"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of the little towns around here thought they were recycling, but their service was just picking up the recyclbles and dumping them into the landfill. I think they fired the guy who authorized the dumping.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Our recycling started out being mandatory, but ended up being voluntary. We quit when we saw the garbage man pick up the recycling bins and dump them in the garbage truck. We only had recycling for glass and aluminum cans. There is a truck that comes around to pick them up for recycling, but no one knows when they are coming. Now we crush and cash in our cans at the recycle center. Also, our community center recycles newspaper to pay for fireworks on Independence Day.

We take our plastic grocery bags back for recycling. I don't know what they do with them.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

SO bought a couple of silicone covered glass bottles for water, etc. on the go. She got them from Whole Foods. http://www.lifefactory.com/product/b...FcFj7Aod0mcAxQ

It's heavy glass and sturdy. It held up well until she left it in the car full of water and it froze and cracked.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I've never seen these bottles, Andy. Looks like a good idea. I'll have to look around for them.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Our recycling started out being mandatory, but ended up being voluntary. We quit when we saw the garbage man pick up the recycling bins and dump them in the garbage truck. We only had recycling for glass and aluminum cans. There is a truck that comes around to pick them up for recycling, but no one knows when they are coming. Now we crush and cash in our cans at the recycle center. Also, our community center recycles newspaper to pay for fireworks on Independence Day.

We take our plastic grocery bags back for recycling. I don't know what they do with them.
Our Recycle truck goes right behind the trash truck. Don't get stuck driving behind them. You could be a few hours late for your appointment. The recycle truck has three bins. One each for metal, glass and paper products. Our recycle containers are on the first floor. Some of the folks on the second floor will bring their stuff down there. Most of us don't. And forget the folks on the third floor. The problem is the size of the trash rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Just big enough to hold four large trash cans with covers.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I've never seen these bottles, Andy. Looks like a good idea. I'll have to look around for them.
The link gives the price @ $14.00 but I believe she paid around $7.00. Plastic bottles irritate her lips so she seldom drinks from plastic.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
One of the little towns around here thought they were recycling, but their service was just picking up the recyclbles and dumping them into the landfill. I think they fired the guy who authorized the dumping.
I've collected a lot of articles about recycling and some of them aren't exactly reassuring. And nothing is easy or cheap, to do it right.

Here is just one city's experience:
http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news...ttles.html.csp

I continue to 'recycle' but I don't have my rose-tinted glasses (pun intended) on when I do it. Every little bit helps and I hope that eventually it will all get sorted out (pun intended).

Since China implemented their Green Fence Initiative we can no longer send so much of our (mainly) plastic waste there. But where is it going?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Regardless of any urban legend surrounding plastic bottles, what's clear is that the disposable bottles are manufactured from finite resources and are bad for the environment.
Much better to buy a sports water bottle that's dishwasher safe and made be refilled as many times as you like.
I agree and take it even further. First bottled water is not free, its expensive and tap water while not free is maybe thousands times less expensive.
Second. Disposable plastic water bottles are frankly stupid. They are a scourge to our planet and take many many, years to decompose.
My suggestion is to put a deposit on plastic water bottles or outlaw them completely.
Should an empty disposable water bottle have a value, I bet it would not take long to see them disappear from roadsides and the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I read recently that it isn't a good idea. The same article said that it isn't advisable to keep a bottle of water in the car. According to the article chemicals (dioxins and others) from the plastic can leach out into the water especially in heat and sunlight.

However the Cancer Research UK (CRUK) website says that this is a hoax and comes from emails and the articles stemming from them which spread the story about the "dangers" of re-using the bottles generally warn people about freezing water in plastic bottles, reusing plastic water bottles, leaving plastic bottles in cars and microwaving food in plastic containers or covered with plastic films.

CRUK (the world's largest independent cancer research charity) says there is no convincing scientific evidence to back up these claims or to suggest that any of these products could cause cancer. Some of these emails credit the warnings about plastics to Johns Hopkins University in America, but CRUK says that JHU has denied any involvement in them.

However, this doesn't approach the problem of germs breeding on the neck of the bottle.
I would assume that those against disposable plastic bottles for any reason are not the same people who make their livings from these bottles.
You must always look hard at where these facts come from before deciding who to believe.

I personally NEVER EVER purchase bottles water. We are fortunate that we have very good tap water. I am of the opinion that disposable plastic water bottles must go or they must be assigned a value.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My suggestion is to put a deposit on plastic water bottles or outlaw them completely.
Should an empty disposable water bottle have a value, I bet it would not take long to see them disappear from roadsides and the ocean.

I would assume that those against disposable plastic bottles for any reason are not the same people who make their livings from these bottles.
You must always look hard at where these facts come from before deciding who to believe.

I am of the opinion that disposable plastic water bottles must go or they must be assigned a value.
Bazinga!
Bazinga!
Bazinga!

I'll have to look up how much money is spent in lobbying by those manufacturers of plastic bottles. I'm going to guess a ***t-load!

Cui bono---- or follow the money. It's always there!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
Head Chef

Ocean Trash Art ---plastic soda bottle tops, lighters, misc bits of plastic

http://stephenleahy.files.wordpress....ters.jpg?w=700

A sad commentary.

Tags
water