"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Poor People Can't Afford Healthy Food?

On another forum I belong to, there is a bit of disagreement....

So what do you think?

Poorer people (in the US) are overweight because the cheaper foods they can afford are all unhealthy?

I strongly disagree, but am surprised that there are a fair number who agree....

(gosh I hope this isn't too polarizing of a subject.)

Old 09-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I can't help but think that fast food has to be part of an unhealthy life style...and fast food isn't that cheap, in comparison to healthy food you can get at your local store.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

We had a similar discussion not too long ago, if you want to take a look: What's going on with our American diet?

Oops, I guess it's about a year ago - prices sure have gone up since then. I think it's a valid argument. You sure can't supersize your order at the grocery store for another 50 cents.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Head Chef

This discussion was pretty much revolving around at home made meals, as opposed to
eating out.

(Although the one person did admit that McDonalds was dinner or lunch for the family
at least 2x a week. )
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Lazyness=Unhealthy=Expensive

You can easily buy foods in the raw at a decent price and be extremely healthy. Chicken, roasts, vegetables, rice and potatoes all can be cooked very easily with healthy results. Some people are just lazy and buy expensive and unhealthy processed foods all the time.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Sous Chef

It hink alot of it has to do with fast food being cheap.

I save more money cooking ath oem them doing fast food.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
The fresh produce can get a little expensive for us sometimes, but where there's a will there's a way...
Figure out how to make what you have work... if it doesn't, change it, learn to make something else.
I won't be feeding my kids hamburger helper to save a buck, thats for sure.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Soft drinks are less expensive than milk and kids love them.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

I agree with you
One day in the grocery store there was a family ahead of me and they purchsed their grocerys with an adsistance card totaling 115.00 and it was all one dish frozen dinners. there wasn't a fresh veggies anywhere, they did have some frozen veggies, french fries instead of fresh potatoes frozen meat instead of fresh.

I had purchased a chuck roast , a whole chicken, hamburger, bacon, hotdogs, a couple of pork chops. carrots, lettuce and broccoli and a cabbage , potatoes and some other micell items like milk bread eggs , some condiments etc. and my bill came to 85.00 and change and we will have left overs.

She will go home and fix her one pot meal and that will be it. i will have items left over for lunches the next day.

I blame the the school systems as they thought that Home ecomonics was not important to teach. we learned how to plan a weeks worth of meals and the list for grocery shopping - how to budget our money- howto clean, wash clothes iron them. etc. I watch kids loose a button and then they have to throw the shirt away and buy new as know has shown them how to sew on a button or they just don't care.

When i was first married and husband and i starting a business and we had to watch our pennies and we did well and 30 years later still doing well.

I have let enough steam out - it is just a sore subject with me to see the waste and the poor health for no reason.

thanks for letting me bend your ear.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I agree with you
One day in the grocery store there was a family ahead of me and they purchsed their grocerys with an adsistance card totaling 115.00 and it was all one dish frozen dinners. there wasn't a fresh veggies anywhere, they did have some frozen veggies, french fries instead of fresh potatoes frozen meat instead of fresh.

I had purchased a chuck roast , a whole chicken, hamburger, bacon, hotdogs, a couple of pork chops. carrots, lettuce and broccoli and a cabbage , potatoes and some other micell items like milk bread eggs , some condiments etc. and my bill came to 85.00 and change and we will have left overs.

She will go home and fix her one pot meal and that will be it. i will have items left over for lunches the next day.

I blame the the school systems as they thought that Home ecomonics was not important to teach. we learned how to plan a weeks worth of meals and the list for grocery shopping - how to budget our money- howto clean, wash clothes iron them. etc. I watch kids loose a button and then they have to throw the shirt away and buy new as know has shown them how to sew on a button or they just don't care.

When i was first married and husband and i starting a business and we had to watch our pennies and we did well and 30 years later still doing well.

I have let enough steam out - it is just a soe subject with me to see the waste and the poor health for no reason.

thanks for letting me bend your ear.
I don't think it's the school systems issue. People have minds of thier own, you cannot teach a complete life in school. Even if they did it wouldn't change much. Food is one thing that is certainly and should always be an individual choice. If YOU want to learn something, teach YOURSELF, there are a myriad of ways to learn (for free) and no excuse not to in this day and age.