"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I think you should start with fast walk/jog until you work your way up to running straight for 2 miles. Get out there 3-4 days per week for 30-40 minutes.

Good work on the lower calorie/no bread day!!! I know it's hard but it gets easier!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
If your in shape you should be able to do a 12 min mile no problem, When I lost weight I was helping my DD pass a physical fitness test, I was walking 2 miles a day but she had to do an 11 min mile, we started off running 1/2 mile walking 1 1/2 miles did that a couple days then increased it to running 1 mile walking a mile kept doing that until running 2 miles. even though she only had to run a mile running 2 miles got her stamina up so running the mile was "easy". You dont want it in your head that you think you can do it, you want to know that you can. I would definately run.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaKing View Post
I didn't run. I don't think I am going to. What do you guys think? Should I run the 2 miles that I said I would? I was also going to do 300 sit ups and push ups, but when I got to it, it was hard. no, no, REALLY hard to do lol.
If you wanna be a police officer, ya gotta be able to catch the bad guys. So get movin'.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Good luck PastaKing!! Do as much as you can while you have the enthusiasm up. Sometimes it is all that gets you over the line. As to the "cheating", while I agree with the others that you shouldn't think of doing it - be strong - acknowledging human fraility, IF, and only IF, you really can't go without, don't do it as a cheat. Actually programme it into your diet for one meal in a couple of days time from when you feel the "need" - like a reward even. This gives you your craving, allows you to look forward to it, and keeps you in control of your body, rather than the other way around. Just remember to make it a small portion and keep the toppings light. I commend you on your dedication to not only the diet but to a career choice. Good luck, although I am sure you won't need it!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Wow. This sounds like quite an undertaking. I'm doing the South beach diet, and it's much more flexible than this. So I guess I admire both your career choice, and your strenght of will-- I know I'd fail at this. Good luck to you!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Thank you once again for all your support

I only ate twice today, and it was just fruit, chicken and veggies.

I think I am going to do some running. I was talking to a guy today, and he told me that if I run, I will burn fat faster and build stamina.

Tonight is more push ups and sit ups. I start running tomorrow, 4 times a week.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #27
Executive Chef

This is an amazing undertaking, PastaKing! You know, if you do this for 2 months, it will then be a habit. You're gonna be really buff! I'm rooting for you too!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Master Chef

Good luck in getting the job, Pastaking, and your resolve to get back into shape. Don't forget to drink plenty of water and watch the sodium intake while you're at it. Let us know how it all goes.......
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #29
Senior Cook

At your current weight losing 20lbs in 3 months is not a difficult diet. That amounts to about 7lbs a month, less then 2lbs a week, and therefore I don't think you should go on a crash diet. Also, I would avoid the fruits for now especially bananas which have large amounts of carbs. You want to stay away from anything that spikes up your blood sugar levels producing insulin which signals your body to start storing fat before you get a chance to burn it off.

Whole wheat pasta and grains in small amounts are ok carbs because they move slowly through your body not causing an insulin spike. Vegetables are ok. For the meats, any lean protein is acceptable, red meat included, top round steak is an example of a lean protein. Same for fish.

You should also make sure you eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Your food should be divided into 5 or 6 smaller portions per day. You don't want your body going into starvation mode, where it starts going after muscle tissue. So you wanna keep the "furnace" burning.

You said you have to bench 100% of your weight, but you don't mention weight lifting as part of your exercise routine, unless I missed it in another post. You need to do strength training exercises or you're not gonna get stronger. This will also help speed up your metabolism and your body will burn fat faster and more efficiently. Good luck to you!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aera View Post
You said you have to bench 100% of your weight, but you don't mention weight lifting as part of your exercise routine, unless I missed it in another post. You need to do strength training exercises or you're not gonna get stronger. This will also help speed up your metabolism and your body will burn fat faster and more efficiently. Good luck to you!
I do push ups. I did another 100 tonight, and this time did 50 sit ups

I don't have any weights, and have not owned any in a while. Gee, come to think of it, I think my last set was back in high school lolol!!

I was thinking of putting up a bar in a door way and doing pull ups as well.