Problems with old bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But that is my point exactly Andy. Just because people have been doing it for years does not automatically mean it does not cause harm.

People have been smoking tobacco for a long long time. It is just recently in the history of smoking tobacco that we have found out it causes cancer. Prior to that discovery people could have said that we have been smoking tobacco for years and never had a problem. They would be wrong of course.

Again, I am not saying that old bread causes cancer. I personally doubt it does and I will have no problem continuing to eat old bread. But citing the fact that people have been doing it for years as proof that it is not bad for you just does not seem logical to me.

The difference is that with tobacco, there was an effect and tobacco was eventually proven to be the cause.

With old bread the only effect is, maybe, gaining weight.

Well that is as far as we know right now Andy. 200 years ago they did not see the effect from tobacco. They did not make the connection between smoking and illness.

bread

i shop for groceries once a month. i live alone so a loaf of bread takes a long time for me to use.

when i get the bread, i try to freeze half of each loaf. i buy the 1/2 loaves.

then later in the month when i need more it is still fresh. i do the same with english muffins, etc.

i am sure it saves money and always have fresh bread

babe

Stale bread gets tossed into the dehydrator or oven to become croutons, which supposedly have a 100-year lifespan though I've never had them last that long before getting used up.

The only thought I have is what kind of bread are you starting with? My feelings are I would treat a really good loaf of bread that was going stale differently than pieces of McBakers wonder loaf. Bagel chips anyone?

Back
Top Bottom