"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #21
Master Chef

I have one caution before anyone goes out to use the "Raw Food Diet". Do your homework.

There are a number of edible plants that are edible only after cooking denatures natural poisons in those plants. Some examples are certain mushrooms, lima beans, acorns from red oaks, some of the "nut" family, etc.

Virtually all plants have natural poisons that keep them from being over-harvested. That is, before they were crops, they were wild plants and the natural poisons kept them from being eaten to extinction. Some plants have natural poisons which inhibit molds, and other microbial attackers. Other plants have nerve toxins or poisons that attack the liver. Still others contain cyanide compounds. And then, there are the plants that are normaly safe to eat, but grow in areas that are rich in heavy metals such as lead or murcury. These substances find their way into the plants, and if they are eaten by animals or people, cause the sympoms associated with heavy metal poisoning.

So, before you pop something raw into your mouth, no a bit about the food. Certainly, most veggies and fruits are edible when raw. And many meats can be "chemically" cooked by acids. Just be aware that you can't just go out and start consuming everthing raw.

And, some veggies aren't really edible until they are cooked. As with all things, knowledge gives you more and better choices.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
Executive Chef

From all the reading I've done there is no meat in a raw food diet. Here is some good information for those interested...

The Raw Food Diet

The raw diet, as its name implies, is based on consuming unprocessed, preferably organic, whole plant-based foods, at least 75 per cent of which should be uncooked. It consists of:
  • fresh fruits and vegetables
  • nuts
  • seeds
  • beans
  • grains
  • legumes
  • dried fruits
  • seaweeds
  • sun-dried fruits
  • other organic or natural foods which have not been processed
  • freshly made fruit and vegetable juices
  • purified water (not tap)
  • milk from a young coconut

Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
On the contrary, raw food is not mass produced, mass handled or introduced to any outside influences.
If that was true - how do you explain the recent E.Coli problems with raw spinach and lettuce - grown in the same location/region, packaged in the same areas, packaged under several brand names (some of which were labeled "Organic"), and impacted the entire U.S.???

Goodweed is spot on ... some foods are safer to eat after cooking ... raw lima beans contain potentially toxic levels of cyanide - raw spinach contains toxic alkaloid oxalates - as do some other greens. Most of these toxic substances are neutralized by cooking. And, some nutrients are chemically bound and are not absorbed by the body until the chemical bond is broken down by cooking.

I will not say the Raw Diet is bad for you ... but I would suggest investigating all of it's claims before believing it as "absolute truth".
Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I could only do a raw diet if it included meat and fish. Not even kidding here, people forget that we are built out of specific aminoacids, not these magical generic blocks of protein. If you dont get your proper mix, expect major problems. Sure, you wont be obese or have diabetes, you will suffer an entirely different set of unfortunate circumstaces. Particularly useful is to view the effects on animals (who go through generations faster than we do), substituting their meats for grains or vice versa has really wreaked havoc on them causing tons of defects you normally didint see in animals coupled with immune deficiencies.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
If that was true - how do you explain the recent E.Coli problems with raw spinach and lettuce - grown in the same location/region, packaged in the same areas, packaged under several brand names (some of which were labeled "Organic"), and impacted the entire U.S.???

Goodweed is spot on ... some foods are safer to eat after cooking ... raw lima beans contain potentially toxic levels of cyanide - raw spinach contains toxic alkaloid oxalates - as do some other greens. Most of these toxic substances are neutralized by cooking. And, some nutrients are chemically bound and are not absorbed by the body until the chemical bond is broken down by cooking.

I will not say the Raw Diet is bad for you ... but I would suggest investigating all of it's claims before believing it as "absolute truth".
I didn't offer any difinitive proof nor was I attempting to explain any foodborne illness outbreaks. My post was purely conversational.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I've never experience the raw diet, personally. But, I do understand the concept behind it. Your body need a certain amount of essential and non-essential nutrients. Certain foods have more than others, however, cooking the food (especially in a microwave) diminish the level of actual nutrients you ingest. The raw food diet go's hand in hand with the organic/non-preservative diet. Because, eating foods without additives and that have been produced organically have much more nutrients and are more beneficial to the consumer. By eating these foods, raw, you increase your level of essential and non-essential nutrients and you decrease your intake of preservatives and other such negative substances.

The idea, in theory should work quite well, but sticking to it is the hard part (as with any other diet). Also, the food which you need to eat can become expensive, but what price can you put on your health?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeblock View Post
cooking the food (especially in a microwave) diminish the level of actual nutrients you ingest.
This is not actually always true. Take spinach for example. Raw, it has little to no nutritional value, but cooked it is very nutritional.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is not actually always true. Take spinach for example. Raw, it has little to no nutritional value, but cooked it is very nutritional.
Iím having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

Whether its raw or cooked, itís still spinach. How can cooking ADD nutrients to a vegetable? When you cook spinach, you remove most the oxalic acid, and if you cook in water, you lose a substantial amount of water soluble nutrients. BUT, by microwaving the spinach, you keep nearly all of itís nutrients (no loss due to contact with liquid.).

So, Iím confused about what you mean here?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #29
Master Chef

Uh - for those of you who feed a commercially produced "raw" diet & feel safe about it, have you seen this recall released this morning?

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/bravo09_07.html
Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
Head Chef

So I found myself watching (Egads) WIFESWAP.

One family claimed to eat only raw food.

Including chicken. Lots of raw skinless chicken was "eaten".

Somehow, I am convinced that at least one family on this "show" is
comprised of actors and actresses....