Questions about carbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Quite the contrary middie - if mashed potatoes are what you like just don't have a HUGE amount - use red potatoes too. The proper portion is what you can fit in your hand while it's cupped - obviously just sort of guess this - don't actually put hot mashed potatoes in your hand!!!! LOL

Make with chicken broth instead of cream or use some fat free half and half - also some potato water will help thin then out.

oh yeah... i forgot you can use chicken broth lol.
another blonde moment i guess. or sleep deprivation.
i'll make sure not to put the hot potatoes in my hand
though. that might hurt a little

EEK!

"Potato cooking" at risk of "culture"!

First, if you have so few options, plainly, use the "smallest" red potato's, and do not get so carried away about peeling the "healthy skins" so as to reach the "starchy" centers"...(they "mash" equally well!)

Use the "potato water" for both the gravy AND for mashing the potato's...chopped green onion with the "small" or "fresh" potato is always an idea...

"Yukon Gold" potato is also an option...a little "yellower" than "reds" or "whites", but a great potato, in and of themselves...

Strawberries are both "permitted" and "encouraged" in the "Atkins Diet", for reasons I do not understand, but supposedly "proveable"...gorge on what you can afford! Lots of vitamin, fibre, etc in those babies!

Strangely enough "Atkins" did not believe their "sugars" were adequate enough to "count"...

Likewise, fill up on blueberries, a fine source of "anti-oxidants"...

Hey everyone,

I finally convinced my daughter (age 13), that a low carb diet is not the best long term diet. I told her she can eat what she likes but in normal portions, no second helpings, exercise and drink lots of water. She finally understands that fruits and vegetables are good, and she loves most fruit and veggies anyway. She was craving pasta today, since she hasnt allowed herself any for weeks. I made her one cup and add just a little bit of cheddar cheese since mac and cheese is her favorite. She loved it.

I was so worried about her today because she looked so pale, fatigued, had a headache, her stomach felt funny too, so I kept her home from school and made her some proper food for breakfast, lunch, and will be making dinner soon. She looks alot better, has color in her cheeks again, but is still tired. I told her it's so hard to count carbs per day, and if she wants to keep her weight in line, it's much easier to have an idea of how many calories per day you take in vs. how much you burn off with exercise. She's convinced that way is much easier.

Beleive it or not, once she starts up with the excercise that'll get her energy level up.

Speaking of excercise, does she like video games? If she does, a great investment might be a good dance mat and a game for xbox or PS2 called "Dance Dance Revelotion" do a quick search for it on google to get an idea. But basically it's dancing as directed by the video game. The work out mode actually keeps track of calories burned and how that relates to jogging, jumping rope, etc. It's helped me with the aerobic work out I was missing since it's friggen addictive.

robbdj said:
Beleive it or not, once she starts up with the excercise that'll get her energy level up.

Speaking of excercise, does she like video games? If she does, a great investment might be a good dance mat and a game for xbox or PS2 called "Dance Dance Revelotion" do a quick search for it on google to get an idea. But basically it's dancing as directed by the video game. The work out mode actually keeps track of calories burned and how that relates to jogging, jumping rope, etc. It's helped me with the aerobic work out I was missing since it's friggen addictive.

We dont have an xbox or a ps2 unfortunately. We do have a kick box video but we lost interest fast cause its very high impact aerobics. She has pilate's video and one of those big balls to exercise with, and we have a stationary bike and glider, and a weight bench with plenty of weights. I used to go to the gym six days a week for aerobic exercise and weight training. Maybe I should start doing the kick box video, weights, bike and glider. It may inspire my daughter more if I set a better example. And speaking of calorie counting, is there such a gadget that counts how many calories one burns in a day? My problem would be keeping track of how many calories I consume in one day. How do people measure how many calories we eat in a day unless we buy package stuff which shows portions and calories? Personally I wont get obsessive about calories taken in, but my daughter wants to learn more about measuring what she takes in vs. what she works off. Any suggestions? Im looking for inexpensive meters that might measure calories burned if there is such a thing?

Amber, I can't answer the above question but wanted to say I'm glad you have your daughter thinking differently about eating healthy! Good for you! Just a thought--does she take a multi-vitamin? She probably should, especially if she hasn't had the best diet in awhile. Her paleness and fatigue could be attributed to a slight anemia.

PA Baker said:
Amber, I can't answer the above question but wanted to say I'm glad you have your daughter thinking differently about eating healthy! Good for you! Just a thought--does she take a multi-vitamin? She probably should, especially if she hasn't had the best diet in awhile. Her paleness and fatigue could be attributed to a slight anemia.

She doesnt take a multivitamin, but on occassion I give her vitamin C. I used to give her Iron as well. Would it be better for her to take a multivitamin? Iron tablets seemed to make her a bit constipated. And since she is eating normally again, should I still try a multivitamin? I was hoping that she would now have all the vitamins in the foods I give her, such as veggies and fruits, chicken, fish, milk, cheese, etc.

I'd check with her doctor to be sure, espcially with all of the dieting issues. I know that once I was a teenager my doc told my mom I should take a multi with iron. I've been on one ever since!

Back
Top Bottom