"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I just tried the USDA supertracker and its database has nowhere near as many items as some of the other sites, e.g. myfitnesspal. For example, I just tried to find havarti cheese and there's nothing listed in the USDA search -- no havarti, none.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Aww! They do have a custom tab to add your own food or recipe so you can save it and pull it up later but sounds like work! If the other site works better for you than that is good!

Old 06-29-2017, 03:47 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I've been having some success with a simple diet that I developed myself and works great for me as a sweet tooth who finds it hard to stop eating sweets once I start but also doesn't want a diet where I give up sweet stuff entirely.

Basically I don't worry about eating anything special in my meals, just focus on eating smaller portions every day. I also avoid snacking between meals. I keep this up by drinking lots of water.

Then, one day per week I have a cheat day where I can eat whatever I want. The cheat day also helps me to convince myself not to eat sweet stuff on the other days, almost like I'm bribing myself.

I should note that I haven't consulted a doctor or nutritionist on this so I don't know if there's any downsides to eating this way but it has worked for me. I've lost about 8 kg this year so far.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I think a nutritionist would say you're doing just fine
Old 06-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #15
Wine Guy

With regard to the original poster, you gotta love how new people will often start a thread with a question and then never come back to see any of the answers.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
With regard to the original poster, you gotta love how new people will often start a thread with a question and then never come back to see any of the answers.
Yup.