"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Commerical catfish farmers also feed their fish grain pellets.
{{{{{{{{{{{Jennyema}}}}}}}}}}}

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
What cut did you use?

Loin cuts are leaner while cuts from the shoulder (picnic or butt) are fattier. I can see an objection to pork shoulder roasts too often, because of the fat content, maybe, but I don't think the diets or pen conditions of commercially-raised pigs should be concerns.

kadesma, I'd love to interpret your doctor's instructions to include bacon, sausages, and pork rinds, but .... probably not, huh? :-)

Lee
I wish that were true No she meant the lean cuts like a loin any fat removed or a tenderloin..It was meant as a way toadd do the diet and not have so much chicken. Although once a week I have my 3 slices of bacon and my bagel with lite cream cheese..Otherwise, I'd be a nasty ol grump
kadesma

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
My family feels that pigs eat anything. Kind of like the catfish of the ocean, bottom feeders. Just their diet is not something to be desired. Our cousin is pig farmer and he himself doesn't eat pork too much. He never wants to explain why. Probably because it is his livelihood.

Also had a male pig that he had just fed attack him from behind. Don't know what got into him? Never know what an animal is thinking. But I have seen their pens and they aren't the cleanest animal.

I don't have any feeling about preparing a roast as to the flavor it has. I guess I got a strange group here. Always want something different.
If I had to live with the pig waste lagoon, I might also think about not wanting to eat it. Ask your family to explain how the food they eat makes any difference to the meat of the pig.
Pigs are no longer "slopped" and even if they were, it was food that was originally left over from the farmer's table--and in most other parts of the world would be eaten by humans, not fed to animals.
PIgs like to wallow--so do others like the rhino and hippo. It is a cooling mechanism among other things.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Master Chef

Pigs don't sweat like we do. And so wallowing was a way to maintain safe body temperature. And dusting themselves was a way to control bites from pesky horse flies and other biting insects. Unfortunately, pigs picked up a nasty parisite called trichinosis (the reason pork had to be cooked to a well-done state).

By law, pigs sold comercially for food must now be raised in a clean environment and fed healthy food. They have fresh water to cool themselves in and aren't kept in pens where there feces mix with the soil. This has resulted in the elimination of the parsite problem.

As to what they used to eat, pigs are omnivores, just like us. They will eat meat, veggies, fruit, just about anything we would. They have a metabolism very similar to our own. Rember the swine-flu epedemic several years back. Well that started in the orient. The flu bug mutated into a critter that infected pigs, and then found another host that it could survive in, humans. In fact, pigs are so like us that there have actually been pig organs transplanted into humans. And pigs are a major source of insulin, used for diabetics.

And just like us, if left to there own devices, pigs much prefer to be clean than dirty.

Again on the food health issue, it is actually healthier to spread pork fat on your toast than it is to spread butter, or trans-fats. Pork fat is lower in cholesterol than is butter, trans-fats, or beef fat.

Yes, the poor pig is much maligned. It just isn't pretty enough to gain respect by us very judgemental humans. I eat pork and will continue to do so. And I won't cook it beyone 165 degrees, and often will cook to 150. I like mine juicy and tender.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

" PORK RULES" We have it weekly - so many ways ! Love my little piggies !
Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Pork Rules

This site give you nutritional info about pork and some recipes:
Pork Checkoff - Pork and Health - Nutrition Facts - Leanest Cuts of Pork

I rarely eat chicken anymore because it has become so fatty. Most commercial meat farmers give their animals lots of different chemicals to make them grow fast and make them fat but chicken farmers are the worst! Pork right now is more concerned with getting a better reputation so they don't go as overboard as the chicken farmers do.

My inlaws used to have a chicken farm - it was only for egg/chick production and supposed to be much nicer than meat farms but it was still GROSS!
Animals poo and it smells and is gross that is the way it is on a farm - we used to have a few cows and horses and neighbours had chickens so it is not the normal farm stuff that bugs me chickens have just always been extra disgusting to me (they smell, they peck at each other and you).

Pork Rules - it is the "other white meat"

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

In Depth

Goodweed, thanks. You really do take it seriously when someone tells you to watch your diet. Your knowledge is appreciated. I always count on you to share your insight with us. Sure grateful you do. Really helps me out.

You stated,
As to what they used to eat, pigs are omnivores, just like us. They will eat meat, veggies, fruit, just about anything we would. They have a metabolism very similar to our own. Rember the swine-flu epedemic several years back. Well that started in the orient. The flu bug mutated into a critter that infected pigs, and then found another host that it could survive in, humans. In fact, pigs are so like us that there have actually been pig organs transplanted into humans. And pigs are a major source of insulin, used for diabetics.

JUST LIKE US! Wow, never expected to see that. So pork fat is better than butter to put on bread? You truly have enlightened me. I am glad I asked about the pork roast. I am going to continue to share this info w/the family. I sure don't feel guilty about fixing them pork anymore.