Quinine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read it's good for achey muscles ... when I ran track in college, our coaches would tell us to drink tonic water with lemon at night and it helped our legs. Now, as an adult, when I feel cramped up during the month, if I drink tonic water(even diet), it helps more than ibuprofen or midol will.

I've never seen just straight quinine so am not sure what you could mix it with but maybe lemon juice and seltzer water?

You won't get malaria, In the Kitchen.

Actually Mr HB was prescribed quinine for his leg cramps. He tried tonic water but it wasn't potent enough to solve his problem....maybe the gin and limes counteracted the good stuff in the tonic.:LOL:

I have never heard of quinine for cramps. You learn something new every day here :)

I usually take some form of potasium when I get leg craps. I will either reach of the tums or a banana, whichever is closer. My cramp is gone before I have finished swallowing :LOL:

Wasn't quinine used to prevent scurvy at one time?

Fast

Thank you for responding. You people are much quicker than the pharmicist at Walgreens. I just knew you would know. Thanks again and it does sound like if you can drink it would be good for you. Just my curiousity that I wanted to taste it. I mixed w/club soda in order to try it.

GB said:
Will it cure my dementia or my CRS?

No, GB, that's where the gin and lime come it ... :) ... They may not cure it, but you'll be happier as you forget that you are forgetting.

Quinine is a drug that shouldn't be taken without medical supervision. Check the side effects and precautions cited by the National Institutes of Health here: http://tinyurl.com/p29c3

In 1994, the FDA ordered drug companies to cease marketing quinine as a treatment for leg cramps, "even under a doctor's care," due to serious health risks, including 23 deaths: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/695_updates.html

The FDA issued its final rule in 1998. The summary in the Federal Register states the following: "The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a final rule establishing that over-the-counter (OTC) drug products containing quinine for the treatment and/or prevention of malaria are not generally recognized as safe and are misbranded."

As for quinine in tonic (i.e., the bitter carbonated beverage sold by Canada Dry, among others, and used for Gin & Tonic), the FDA does not allow more than 2.45 mg/ounce of quinine to be contained in a carbonated beverage (CRF 21 part 172.575). That compares to therapeutic doses for the treatment of malaria of 600 to 650 mg per day, the equivalent of the quinine in a little over 2 gallons of tonic water. Drinking tonic water will not prevent nor treat the disease.

Self-medication is a fool's game -- don't play with your health.

Last edited:
As soon as SO gets home from work, we're going to self-medicate with some quinine. We disguise the flavor with Tanqueray and lime.

Malaria treatment. Although more recently it apparently does help leg cramps. Oh, I see Jenny already answered.

The limes were for scurvey, the tonic (quinine) for malaria. I think it was a good excuse for colonists to drink lots of gin! Hubby says many GIs got the runs from taking their malaria pills, but when they skipped them they got a life-long lesson (malaria never goes away, it just sits in your body and waits to attack you). Both our fathers had malaria (his from WWII in the tropics, mine, believe it or not, from France in the fifities). He says in Vietnam he actually had to watch his guys take the pills and inspect their mouths if necessary. He always took his and is malaria free, thank heaven.

Results

bring up a topic and everyone has their views. I will just t ake them all as they are given and figure out which one best applies. I do like the idea of mixing w/something. Just plain really like taking medicine. This quinine is something no one really talks about in mixed company. I find out more information here than talking in the group at church. Maybe they don't think appropriate to talk about what we drink? Well, I feel better w/this group. thanks

I take quinine as needed for severe leg cramps..It comes in capsule form...and is perscribed by a doctor. It relieves the cramping for several days..Potassium can help as well, but the levels in your body need to be checked when you supplement.

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom