"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
If it's for a party type event, I would make lettuce and corn tortillas available and then if they are adults, let them worry about their dietary needs. I learned that from my mother, a vegetarian that never inflicted her diet on others. Few even knew she was vegetarian.
I recently had five vegetarians over along with meat-eaters. I was able to accommodate everyone's tastes (including the no garlic, no spicy food). It took some thinking, but it worked. I have a lot of food sensitivities--I don't notice them most of the time because I make my own food and don't buy things I can't/shouldn't eat. I don't eat bread very often, so I eat my burgers "bunless." No reason a person can't eat a Philly without bread.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrkr View Post
The thing is she likes to stay late at work and doesn't get home until at least 7:30. So she doesn't cook on weekdays. Additionally, if I make something she can't eat I'll hear about it all night. I wish she didn't make her diet our problem. But she'll cave soon and find a new fad diet to try for a month before caving again and finding another. It's a cycle
Maybe she should do the cooking and meal planning...

Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

If you are hearing about it long after, you might consider "manning up", look her straight in the face and tell her that her dietary needs are her own. I let my husband know 57 years ago that I was sorry that he did not like onions, but I was going to use them in my cooking. If he sees an onion he picks it out and keeps his mouth shut. I can't remember him scrapping out a plate of food because it had onions in it. My sensitivity is soy oil. I can only make sure that Oldvine does not eat something loaded with soy oil. I can't dictate that the entire household do with out all those products that contain soy oil and there are many.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Maybe she should do the cooking and meal planning...
Yeesh, that's a scary thought! :ohno: Who knows what the diet of the day would be? All-cabbage diet, anyone?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
The thing is she likes to stay late at work and doesn't get home until at least 7:30. So she doesn't cook on weekdays. Additionally, if I make something she can't eat I'll hear about it all night. I wish she didn't make her diet our problem. But she'll cave soon and find a new fad diet to try for a month before caving again and finding another. It's a cycle

Tell her that she's responsible for her own dietary needs. It sounds like she's setting you up to be her fall guy when her diet doesn't work.

Whatever you do, it's all your fault. Dont' put up with that kind of abuse.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
In that case I'd go ahead with the plan and let her eat or not as she wishes. Her diet isn't your problem. It would be a different matter if there was a medical problem but if she's just a faddy eater tough, let her get on with it. She's the one with the bad manners, not you.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

What a PITA ! No wait, pita's have flour.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread