"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Cook

Problems with old bread

Are there any problems with eating older bread products? I don't mean moldy bread, just bread that is no longer fresh.

I heard someone trying to link it to cancer; that doesn't seem very realistic.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Executive Chef

How old of bread are you talking about?I dont think its a health risk at all as old or stale bread is used in many recipes like stuffing,bread dumplings etc.Now if you are talking every day like with a meal or sandwiches you want fresh bread because it just tastes better.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Stale bread.....I'm thinking bread pudding, home made croutons, or toast to make bread crumbs....etc

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Slice, toast and top with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, grated parm, fresh basil and EVOO.

I LOVE 'ol bread!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelonman View Post
Are there any problems with eating older bread products? I don't mean moldy bread, just bread that is no longer fresh.

I heard someone trying to link it to cancer; that doesn't seem very realistic.
I THINK the OP wasn't asking for recipes on what to use stale bread for!

I have never heard this before. Can you cite anything that makes reference to this? Like the others have said, stale bread can be used in the recipes mentioned along with other recipes. A bit more information is needed here.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Stale bread has been used in cooking for centuries. I am not aware of any health risks associated with its use.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

The French use old bread and we call it French toast.. I can not use my sour dough bread up fast enough so I slice mine and let it dry for a day or two then I run it through the food processor to makke crumbs which I use to bread what ever with
PS I freeze my crumbs till I need them
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
As long as it isn’t molded, you’re ok. Then again, penicillin is derived from bread (and fruit) mold, so who knows about eating it in the raw?!?!?!

(uh, don't do that....don't eat mold, seriously)

If you’ve got stale bread and want a better sandwich from it, you can wipe it with a little water or ice cube and then nuke it for 10 seconds. You can also heat up a large pan, throw in two slices on the edges and then drop in a 1/2 to full teaspoon of water and cover for 10-12 seconds. The steam will loosen it up while the heat from the pan contact will give it a light toast for a great sandwich.

Also, using stale bread for open faced sandwiches that involves a sauce like gravy and beef roast over bread eliminate the stale factor. Or use a rolling pin or other round object, roll the bread flat and thin, spread butter all over it, sprinkle with garlic powder, then roll it up tight like a cigar. Bake these bread rolls (bread sticks of sorts) at 400 for 5 or so minutes until the outside begins to brown, and serve with your favorite spaghetti or dipping sauce.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
Head Chef

And give us this day our daily bread - but make it fresh.

Everyday it seems for the last thirty years or so we have been told that one food or another rushes our inevitable demises.

I remember a story, I think it was in the New England Journal of Medicine, a prestigious journal indeed, that said coffee drinking increased the incidence of pancreatic cancer.

I think it ran thirty years ago.

Since then coffee has been given a paliative effect for some diseases, I forget which.

Have never seen a retraction on the coffee - pancreatic cancer thing.

Just yesterday I read an article that claimed tumeric - yep - the spice could cut the odds of getting Alzheimer's disease.

Well I like tumeric in some dishes and would prefer my exit from this orb not be sans Alzheimer's diseae.

But I am not going to mainline tumeric, and I have a feeling that the findings in the article had more to do with the genetic makeup of the people who use tumeric, God bless them, than anything else.

My bottom line is I would use the bread
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
Cook

Bread can be used as long as it's not supporting any life, as in mold. If it is supporting life, toss it out. Stale bread is edible, nothing unhealthy about it. Some people don't like it since they have to use their teeth more but that's about it. Smell the bread and if it has a vinegary or pungent odour, then there's probably some life you cannot see and should be pitched. Stale bread is perfect for frying or microwaving since it won't fall to pieces and be a pain like fresh bread can.