"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
Everymom

I absolutely believe that many people with either low or fixed income get heavy because crap food is cheaper. Allow me to share one story.

When we visited Orlando in 2005 I went to purchase breakfast for the 4 of us. Buying yogurt, fresh fruit and cereal as we are accustomed to having cost me somewhere in the neighbourhood of $20+. I could have bought bought HUGE plates of eggs, hashbrowns and either bacon or sausage and toast for $2.99/plate. ONE of those plates would have fed at least 2 of us, maybe 3. Now admittedly that is in a circumstance of vacation and having to take what is available, but the difference is rather staggering.

I also believe that many poor folks don't understand what good food choices are. I'm generalizing of course, but if you can buy a meal for under $5 at a fast food joint you are likely going to do that rather than buy the ingredients for meals. I don't think it is so much laziness as it is lack of education.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #22
Master Chef

A lot of the cheaper foods are starchy things, and poor people have to make meat go as far as they can, so it's often mixed with pasta or rice. But it's quite possible to feed your family healthy balanced meals on a tight budget. Canned and plain frozen vegetables are pretty cheap at a box store, and studies have proven they have just as much nutrition as the fresh produce.

I, also, have stood in line behind people using food stamps, and seen carts filled with chips, gooey sweets, sodas, etc. I think part of it is lack of education, and wish that the government provided some training to go with the food stamps.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
On another forum I belong to, there is a bit of disagreement....

So what do you think?

Poorer people (in the US) are overweight because the cheaper foods they can afford are all unhealthy?

I strongly disagree, but am surprised that there are a fair number who agree....

(gosh I hope this isn't too polarizing of a subject.)
I disagree that they're overweight because of cheaper foods they consume. They are actually getting the cheaper stuff (as in quality). I see lots of people's carts at the grocery store with too much junk food and honestly, they are what they eat. Fast food may sound cheap too but it's not that cheap anymore. I think anyone could be better of with a $5 salad with chicken than a combo meal with fries, greasy burger or fried, breaded chicken sandwich and soda. It's yummy once in a while and I don't see a problem with treating oneself on ocassion. A lot of it is ignorance too.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post

I, also, have stood in line behind people using food stamps, and seen carts filled with chips, gooey sweets, sodas, etc. I think part of it is lack of education, and wish that the government provided some training to go with the food stamps.
They do, it is called the EFNEP program, the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program. I used to work for it. I worked in the homes of low income families teaching them grocery shopping skills, gardening, canning, menu planning and meal preparation. Pres. Reagan cut the funding, congress authorized it but Reagan cut it out, of rural areas. It still exists in cities. It is a very good program. From what I learned from that experience, the problem is lack of education, not laziness. These people do not have a clue, don't know where to look for a solution, are barely aware of the problem.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/food/efnep/about.html
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
Master Chef

food stamps don't bear on food choices. i know cause i get them. i'm also on social security. does that make me lazy, uneducated, or obese...
i've so much to spend on food they actually CUT my food stamps cause i didn't use my card fer 3 months, then gave me near $700 re-payment!!
i'm well educated, went to culinary school & plan to return in 2 months, & my kitchens full of healthy foods & impulse items like mussels & crab, steaks & pasta, that likely won't tack too much onto me. i only weight 140 pounds on a heavy day, & i'm taller than many other gals.
so, when'd they make being me into being lazy, obese, & undereducated...
& moreover, food stamps don't mean you're poor.... i spend $$$ like other people.
& so, i like pop (although usually caffiene-free, diet pop) & buy an occasional jar of premade sauce.
would you seriously judge someone had you not seen their food stamp card...
& sorry, i'm ranting now, 'cept weho gives 2 dagnabbits if someone IS obese, huh. obese people i know 'er great people!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
hot dogs are less expensive than chicken, cookies cheaper than fruit, soda than milk or juice.

Some of this country's poor are elderly on a fixed income. They may not be likely to buy rice, potatoes, meats in bulk when on sale to plan a weeks/months menu.

I know plenty of well to do folks that seem to have grown quite large on their healthy foods.
Hotdogs are cheaper than chicken? Not price per pound. A regular pack of hotdogs at my store is about $5-6, a whole frier choicken is like $3-4 with ALOT more meat. Don't forget to add in the buns to the hotdog prices either.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Rich or poor it all depends on what you ate when you were young, next is a basic knowledge about nutrition whether you learn it from your parents or school next is liking to eat healthy foods if you didn't eat them as kid you might not like them when you are older next after that you must know how to cook these foods and make them taste good a lot of people do not and finally you need to know how to buy in bulk and on sale if you are on a budget or food stamps.
I had a friend that was on food stamps and when she got them she would blow it on steak, avocados, strawberries etc and have nothing at all at the end of the month. I taught her you can have a little of the expensive stuff for a treat but the rest you must buy on sale like family size cut up chicken and other meats that you can separate and freeze, canned vegetables, soups, beans, mac and cheese etc. I showed her how to take a frozen turkey thigh/leg and make a great stew with canned tomatoes,potatoes, onions etc. She didn't really know how to cook so that meant she also did not know how to shop for real food and good bargains. I also tried to teach her not to blow it all at once so she can go and buy a fresh head of lettuce a tomato etc all through the month.
Honestly I doubt much sank in her little brain as she would get pregnant 3 times with the father no where in sight after. Don't know what happened to her since but I really hope she is OK. Looking back I think she was severely depressed which made her some what incapable to help her self.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
Everymom

luvs, I believe you have misread folks comments. Give it another look. Folks aren't saying all those who use food stamps are eating poorly, rather they are offering their observations.

I'm glad to see that many folks agree that education is more to blame than anything else.

You have to consider how filling meals are too. Most people will head for a higher carb content meal to feel satisfied more quickly. And in fast food places that means fries, not a salad.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
food stamps don't bear on food choices. i know cause i get them. i'm also on social security. does that make me lazy, uneducated, or obese...
No, luvs, it doesn't. Generalizations don't apply to every individual, but that doesn't make them false, either.

Quote:
i've so much to spend on food they actually CUT my food stamps cause i didn't use my card fer 3 months, then gave me near $700 re-payment!!
i'm well educated, went to culinary school & plan to return in 2 months, & my kitchens full of healthy foods & impulse items like mussels & crab, steaks & pasta, that likely won't tack too much onto me. i only weight 140 pounds on a heavy day, & i'm taller than many other gals.
The original question was, are poorer people overweight because the cheaper foods they can buy are unhealthy? Obviously, if you have a culinary-school education, you have a lot more knowledge about food preparation to draw from than the average person on food stamps.

Quote:
so, when'd they make being me into being lazy, obese, & undereducated...
& moreover, food stamps don't mean you're poor.... i spend $$$ like other people.
Being poor doesn't mean someone has no money at all - just that they don't make enough to live on without government help.

Quote:
& so, i like pop (although usually caffiene-free, diet pop) & buy an occasional jar of premade sauce.
would you seriously judge someone had you not seen their food stamp card...
& sorry, i'm ranting now, 'cept weho gives 2 dagnabbits if someone IS obese, huh. obese people i know 'er great people!
It's not a question of whether or not obese people are good people or not. It's a matter of health. Being obese puts people at high risk for a lot of very difficult, painful, expensive health problems, including heart attacks, strokes and diabetes. And more and more people in the U.S. are too overweight. I do believe that the relatively low cost, and low energy output needed, of buying fast food or prepared grocery-store foods has a lot to do with the obesity problem, as well as portion sizes having grown out of control.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

I have not read through the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating anything.

I think poor people can afford to buy healthy food if they chose to. Sure lots of junk is cheap, but plenty of good healthy food is cheap too. Rice, beans, lentils, flour, grains, etc. These are all things that cost very little. Supplement that is less expensive cuts of meat (and you do not need a lot). In climates where it is possible some people can grow their own veggies. You can make your own bread.

Sure soda might be cheaper than milk, but water is cheaper than soda so there is not reason you HAVE to buy soda if you want to save money.

Closed Thread