"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks Kitch!

Old 09-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm up to 4.5 miles now. I plan on going for 5 tonight.

Jkath.....I forgot to look at that thread but I will as soon as I post this.

I'm working on toning exercises. I'm carrying 2# weights when I walk. I'm thinking maybe I should of purchased the 3# instead. I'm doing target exercises on my arms, abs, buttocks, thighs and calves. I'm using 3# weights for my arms but think I will increase that too.

I can't tell you how much better I feel after exercising. I know I need to add protein to build muscle. I don't want to be bulky I just want to be really toned and get rid of the jiggly areas. Although I could use some muscle build up in the rear :)

So any ideas on the protien.....other than what jkath recommended?

Old 09-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Cook

I recently completed the Body for Life program and lost about 30lbs of fat and gained 7lbs of muscle. It was truly an amazing thing. The actual program itself is pretty intense but the theories behind it are solid and balanced and ones you can use even if you don't adhere to the program exactly. The guy says that Americans are overfed and undernourished. So true! On the program I ate 6 small meals a day. If I was hungry, I ate! At each meal I ate a serving of lean protein (a serving is the size of your palm) and a complex carbohydrate. With 3 of the meals I added veggies. I eliminated all calories in the form of drinks-they add up fast!!! The program is 6 days of exercise (alternating cardio and upper and lower body weight training) and diet and then on the 7th day you can eat whatever you want and not workout. Like a reward for your hard work. It was cool knowing your day off was coming up and it really was like a treat for yourself.

I doubt you want to go through a regimented program like that but the fundamentals for a healthy body are there. Small, frequent meals that are high in quality protein, nutrition, fiber, complex carbs, and low in processed sugar and fats. Exercise, especially resistance training, will increase your metabolism and speed up the fat loss.

I try to keep these principles in mind now that I'm not on the program anymore. The extra muscle I added has helped me keep the weight off as I have quit following the program so strictly.

Good luck!

Drew
Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

[QUOTE=SilvrBck]I recently completed the Body for Life program and lost about 30lbs of fat and gained 7lbs of muscle. It was truly an amazing thing. The actual program itself is pretty intense but the theories behind it are solid and balanced and ones you can use even if you don't adhere to the program exactly. The guy says that Americans are overfed and undernourished. So true! On the program I ate 6 small meals a day. If I was hungry, I ate! At each meal I ate a serving of lean protein (a serving is the size of your palm) and a complex carbohydrate. With 3 of the meals I added veggies. I eliminated all calories in the form of drinks-they add up fast!!! The program is 6 days of exercise (alternating cardio and upper and lower body weight training) and diet and then on the 7th day you can eat whatever you want and not workout. Like a reward for your hard work. It was cool knowing your day off was coming up and it really was like a treat for yourself.

Can you share some examples of lean protein and complex carbo meals?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #15
Cook

Sure! For protein, I ate a lot of ground turkey. A couple of my favorites were turkey tacos, turkey meatloaf, and turkey burgers. You really couldn't tell the difference between the turkey and regular old ground beef! You can have lean steaks, including filets. Yum. Chicken, skinned. Fish. You name it. Just bake it or grill it or pan sear it. Stay away from breading and frying. That's what they mean by lean protein.

Complex carbs. I liked wild rice, whole grain breads with nuts, and fruits. They said you could have potato. I used to take red potatoes wedges and brush them with olive oil and sprinkle them with garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary. They baked beautifully. Again, the idea is minimal added fat and nutrient dense foods.

One thing I forgot is that they stressed that you should not fully cut out healthy fats such as olive oil. I ate avocados a lot too. I think that is a good approach cause I know that olive oil has some very good health benefits and is mighty tasty. Just use it in moderation.

If you want more details about the program itself you should check out the website which has a lot of recipes.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

Best of luck!

Drew
Old 09-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

Thank you so much Drew.....I'm going to go check out the site now.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Surprise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thank you so much Drew.....I'm going to go check out the site now.
Did it surprise you Sizz, to see who the site are the ones doing it? Those guys are amazing. I get to watch their program on makeovers sometimes and really impresses how serious they are about helping people. Each one so different in aspect they project. Many times I wind up crying about the results they make. They improve so many different people with their efforts. People who do this, sure impress me. Giving of oneself instead other way around. I sure thank you Drew for sharing with us. Good luck Sizz!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Did it surprise you Sizz, to see who the site are the ones doing it? Those guys are amazing. I get to watch their program on makeovers sometimes and really impresses how serious they are about helping people. Each one so different in aspect they project. Many times I wind up crying about the results they make. They improve so many different people with their efforts. People who do this, sure impress me. Giving of oneself instead other way around. I sure thank you Drew for sharing with us. Good luck Sizz!
Wow.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Grant's Farm

If anyone has been to St Louis, maybe they have visited Grant's Farm owned by the Anheuser Busch brewery. Today I made up my mind to walk the entire property line. I haven't clue how big or long it is but I made it. Weather was overcast and drizzlely. My kind of weather rather than 90+ and humid. I felt so good when I did it without feeling any affects afterward. My family has suggested I gradually start adding weight in backpack. The main reason for this feat was the hills that are involved. I just was getting bored with track at high school. Since I can't accept working in a gym I have to find my own type of workout. Walking along looking at al the animals was like being away from a confined area. The donkeys never budged but the deer took off. Listening to the different sound intrigued me too. Since this is not far from where I live, it made it all that more worth while. Oh, they kicked me out of the cemetery. I explained my mother was there and I will be too. Made no difference. Guess they don's care to see me everyday. People!