"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #51
Master Chef

Yes, they are large wooden barrels with holes in the bottom and plenty of air even between the slats. I just think I need to rotate my crops! I also grow tomatoes in the ground, and haven't had a problem with them (oh, dear, is there some wood nearby to knock on?). I find Early Girls to be the best tomato to grow here since we have such a short growing season. In the tubs I would grow patio tomatoes or plum tomatoes. I have several small gardens, and I think I just need to .... well, rotate.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

this wierd i was just talking with my girlfriend about the time i ate bacon bits for 2 days because it was all i had. i think that was my lowest point of poverty by choice. i say that because i was a struggling musician at the time and it was no big deal.
i spent alot of time close to poverty in my teenage years and those were my most creative as far as cooking goes. i came up with all kinds of wierd and cool recipes like potatoe chip au graten lol. one time i met this girl from the suburbs and went to her house to meet her parents, when we got there the topic of discusssion was what was for dinner as they said they were going to have to go shopping cause there was nothing to make for dinner. their fridge, freezer, and cupboards were packed. i told her mom if she wanted i would make dinner for them and her mom was cool enough to let me do it. so i made italian ghoulash lol. they had so much fresh vegetables and meat it was one of the most funnest times i ever had cooking because they were all staring at me, this long-haired freak in there kitchen just going to town with all their food that they couldnt do anything with. her dad loved it even though up to the point of tasting it he was looking at me like he wanted to kick my *** for breathing hehehee.
my mom who had ten kids to cook for on a budget was the best and taught me how to make comfort food with little to nothing. she would experiment all the time and never put a bad meal on the table. even if it was just beans she would flavor them with bacon grease and tomatoes and a little chili powder. anyways thats all i have for now. love kills poverty sometimes :)

Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #53
Cook

If I may add my two cents, Anne is right, add beans to your diet. It's amazing how cheap they are when you buy them dry and process them yourself. Sure, beans take alot of time. But if you prep yourself to wash and soak your beans overnight and slow cook them all day, it will bring you sustenance. Combine it with grains like barley (not pearled... ), rice, oats, etc. you have a complete protein and good nutrition.

You want to cut out the gas factor: cumin works to a certain extent. But good soaking and rincing will take care of any excess oligosaccharides...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinmichigan
love kills poverty sometimes :)
Amen, chas. Great story about your girlfriend's family.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #55
Master Chef

Now, I might be crazy ... but I think Constance's original intent in this thread was a discussion about cooking on a dime, a meal on the cheap, surviving on more than a "pine float" for the least possible $ - how to survive and put food on the table during times of economic distress.

I don't think she intended it to be a discussion of socioeconomic philosophy, geopolitics, a debate on moral values, or a debate over the causes of poverty or "is poverty self induced?" It's not about movie reviews (although I can identify with Will Smith's new movie) nor is it about patio gardening (you first have to have a place to live with a patio ....).

We used to have a thread devoted to this idea ... what kind of evening meal can you put on the table for a family of 4 for $5 or less. What could you do with $10? If you were a working single parent with two children, and they got a free lunch at school - okay, they get free breakfast at school, too- how would you feed them on $50/week???
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #56
Executive Chef

You mean like people or families who are on a budget or a shoestring budget (but not homeless or terribly poor) and are trying to make ends meet in the home, including menu planning?

I can concur with that. Sorry for the mixup.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Now, I might be crazy ...
I wouldn't necessarily disallow the possibility.
Quote:
but I think Constances original intent in this thread was a discussion about cooking on a dime, a meal on the cheap, surviving on more than a "pine float" for the least possible $ - how to survive and put food on the table during times of economic distress.
I would not claim to know "Constance's original intent" but I would certainly applaud the one you described.

Quote:
I don't think she intended it to be a discussion of socioeconomic philosophy, geopolitics, a debate on moral values, or a debate over the causes of poverty or "is poverty self induced?" It's not about movie reviews (although I can identify with Will Smith's new movie) nor is it about patio gardening (you first have to have a place to live with a patio ....).
I don't think she intended most of those things either, Beginning a thread does not entail proprietorship of the subsequent content. It is merely the beginning of a conversation.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Beginning a thread does not entail proprietorship of the subsequent content. It is merely the beginning of a conversation.
This is incorrect. One of our rules (although admittedly one of the looser ones) is to stay on topic within a thread. If someone starts a thread about X then they have every right to expect the topic to stay about X. If the natural progression of the conversation goes to Y then a new thread should be started about Y.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
This is incorrect. One of our rules (although admittedly one of the looser ones) is to stay on topic within a thread. If someone starts a thread about X then they have every right to expect the topic to stay about X. If the natural progression of the conversation goes to Y then a new thread should be started about Y.
GB, Thank you for the clarification. I could have sworn I remembered comments about natural development of conversation being inevitable and necessary to adult discourse. If that is not is not allowed here, thanks for pointing out the the prohibition.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

Wow
Wait a minute,
Huh?