"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Great information for everyone to have. Thank-you.

stargazer021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Yes, it doesn't "come back"--it never goes away once you have "tipped".
But cinnamon is also good for choloesterol lowering--and there is good statistical evidence for that. A tsp a day.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Alandra
Hi Corey 123, just wanted to mention, that I was told by a GP that diabetes will never go away, "once you have it, you will always have it". However, as you mentioned, in some cases, (as in mine), if you eat properly and get exercise, it can be managed.
best wishes, Alandra

The diseases which I have, HBP, diabetes, and now CHF, they don't really go away, and supposedly, there is no known cure for them.

But they CAN all be controlled with medicine, proper diet and exercise, helping you live a long and happy normal life.

One of my former coworkers just told me yesterday that he now has Type 2 diabetes like me! I somehow knew that he would eventually get it because he's obese.

So I ran down the pros and cons to him on the disease.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #14
Master Chef
As some of you know, my husband was diagnosed and actually managed to reverse it for awhile (we know it is just a reprieve, not a cure). He now walks for an hour every single day, period. I already cooked a healthy diet, he was just eating too much of it. Now he uses a measuring cup as a serving spoon to make sure his carbs are just right. He also became a fruit lover, something he used to never eat. But he looks at the clock and gets up and eats whatever fruit or vegetable has the right amount of carbs. He's lost some weight, and his doctor actually said that if he hadn't diagnosed it himself, he would't believe it. But I do think that daily walk is important. He used to be very sporadic about exercise, now he is very consistent. Yes, some of his friends tease him about both the exercise and the food. Luckily he doesn't much care if he gets razzed. He's lost weight, but it has been a very steady, slow loss, which is also good.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote