"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #91
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Ouch!

Southern dumplings are made from flour, shortening or lard, and buttermilk. The salt brings out the flavor. I know there are a lot of places around the country that call thick noodles dumplings but down here in the south, a dumpling is a big 'ol clump of biscuity goodness. As far as mac and cheese, sure I could use skim milk and low fat cheese and fake butter but it just doesn't taste good. I like to use cheddar cheese...have you looked a the nutrition facts for cheddar cheese? 532 calories per cup with 385 of those calories coming from fat with 820 mg of sodium. 1 tablespoon of butter is 100 calories with 100 calories coming from fat. 1 biscuit is 357 calories 148 of those from fat with 586 mg of sodium.

I think I need to steer clear of this thread.
No, don't steer clear of the thread. Steer clear of the lard; and you don't need to use low fat milk and cheese. Just don't put so much on. Half the cheese and half the butter will still give you great mac and cheese. I've done it and it's very good. Cheese contains a lot of sodium so you only need a pinch on your own. If you're eating a whole cup of cheese with your portion of mac and cheese, you need to cut your portions waaayyy down.
Okay, forget the big ol' clump of dumplings and put the chicken over noodles or brown rice. It's delicious and has a lot of nutrition. You CAN eat healthy and cheap, y'all just don't want to.
Stay with us. BTW here, from your website, is the reason for the overload of calories and fat: Deep fried chicken, mashed potatoes with butter and gravy I'm assuming, a mess of greens, cornbread and sweet tea. Lordy woman, you could DIE.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #92
Executive Chef

I love all the foods mentioned I don't worry about the calories,salt and fat I just don't eat it on a regular basis. I wait until I get a craving maybe twice a year then I go ahead and indulge. Anyway I think we are getting off topic here. Mama you go ahead and make what you want to make, after all Paula Deen is a very rich woman because of her style of cooking.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Mama Rocks!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #94
Sous Chef

I absolutely agree... Mama's food Rocks!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #95
Master Chef

i concur 'bout mama's food!!! me & jake's beloved restaurant cooks food like yours, mama. we eat there weekly!! at least!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #96
Master Chef

Mama's food may "rock", but it's decidedly unhealthy as a steady diet.

I'm not into synthetic low-fat alternatives, but do make a MAJOR effort to ensure my daily cooking is sensible. And that said, I obviously fully agree with DramaQueen that there's no need to necessarily change your recipe(s) - just eat less of them, beefed up with healthier sides (cooked greens/veggies/salads, etc.).

When I go out to eat, I do have whatever I want, knowing full well that my regular sensible eating more than makes up for it. But we eat out maybe twice a month. If we dined out more, I'd be more careful as to what I ordered.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #97
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
while a health club helps and you can excersie more muscle groups.

Last time i checked taking a walk or jog around town was free.
A walk or jog around many poverty-stricken areas may be not just free but also deadly.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #98
Head Chef

First of all I'd like to say thank you to JP, Suzi, Beginner Chef and luvs for your kind comments.

This is getting way off topic so I am going to say this in my defense and then I'll leave this thread. I was only trying to defend the "poor" people out there by trying to see things from their perspective. Right or wrong, that's the way I see it.

In defense of my cooking, if you take a look at my website you will find plenty of "healthy" recipes like grilled honey mustard chicken, Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Wings, Chicken Noodle Soup, Pork chops and rice, grilled shrimp, glazed salmon and oven barbecued chicken just to name a few.

So, please don't be so quick to pass judgement.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #99
Head Chef

Too bad Mama left so soon, she would have realized that no one is passing judgement, least of all me since I think Southern cooking is some of the best food around. But it is unhealthy for the most part and it doesn't have to be; I don't care if you're a rich southerner or a poor one, what you put into your mouth and the amount you eat is the reason people don't eat a healthy diet. It seems that the original poster had a point with the question as to whether poor people eat a more unhealthy diet because they can't afford better food.
I'll say it again, they CAN eat healthier even though they have little money, they just choose not to.
Sorry Mama but you just didn't get the point I was trying to make. And just for the record, that picture of the southern fried chicken, greens, mashed potatoes, and cornbread is awesome. I can do without the sweet tea.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #100
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
A walk or jog around many poverty-stricken areas may be not just free but also deadly.
LOL that's true. I wouldn't see myself going out for a jog in Compton or Watts. Maybe JKath, but not me...

Closed Thread