"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Raw Chicken Smells

Hi All!

Every time I've defrosted chicken frozen from the freezer in the fridge overnight and even when I've bought chicken fresh, when I'm chopping it up it never smells of anything.

I bought some yesterday and it smells. When I was cutting it up, it smelt.

I had 2 breast fillets and last night cooked one in a stir-fry and it tasted fine and I wasn't ill but again tonight it stinks. I don't think it's off but the smell isn't very nice. Can't explain the smell, it isn't rotten or anything and the packet still says it's ok for another 4 days.

Anyway, I know you can't smell it but is it supposed to smell?

I'm thinking of chucking it but it seems such a waste.

ChocFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Despite the waste, if it were me, I'd toss it..

Ross

Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocFingers View Post
Hi All!

Every time I've defrosted chicken frozen from the freezer in the fridge overnight and even when I've bought chicken fresh, when I'm chopping it up it never smells of anything.

I bought some yesterday and it smells. When I was cutting it up, it smelt.

I had 2 breast fillets and last night cooked one in a stir-fry and it tasted fine and I wasn't ill but again tonight it stinks. I don't think it's off but the smell isn't very nice. Can't explain the smell, it isn't rotten or anything and the packet still says it's ok for another 4 days.

Anyway, I know you can't smell it but is it supposed to smell?

I'm thinking of chucking it but it seems such a waste.

A waste? Think of the cost of illness, and it's not a waste. I don't understand the answer you're looking for.... I'm sure not going to advise you go ahead and eat it. It's common sense your nose is telling you otherwise.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

My rule of thumb with poultry and fish, if it smells, out it goes. It depends on where you bought it. Frozen fish on "sale" open has been thawed and frozen several times. Same is true with "discount" frozen poultry. I get a lot of my protein from vegetables at this time of year. Spend the $, buy the best quality meat you can afford, eat meat and fish fewer times x week if that is what it takes.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I decided to give it a wide birth. Chucked it. Not worth the risk.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

If I tossed every piece of chicken I removed from a package that had a "smell," I'd never eat chicken. Same goes for pork.

The main thing to remember is that chicken MUST be completely cooked.

I am actually more surprised that your chicken normally "never smells of anything." Mine always has a little bit of a smell to it.

If nothing else, cook the daylights out of the chicken, and feed it to a dog or a cat. They lick their own butts, so they can handle some over-aged chicken.

CD
Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I will in future cook it and maybe see if my mates dog wants it.

Yeah usually I can't smell anything when I cut up chicken on my chopping board with my nose being 1.5 feet away from it. This I could. Made me feel sick. Enough to make a post on it lol!
Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Of course, chicken and meat and fish always have some sort of smell. But, if it's extremely strong and/or makes you nauseous, out it goes. We've gotten to where we pick out a package of chicken and pop a small hole in the corner because we got a package of chicken from Publix once, brought it home, opened it, and nearly gagged. It also happened with Winn Dixie once long, long ago. I suspect both packages were taken out of the refrigerated case by some shopper who then decided they didn't want them and stuck them on a shelf where they sat until a store employee put them back in the meat case. Neither one of us wants to deal with the hassle of having to go back to the store, so we check before we buy.

One time we were shopping for oysters and were going to buy the fresh shucked ones in plastic tubs. I went to grab a couple but noticed the plastic tops were markedly bowed up and looked like they were ready to pop off. We decided to pass, though did call attention to them via one of the workers.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

If I think a food is rotten enough that I won't eat it, I certainly won't feed it to my pets, or anyone else's, no matter what else they eat.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocFingers View Post
I will in future cook it and maybe see if my mates dog wants it.

Yeah usually I can't smell anything when I cut up chicken on my chopping board with my nose being 1.5 feet away from it. This I could. Made me feel sick. Enough to make a post on it lol!

Don't make dogs sick with it

If it smells bad, throw it out or take it back to the store.

Tags
chicken