"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #101
Master Chef

Oh please let's not get even more off topic by bringing exercise into the equation. That's a whole nother bugaboo.

This thread is about purchasing power & healthy food/cooking.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #102
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Oh please let's not get even more off topic by bringing exercise into the equation. That's a whole nother bugaboo.

This thread is about purchasing power & healthy food/cooking.
CharlieD first brought up exercise when he said, "For people with less money can't afford a lot thigs. Not just food. How about health club, that is part of healthy life style."

Another poster replied that walking or jogging around the neighborhood is free.

My comment was that it can also be deadly.

The wonderful thing about topics like this, BreezyCooking, is that they do get us thinking. Sometimes that will take us down side roads. Personally, unless it it is totally irrelevant or hijacks a thread big time, I don't think anyone should be scolded for it.

As for the specific topic of what "poor people" choose to eat, I'm afraid that we haven't defined our terms and that we might be generalizing quite a bit.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #103
Head Chef

when my wife and i were younger and on a very tight income ...
you could say poor .. we had no real idea about nutrition ...
we were both educated .. but no one ever said eating hamburger helper
or sloppy joes three nights a week were bad for you ..
and that the cheapest ground beef is usually the worst for you in
terms of fat .. it just wasnt taught in any classes i ever took ...
i figured as long as i threw a can of carrots or green beans on the side we were good ... i have never taken any cooking or health type classes since then .. but i have read magazines and read on the net .. that these foods are not your best choices ...
so i think personally it does come down to education .. we eat much better now ..
but we could still do alot more ..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

when i was a girl, and i am 70 years old, my dad was ahead of his time about food. he pretty much taught what a balanced diet was. he always had a garden and we ate lots of fish . that was before you could find fresh fish in super markets. all was frozen. his teaching was renforced by two years of home eco. in high school. my mom was a good plain cook and did it his way. so it was just second nature to do it when i married and had children. it should be taught in school, in my opinion. most of the young people that i know have no clue what good food means. they eat a lot of fast food.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #105
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

As Disraeli said " I disagree with what you say but defend unto death your right to say it."

The reality is that if one consumes more calories than one expends by daily acitivity and exercise, then one will put on weight, steadily, surely and inexorably. It is a matter of fact, not opinion or spin, that, unless one is taking a medication which is recognised as leading to a weight gain (identified in the medication notes which come with the pills, etc.) or a medical condition which will lead to a weight gain, a gain in weight is the consequence of consuming more calories than one expends in the normal exercise of daily life.

Now, tell me about the post-menopausal spread - is this because we are no longer running after our sprogs or related to the endocrine system and life wants us to be comfortable "Grannies". Perhaps we should walk more!

Archiduc
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #106
Executive Chef

Well I say unhealthy food is still better than no food and if you want to talk unhealthy, Mexican food can be unhealthy as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #107
Everymom

Well I gotta say I'm scratching my head about the odd turn this thread took. How on earth did we get on to bashing Mama's recipes or southern cooking? Weird.

We seem to all have different ideas about what this thread is to be about. And its interesting to see some of the irritations come out at the misuse of food stamps. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but that is what it sounded like.

From my standpoint, I still don't see anything but education as the key to making change. (There speaks a teacher at heart)

And for whoever it was that said being overweight is the simple equation of more calories taken in than burned, well that is very true. We are all aware of what "empty calories" are though because we are here and we have access to all that info. Many many folks don't. They buy what they can afford to fill their bellies with little thought as to the caloric content of those items.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #108
Sous Chef

We must eat healthy

Cost? Who can't afford to be healthy? We all must try and eat healthy.

You really can't value your health with dollars. We should have quality not so much quantity. Fruits, veggies, whole grains...you know the foods
that are considered healthy.

Health is the first consideration. Without health ....you won't care what you eat. Let's eat healthy. Ill health is expensive.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #109
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post

You really can't value your health with dollars. We should have quality not so much quantity. Fruits, veggies, whole grains...you know the foods

Health is the first consideration. Without health ....you won't care what you eat. Let's eat healthy. Ill health is expensive.
Easier said than done.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #110
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post

If you do not have money to spend on food then your don't have money to spend on food.

Closed Thread