Rapeseed oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love to ask kids "if peanut oil comes from crushing peanuts, and olive oil comes from pressing olives, where does baby oil come from"? :)
S/one else has pondered that as well.:)

Attachments

• EVOO.jpg
    EVOO.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 353
i love to ask kids "if peanut oil comes from crushing peanuts, and olive oil comes from pressing olives, where does baby oil come from"? :)

You'd get on well with my Dad!! He had that as his signature in emails for a long time.

I use canola for just about everything. I have a small bottle of sesame oil and a small bottle of olive oil that rarely get used. Only for specific recipes. I know all the chefs use EVOO so I bought a bottle and found I didn't like the flavor it added to my recipes. It always smelled different too which put me off. So back to canola for me.

Andy, I've never notice a smell from my oil. Could be a brand thing? And the last time I mentioned canola there was a rather interested posting furor. That's what I was referring to.

I was talking to someone last night about canola. I remember when we called them "rape fields" as we passed them on the highway. I'm thinking the negative connotations of that term necessitated a name change. There has been canola oil in our house for as long as I can remember. I don't do a lot of deep frying, but it would be my go to for that as well as any regular frying. The odor from olive oil bothers me when it is heated, and I don't notice any odor from canola.

Avocado oil would be cool to try. I haven't seen that anywhere. Does it have a noticeable odor or flavor?

Andy, I've never notice a smell from my oil. Could be a brand thing? And the last time I mentioned canola there was a rather interested posting furor. That's what I was referring to...

It could be. It's usually a national brand. I've noticed it over a long period and also remember someone else's mentioning it.

I remember the furor over canola in that earlier thread and all the people who avoid it "Just to be on the safe side".

Last edited:
Does the US manufacture canola too or is it all imported? I just looked at my jug of oil and its a generic brand from Safeway. What are the national brands there?

Does the US manufacture canola too or is it all imported? I just looked at my jug of oil and its a generic brand from Safeway. What are the national brands there?

Wesson, Mazola and Crisco are three big national brands. Also, there are as many store brands as there are stores.

Haven't seen Wesson here but the other two are common. Never used either one strangely enough. I guess I have no brand loyalty.

Haven't seen Wesson here but the other two are common. Never used either one strangely enough. I guess I have no brand loyalty.

It's oil, you put it in a bottle and sell it. Not secret ingredients, special recipes, etc. I figure if it's the right color and I can see through it, it'll work fine.

Andy, I've never notice a smell from my oil. Could be a brand thing? And the last time I mentioned canola there was a rather interested posting furor. That's what I was referring to.

I was talking to someone last night about canola. I remember when we called them "rape fields" as we passed them on the highway. I'm thinking the negative connotations of that term necessitated a name change. There has been canola oil in our house for as long as I can remember. I don't do a lot of deep frying, but it would be my go to for that as well as any regular frying. The odor from olive oil bothers me when it is heated, and I don't notice any odor from canola.

Avocado oil would be cool to try. I haven't seen that anywhere. Does it have a noticeable odor or flavor?
avocado oil is delish alix,like pale green nutty peroni:yum:!!
i use an australian avo oil,i think evoo might have had it's day with all of the alternatives becoming available these days:
Where to Buy Olivado Avocado Oil USA Retailers New Zealand Gourmet Food Products United States America

I was talking to someone last night about canola. I remember when we called them "rape fields" as we passed them on the highway. I'm thinking the negative connotations of that term necessitated a name change.
I think it's likely that the name change was partly motivated by marketing and negative connotations of the original name.

Greg Who Cooks said:
I think it's likely that the name change was partly motivated by marketing and negative connotations of the original name.

I think I read that the word Canola is a combo of Canadian and oil.

I think I read that the word Canola is a combo of Canadian and oil.

It is according to Wikipedia:

Rapeseed needs significant processing (and some selective breeding/genetics) to be palatable. According to Wikipedia the rename of rapeseed to canola comes from an abbreviation: Canadian Oilseed, Low-Acid: Canola, originally a trademark but now a generic term.
I believe it was erucic acid that was selectively bred to a low level due to toxicity. Thus the low acid term.

The article says that Canola was once a specialty crop in Canada but has now become a major cash crop in America.

Thanks for the opinions, guys!!
I like the taste of canola oil and I think it is a very good quality oil for cooking. Still trying to know more about it!

I remember when we were flying into one country (can't remember which) in Europe, we saw fields and fields of the rapeseed plant. I'd never heard of canola oil at the time, a gazillion years ago. I've used it ever since and never had a problem with the scent. I do use some other oils just for flavor.

My objection to Canola oil is that 80% of it is genetically modified and it never says that on the bottle. I don't object, in principal, to GM food, but I really want it to be labelled as such. I would like to have enough info to look it up.

Did they modify Canola's genome by selective breeding or did they use artificial means like inserting genes from other species?

Mankind has been genetically modifying plant and animal species for millennia, by means of selective breeding. There's nothing wrong with that. However when they start inserting foreign genes (like from insects or bacteria) that's when I start freaking out.

If the latter then I'm going to put Canola on my "do not use" list.

Did they modify Canola's genome by selective breeding or did they use artificial means like inserting genes from other species?

Mankind has been genetically modifying plant and animal species for millennia, by means of selective breeding. There's nothing wrong with that. However when they start inserting foreign genes (like from insects or bacteria) that's when I start freaking out.

If the latter then I'm going to put Canola on my "do not use" list.

I'll bet you were frightened as a child by the movie, "The Fly".

Back
Top Bottom