Raw Foods Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one caution before anyone goes out to use the "Raw Food Diet". Do your homework.

There are a number of edible plants that are edible only after cooking denatures natural poisons in those plants. Some examples are certain mushrooms, lima beans, acorns from red oaks, some of the "nut" family, etc.

Virtually all plants have natural poisons that keep them from being over-harvested. That is, before they were crops, they were wild plants and the natural poisons kept them from being eaten to extinction. Some plants have natural poisons which inhibit molds, and other microbial attackers. Other plants have nerve toxins or poisons that attack the liver. Still others contain cyanide compounds. And then, there are the plants that are normaly safe to eat, but grow in areas that are rich in heavy metals such as lead or murcury. These substances find their way into the plants, and if they are eaten by animals or people, cause the sympoms associated with heavy metal poisoning.

So, before you pop something raw into your mouth, no a bit about the food. Certainly, most veggies and fruits are edible when raw. And many meats can be "chemically" cooked by acids. Just be aware that you can't just go out and start consuming everthing raw.

And, some veggies aren't really edible until they are cooked. As with all things, knowledge gives you more and better choices.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

From all the reading I've done there is no meat in a raw food diet. Here is some good information for those interested...

The Raw Food Diet

The raw diet, as its name implies, is based on consuming unprocessed, preferably organic, whole plant-based foods, at least 75 per cent of which should be uncooked. It consists of:
  • fresh fruits and vegetables
  • nuts
  • seeds
  • beans
  • grains
  • legumes
  • dried fruits
  • seaweeds
  • sun-dried fruits
  • other organic or natural foods which have not been processed
  • freshly made fruit and vegetable juices
  • purified water (not tap)
  • milk from a young coconut

VeraBlue said:
On the contrary, raw food is not mass produced, mass handled or introduced to any outside influences.

If that was true - how do you explain the recent E.Coli problems with raw spinach and lettuce - grown in the same location/region, packaged in the same areas, packaged under several brand names (some of which were labeled "Organic"), and impacted the entire U.S.???

Goodweed is spot on ... some foods are safer to eat after cooking ... raw lima beans contain potentially toxic levels of cyanide - raw spinach contains toxic alkaloid oxalates - as do some other greens. Most of these toxic substances are neutralized by cooking. And, some nutrients are chemically bound and are not absorbed by the body until the chemical bond is broken down by cooking.

I will not say the Raw Diet is bad for you ... but I would suggest investigating all of it's claims before believing it as "absolute truth".

I could only do a raw diet if it included meat and fish. Not even kidding here, people forget that we are built out of specific aminoacids, not these magical generic blocks of protein. If you dont get your proper mix, expect major problems. Sure, you wont be obese or have diabetes, you will suffer an entirely different set of unfortunate circumstaces. Particularly useful is to view the effects on animals (who go through generations faster than we do), substituting their meats for grains or vice versa has really wreaked havoc on them causing tons of defects you normally didint see in animals coupled with immune deficiencies.

Michael in FtW said:
If that was true - how do you explain the recent E.Coli problems with raw spinach and lettuce - grown in the same location/region, packaged in the same areas, packaged under several brand names (some of which were labeled "Organic"), and impacted the entire U.S.???

Goodweed is spot on ... some foods are safer to eat after cooking ... raw lima beans contain potentially toxic levels of cyanide - raw spinach contains toxic alkaloid oxalates - as do some other greens. Most of these toxic substances are neutralized by cooking. And, some nutrients are chemically bound and are not absorbed by the body until the chemical bond is broken down by cooking.

I will not say the Raw Diet is bad for you ... but I would suggest investigating all of it's claims before believing it as "absolute truth".

I didn't offer any difinitive proof nor was I attempting to explain any foodborne illness outbreaks. My post was purely conversational.

I've never experience the raw diet, personally. But, I do understand the concept behind it. Your body need a certain amount of essential and non-essential nutrients. Certain foods have more than others, however, cooking the food (especially in a microwave) diminish the level of actual nutrients you ingest. The raw food diet go's hand in hand with the organic/non-preservative diet. Because, eating foods without additives and that have been produced organically have much more nutrients and are more beneficial to the consumer. By eating these foods, raw, you increase your level of essential and non-essential nutrients and you decrease your intake of preservatives and other such negative substances.

The idea, in theory should work quite well, but sticking to it is the hard part (as with any other diet). Also, the food which you need to eat can become expensive, but what price can you put on your health?

cooking the food (especially in a microwave) diminish the level of actual nutrients you ingest.
This is not actually always true. Take spinach for example. Raw, it has little to no nutritional value, but cooked it is very nutritional.

This is not actually always true. Take spinach for example. Raw, it has little to no nutritional value, but cooked it is very nutritional.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. :huh:

Whether its raw or cooked, it’s still spinach. How can cooking ADD nutrients to a vegetable? When you cook spinach, you remove most the oxalic acid, and if you cook in water, you lose a substantial amount of water soluble nutrients. BUT, by microwaving the spinach, you keep nearly all of it’s nutrients (no loss due to contact with liquid.).

So, I’m confused about what you mean here?

So I found myself watching (Egads) WIFESWAP.

One family claimed to eat only raw food.

Including chicken. Lots of raw skinless chicken was "eaten".

Somehow, I am convinced that at least one family on this "show" is
comprised of actors and actresses....

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. :huh:

Whether its raw or cooked, it’s still spinach. How can cooking ADD nutrients to a vegetable? When you cook spinach, you remove most the oxalic acid, and if you cook in water, you lose a substantial amount of water soluble nutrients. BUT, by microwaving the spinach, you keep nearly all of it’s nutrients (no loss due to contact with liquid.).

So, I’m confused about what you mean here?
Cooking it does not add nutrients. The nutrients were always there, but in the raw state they are in a form that the human body can not process. Once cooked that changes and your body is able to process it.

Edited to add: That is what I was taught a long time ago. Perhaps I was taught wrong, but I have heard it many times.

Last edited:
Cooking it does not add nutrients. The nutrients were always there, but in the raw state they are in a form that the human body can not process. Once cooked that changes and your body is able to process it.

Edited to add: That is what I was taught a long time ago. Perhaps I was taught wrong, but I have heard it many times.

Oh, that makes more sense now!

Did some research, and I would imagine it’s related to the oxalic acid content, which is poisonous in high doses. Spinach is incredibly rich in oxalic acid. Oxalic acid blocks the absorption of calcium and iron. When you cook spinach in liquid, the oxalic acid leeches out and into the liquid. So, it stands to reason that cooking spinach allows for more absorption of calcium, iron, and other nutrients due to the reduced oxalic content. Makes sense.

However, it’s better to blanch the spinach in one pot of liquid, then wash it and continue cooking in another liquid. Oxalic acid turns crystalline when it leeches from the Spinach. Since oxalic acid is evacuated via the kidneys and urine, the crystals can lead to kidney stones, especially to those at risk or prone to them.

However, oxalic acid is good for cleansing the intestinal track, so there are benefits to eating it raw as well.

don't forget, certain foods are not as easily broken down (or digested at all) in the body unless cooked, so they and their nutrients just pass through you if eaten raw.

carrots are especially more nutritious if lightly cooked. potatoes offer not much more than water and fiber if eaten raw.

I must put my two cents worth in. I believe that variety is the spice of life. Yes, I've known people on that raw food diet. I've known those who have taken it to the extreme that they will not drink pasturized milk products. I have made completely vegan meals ... and once told a vegan she was eating something that wasn't vegan (worcestershire sauce, she was shocked since she didn't know). I personally believe it is better to eat a little of everything, not to go to such extremes, unless there is a medical reason for an extreme diet. I try to respect everyone, but on the other hand, when I am hosting a party, I ask those who do have extreme dietary beliefs to make sure they bring a dish they can eat and some to share. But for those who don't cook food, there is always the raw veggie and fruit platters! And, yes, there are vegetables that are better for you if cooked. It makes the nutrients more accessible. Spinach comments, above, crack me up. Haven't you ever noticed after eating cooked spinach your teeth seem cleaner?

Recently I did a juice fast.. no solid food, just drinking light vegetable juices and some fruit juices. I felt terrific and kept it going for two weeks. Then I transitioned back to solid food, sticking with an allergy elimination diet. I didn't feel as good as the juice fast. I started thinking, during the juice fast I was getting tons of raw fruits and veggies. When I was cooking again, I still had a lot of veggies but they were mostly cooked.

So this has got me thinking about the raw food diet.

It makes plenty of sense to me: you heat food, you break down some of the nutrition. So maximzie the nutrition, don't cook it.

I've felt very sick for years, so even if the raw food diet seems like a hassle, it's better than feeling sick.

I believe that you can warm raw foods. I know they use dehydrators on low heat settings to make crusts.

Mike

Mike

Every week or two I take a day and drink nothing but fruit juice (usually cranberry to get that girl thing going). It is also not unusual, especially in the summer, for hubby and I to have a salad day. I guess the main thing is that I believe in eating just about everything. A raw food day is fine, but I'm against extreme diets of any sort.

not healthy to lose so many pounds per month

Hi friends, I heard that it is not healthy to lose so many pounds per month, So If I loose 10 lbs/month then what can be possibly go wrong with me? Is it life threatening? Or the side effect will remain temporary period? And what is better a diet pill or Fasting for 2-3 days?

there's a lot of variables that would go into an answer to your questions, dinadilo.

first of all, diet pills and fasting are two very bad ways to lose weight.

you should always consume at least 3 healthy meals a day. 5 smaller meals would even be better.

if you fast too long or eat just 1 or 2 large meals a day, your body goes into a protection like mode and will try to store what it needs to survive the hours when there's no food for energy as fat. you're also messing with your blood sugar levels, and would eventually be facing a risk of diabetes. of course, there's another variable of genetics, or epigenetics, which would make some people more inclined to get diseases, but that's another discussion.

as far as losing 10 pounds in a month being healthy or not, it would depend on how much you needed to lose (how much fat you have), and how you lost it.
eating 5 healthy meals and exercising your butt off everyday would be a safe way to lose 10 pounds, if you had it to lose and weren't going below a safe body mass index.

you would have to be careful, though, exercising that much if you do have a lot of weight to lose. it could be a strain on your heart or muscles/skeleton, so there could be detrimental effects form that.

the best thing to do is see a doctor and work up a diet and exercise rigemen.

want to keep my weight under control

[FONT=&quot]Hi friends, I want to keep my weight under control so I've started eating better and cutting back on soft drinks but I still have an occasional diet soda. If counting calories is an appropriate way to loose weight then would drink diet cola as it has 0 calories? Also what are some good substitutes for diet cola that don't contain many calories or artificial sweeteners and help in losing weight other than water? Any helpful comments will great appreciate.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom