves, which have no added sugar) on whole grain bread. Now THAT is healthy!

I agree ....
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #29
Master Chef

Husband was recommended to have PB on Triscuits (I buy the low fat) as his evening snack by the dietician he went to when he was told to straighten up his diet or go on insulin. He eats 3 crackers with a smear of PB on each. His doctor says he's amazed -- that his numbers come out so perfectly now that he has a hard time believeing he diagnosed him as diabetic to begin with. It's funny because I really didn't change how I cook at all, just changed the timing of when he eats and use measuring cups to serve the starches.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
Executive Chef

When I read the original question, is pb&j healthy, I thought, of course it is. But I was thinking of my pb&j's. I am passionate about good bread and make all the breads we eat. In my sandwich bread, I use only whole wheat flour, no white flour. And, one can not say it too many times, use natural peanut butters, do not consume hydrogenated peanut butters, bad for the heart and arteries. And then the best part, my homemade wild black raspberry jam, seeds and all....sigh...... I usually use one slice of bread to make a half sandwich.