"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Rapeseed oil

I bought a bottle of rapeseed oil recently and the taste is better than what I expected. I know not many people using this kind of oil and most restaurants using olive oil or other vegetable oil. Really want to know other ideas and opinions about rapeseed oil.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Christine,
I can't help you with the rapeseed oil, Someone will come
along shortly to help.
I wanted to welcome you to DC.

Josie

Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Sous Chef

No means no!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Master Chef

Canola oil is refined rapeseed oil. To be edible, the oil has to be highly refined, as it is inedible, even dangerous before that stage. It comes from the rapeseed plant, which was used to make mustard gas in WW1. In some circles, canola oil is highly controversial as to whether it is a healthy oil or not.

Me, I'll stick to nut oils, ollive oil, and sunflower oil.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I tend to not eat either canola or rapeseed...I stick with the nut oils as well. I also like to use Avocado oil when dressing salads and almond oil (which I also use on my skin--ditto for coconut oil). I also like grapeseed oil. Since joining DC, I've upped my inventory of oils and vinegars!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Everymom

I use canola oil almost exclusively to cook with. (As do many other Canadians I know) It has a higher smoke point than olive oil (which is the other oil I use) so its better to cook with. Its plentiful and cheaper here than most other oils.

I have never encountered anyone touting canola as being unsafe to use until I came to DC. According to all the research I've done on the net and with the Aggies I know, canola is not only safe to use but healthful as well.

And I know there are lots of folks who are going to freak out and jump all over that statement, so please do some of your own research and make sure the sources you check are reputable. There are some notable papers written whose credibility is somewhat less than stellar.

Commence canola argument! (Sorry Mods)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We use canola oil. Never heard any negative issues with it. If there were serious concerns, I would think the serveral companies selling it would not want the liability associated with it. All bets are off if the brand is processed in China.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I think, that oil can be used in all the ways olive oil can. It is good. I almost always have a bottle of it, in the kitchen.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use grapeseed, canola and olive oils. I even have a special bottle of grapeseed oil in the bathroom as a skin moisturizer.

Grapeseed if I want a light oil, for stir-fries and such.

Canola for regular frying.

Olive oil if I don't mind the flavor in what I am cooking, usually not at a frying temp.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...And I know there are lots of folks who are going to freak out and jump all over that statement, so please do some of your own research and make sure the sources you check are reputable. There are some notable papers written whose credibility is somewhat less than stellar.

Commence canola argument! (Sorry Mods)
I don't use canola oil. Canola is a perfectly safe oil. That's not the issue. Often, when I'm using it to sauté or fry, I get a fishy smell I don't care for. Especially when there is no fish involved in the meal.

I stri-fry with peanut oil. Corn oil is what I use for high heat or when it really doesn't matter what oil I use as it's cheap and has a high smoke point. Olive oil for the usual olive oil uses.

Tags
oil