"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
View Poll Results: Do you eat processed foods?
No processed foods for me! 7 13.73%
as many whole foods as possible, but some processed food in moderation is fine. 31 60.78%
i love processed foods! gimme that baloney and cool whip! 1 1.96%
never really thought about it before, i just eat food. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Processed Foods

that cool whip thread got me thinking.... i try to eat as few processed foods as possible (time permitting, of course), in part because homemade always tastes better and in part because i am an obsessive label reader and i wont eat anything if i dont know what it is... those foods with the long list of chemically sounding names in the ingredients, no way. when i eat food that is good for me i just plain feel better, so for me it is an easy choice. among the people i know i seem to be the minority, everybody loves their lipton onion soup mix and spagetti sauce in a jar and cold cuts. wondering if there are any others out there as picky as i am about ingredients.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm with you, although I do not consider jarred spaghetti sauce, "processed food."

I stay away from "processed" food as much as possible both for health reasons and because I think it generally tastes terrible. And, of course, I love to cook.

I do love Stove Top stuffing, though.....

Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
You're not alone! In the past 5 years I have cut down big time on my processed food in take! In part due to my health (I eat around/for some medical issues) and partially because the longer I went without a lot of stuff the less I missed it! I treat myself to somethings like chocolate ('cuz boy is organic chocolate $$$), and marshmallows. I like to make whatever I can from scratch too, time and budget permitting! One thing that has bothered me my whole life is MSG! (As a child I would always get sick from Chinese restaurants, and did not learn why until later in life - the MSG!) Which can be really difficult to find as it can be labled under so many names!

I bought a consumers guide to food addictives and it comes in handy a lot! Not everything that is added to food is bad for you, some things are even helpful (vitamins, iron, etc) but a lot of the stuff in processed foods is well - questionable

Props on being conscious about the chemicals/preservatives/addictives in food! (Lol, don't you find it takes five times as long to grocery shop when you read the lables? )

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I've gotten away from processed foods the last few years
and I'm a believer in the slow food movement.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I try, as much as practical, to make stuff myself rather than buy it made. There are obvious exceptions such as potato chips or mayonnaise. I'm not always successful but it's a goal.

And, as jennyema said, I love to cook!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

I'm with y'all on this. 99% of the time I am a cook from scratch person. I like knowing exactly what goes into my food. And I always like the taste much better. Whole foods fill me up and are full of nutrients. =)

Z
Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The only processed foods I eat are tinned sweetcorn, frozen peas, a very rare Scotch pie from my butchers and an occasional 'ready meal' from Marks & Spencer and even more rarely tinned tuna. Everything else is from scratch! Hate tinned veg or fruits, or any of the pasta sauces/curry sauces etc in jars.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Mmmmmmmm...food!

I just love to eat so I guess that I have never really thought about it.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

I'm of the same mindset as Jenny. I don't consider jarred spag. sauce processed. But once I started reading this thread and thinking, it makes me wonder why I (we) think this.

Isn't it processed because it's pretty much the same as something like canned chili or canned enchiladas? (Which I think is VERY processed). This leads me to the question of what would be considered "processed"? Does anyone know if there is a legal USDA definition?

I tend to think that processed is anything that I can pop out of a can or box and eat (with or w/o heating it up). But then what about stuff like prepared tuna or salmon or crackers? Or even beans, which I don't consider processed, but they have been cooked and prepared and ready to use.

By adding rinsed canned beans to my chili, does it make my chili semi-processed? What is the difference had I cooked my own beans? Since I rinsed a lot of the sodium out of the canned stuff?

Sorry this is such a long post, but I find this topic really interesting!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I tend to think of processed foods as anything that has had something done to it to change it from a regular state (if that sort of makes sense).

I wouldn't consider canned tuna, tomatoes, beans, peas or other similar items 'processed' because they haven't had anything radically done to them (without getting really picky amount the canning process).

In that case the only real processed items I use are condiments (mustard, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce etc) and stock cubes (as living on college with a stove that does not know the meaning of 'simmer')

I don't use any prepackaged meals or sauces, I depise them. I have always thought that even when you have little time to prepare a meal there is always something you can cook that can be considered 'homemade'.