"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Well remember what I said earlier in this topic:
And also:
I'm particularly NOT concerned about erucic acid. What bothers me is that apparently it is GMO, and I'm concerned about what that may do to the environment, and what introducing GMO crops may mean for the future. I'm also concerned that the genetic modifications may have unintended effects besides the intended effect of reducing erucic acid content.

What about the herbicide resistance genes? What are the consequences of eating the product of that? The other oils we use have been in use for hundreds or thousands of years or more. We know the consequences of eating them. We don't know the long term consequences of eating GMO rapeseed oil.

I think that more than anything else we just don't know what the effects will be, either to our health or to our environment.
Now how are you using the term GMO? The acid content was bred out of the canola in the '70s, before gene insertion was being done.

I don't like the way GM crops cross pollinate with regular crops. Farmers end up growing GM crops without ever having put a GM seed in their soil.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Now how are you using the term GMO? The acid content was bred out of the canola in the '70s, before gene insertion was being done.
I'm not the authority here. I was reluctant to use the term GMO because I had thought the Canola variety of rapeseed came from conventional selective breeding. But where did the herbicide resistance come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't like the way GM crops cross pollinate with regular crops. Farmers end up growing GM crops without ever having put a GM seed in their soil.
I'm concerned about this too. This is what I was referring to earlier about risks to the environment. GMO crops don't respect property boundaries. Once they're in the environment they're there forever.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm not the authority here. I was reluctant to use the term GMO because I had thought the Canola variety of rapeseed came from conventional selective breeding. But where did the herbicide resistance come from?
It became canola through selective breeding. The herbicide resistance was a genetic modification much later.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Herbicide-resistant GM canola is grown on about 80% of the acres in western Canada. GM canola was first introduced in 1995. (CanolaCouncil.org article)
It appears that at least in western Canada most of the Canola is GM, irrespective of when the transgenes were added. If this is true in US too then probably most of our Canola oil is GMO.

I presume the herbicide resistant variety allows them to use more herbicides.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It appears that at least in western Canada most of the Canola is GM, irrespective of when the transgenes were added. If this is true in US too then probably most of our Canola oil is GMO.

I presume the herbicide resistant variety allows them to use more herbicides.
Yes, it probably is true in the US.

For a while, the EU wouldn't allow any Canadian canola because so much of it was contaminated with GM canola. One would have to do a genetic test on the canola to know if it had been affected.

I don't think pollen recognizes the US/Canada border.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Nor the Swiss border: GMO Canola Growing Wild in Switzerland (which illustrates my concern about GMO crops escaping to the wild).

I can't keep them from making GMO crops. Unfortunately there are so many GMO ingredients in food that about the only way I can escape that is to cook all my own food (something I like to do anyway) and avoid anything other than fresh and/or whole ingredients (also something I like to do). However I'd have to also never eat in restaurants and avoid all non-whole ingredients (very difficult to do).

I'm not sure we can even know if the products we buy are GMO or non-GMO. (Except for Canola oil.)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you certain the fresh/whole ingredients you buy at the store are not GMO?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Are you certain the fresh/whole ingredients you buy at the store are not GMO?
I'm pretty sure they're not. I think we're all going to get dragged into eating GMO whether we like it or not.

How sure can I be that my tomatoes are non-GMO even if I grow them myself?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #59
Everymom

I guess we all pick the hills we want to die upon. GMO canola is not even on my radar. I don't use a lot of oil to begin with, so I tend to focus on things we consume in larger quantities. I try to look at things like keeping our food as unprocessed as possible. Although, I refuse to be bound by that idea either. I love the occasional pop tart.

Tags
oil