"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

what's your favourite way to eat a pb&j??

I love it on pumpernickle bread that's been slightly toasted...with strawberry jam.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef

With strawberry jam or preserves and whole wheat bread. Also, try it with some apple butter. Luscious!!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef

grilled

I have only grilled them my old method, pre-vintage sandwich maker. Butter outside of whole wheat bread, crunchy peanut butter and probably homemade wild raspberry jam on the inside. Toast in a cast iron skillet until lightly browned, flip and brown other side, cover pan while toasting. It makes the peanut butter gooy and changes the character of a pb&j.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
That is not an "expiration" date, it is a "best if used by" date. Do you really believe that peanut butter, or anything else for that matter, is all hunky dory one day, then magically goes all to he11 the next?

I decided to spoil myslef on Sunday and made my world famous Huevos Rancheros Supremo. When all the cooking was done and I was in the middle of plating, I noticed that my sour cream had "expired" on January 7th. I smelled it, I drained the liquid off of the top, I tasted it, everything seemed copasetic, so I plopped a huge spoonful onto my huevos rancheros. I'm still alive!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine

I decided to spoil myslef on Sunday and made my world famous Huevos Rancheros Supremo.
Do you have a recipe to share? I've lost my recipe due to a dead computer and I really would love to make good Huevos Rancheros. I've had them at restaurants and they're not nearly as good as making 'em yourself.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Head Chef

If you want to use MY recipe, you must agree to remove your shoes before eating, because I guarantee that my Huevos Rancheros Supremo will BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF! Unless you've eaten at my house, you've never had Huevos Rancheros like this.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Ok, I'm hooked, I'd really like to try your huevos rancheros. And don't worry, a texas girl NEVER wears shoes @ home, anyway ...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
That is not an "expiration" date, it is a "best if used by" date. Do you really believe that peanut butter, or anything else for that matter, is all hunky dory one day, then magically goes all to he11 the next?

I decided to spoil myslef on Sunday and made my world famous Huevos Rancheros Supremo. When all the cooking was done and I was in the middle of plating, I noticed that my sour cream had "expired" on January 7th. I smelled it, I drained the liquid off of the top, I tasted it, everything seemed copasetic, so I plopped a huge spoonful onto my huevos rancheros. I'm still alive!

Maybe so, but I've had pb that has gone bad on me. And it can get just as rancid as oil or shortening!! Also, stores are not supposed to sell products beyond the date stamped on containers or packages of food.

And JM, technically, salmonella is only supposed to be in poultry and eggs. How on earth is it getting into other stuff?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraa
Ok, I'm hooked, I'd really like to try your huevos rancheros. And don't worry, a texas girl NEVER wears shoes @ home, anyway ...
Check your Private messages
Old 03-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Maybe so, but I've had pb that has gone bad on me. And it can get just as rancid as oil or shortening!!
Well, of course you have. Anything organic will decompose if given enough time. The thing is, if you have a vacuum sealed, unopened jar of peanut butter in your cupboard, it will most likely still be good three years after it's "Best if Sold By" date if you haven't opened the jar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Also, stores are not supposed to sell products beyond the date stamped on containers or packages of food.
No, they're not, but that doesn't preclude the consumer from actually using the product after the date stamped on the package. Like I said, my sour cream expired in January and I ate it two days ago, but, hey, it's SOUR cream, so it was ALREADY spoiled when I bought it!