Re-using water bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From a chemist's point of view, I use a BPH free bottle to keep my water in. I wash it every day and allow it to air dry before putting the lid on. Why take the chance? The growth of micro organisms grow faster in a clean water environment, when they are no preservatives present. In our business we are very sensitive to micro organisms inthe production of shampoo, body wash and other water containing products. We NEVER use charcoal type filters, which remove the preservative in water. These are always loaded with microbs within a few houra of use. Because of this reason I would avoid filters the "clean and purify water". Especially the type you pour water through and then let it sit to "filter". In most cases these microbs will clean your colon at worst. But there are some that will grow (gram negatives) that can cause some ugly things. Additionally the nastiest part of your body can be your mouth. So using a bottle over several days would not be recommended.

My husband was terrible at drinking water. All he ever got was what he drank to take his pills. After our visit to Las Vagas where drinking water is mandatory to live, he was used to drinking bottled water so we now keep it on hand. To me, if it's going to get him to drink water, it's worth it.

I buy water in plastic bottles before hurricane season comes. I'm on a well, and if the power went out, I'd have no water. Then, at the end of the season I feel obliged to drink what hasn't been used -- it costs too much to water flowers with it. The bottles have been sitting all summer. I don't know how else I could guarantee a temporary water supply.

I recycle most of the empties, but save some. When my rose bushes are putting out lots of flowers, I use an empty as a throw-away bud vase and take a rose to the reception desk at the doctor's office -- or the post office, etc. Like Sara Lee, seems nobody doesn't like rose buds.

If I were to buy a carton of glass canning jars with screw lids, could I fill them with tap water and keep them over the summer months? Would that be safer? And would running them through the dishwasher before filling be sufficient sterilization?

I think keeping an emergency water supply on hand would be good to have almost anywhere, not just here in hurricane-land.

This reminds me of the green cans of crackers and water they used to stockpile in the government fallout shelters, why didn't they stockpile wine and chocolates? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This might help answer your questions.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/taylor/fcs/documents/PreparinganEmergencyFoodSupplyWater.pdf

I buy water in plastic bottles before hurricane season comes. I'm on a well, and if the power went out, I'd have no water. Then, at the end of the season I feel obliged to drink what hasn't been used -- it costs too much to water flowers with it. The bottles have been sitting all summer. I don't know how else I could guarantee a temporary water supply.

I recycle most of the empties, but save some. When my rose bushes are putting out lots of flowers, I use an empty as a throw-away bud vase and take a rose to the reception desk at the doctor's office -- or the post office, etc. Like Sara Lee, seems nobody doesn't like rose buds.

If I were to buy a carton of glass canning jars with screw lids, could I fill them with tap water and keep them over the summer months? Would that be safer? And would running them through the dishwasher before filling be sufficient sterilization?

I think keeping an emergency water supply on hand would be good to have almost anywhere, not just here in hurricane-land.

I keep a couple of cases of bottled water on hand, they are switched out the same time we change the batteries in the smoke alarms and I take the older bottles to work with me. I refill those for a week and then recycle the bottles.

I think the idea of using glass jars is okay as long as you have the space for them, but you do need to be careful of lids rusting. The plastic bottles are also non-breakable, where the glass is breakable.

If you have small children in the home, then due care needs to be taken with the glass containers. Otherwise, for just adults, I would prefer the glass over the plastic. :angel:

I am putting this thread here because this question is related to outdoor activities. Are there any cautions about reusing the water bottles (usually 600ml size that you buy water in)? I usually drink water from a water bottle over the course of an hour or two, rather than just pouring it out quickly, so my mouth comes into contact with the mouth of the bottle many times.

If it is a good idea to reuse them - put water or coke or juice from a larger bottle, etc) what is the safest way to clean these bottles?
I read recently that it isn't a good idea. The same article said that it isn't advisable to keep a bottle of water in the car. According to the article chemicals (dioxins and others) from the plastic can leach out into the water especially in heat and sunlight.

However the Cancer Research UK (CRUK) website says that this is a hoax and comes from emails and the articles stemming from them which spread the story about the "dangers" of re-using the bottles generally warn people about freezing water in plastic bottles, reusing plastic water bottles, leaving plastic bottles in cars and microwaving food in plastic containers or covered with plastic films.

CRUK (the world's largest independent cancer research charity) says there is no convincing scientific evidence to back up these claims or to suggest that any of these products could cause cancer. Some of these emails credit the warnings about plastics to Johns Hopkins University in America, but CRUK says that JHU has denied any involvement in them.

However, this doesn't approach the problem of germs breeding on the neck of the bottle.

Regardless of any urban legend surrounding plastic bottles, what's clear is that the disposable bottles are manufactured from finite resources and are bad for the environment.

Much better to buy a sports water bottle that's dishwasher safe and made be refilled as many times as you like.
Here, here!

We buy a case of water in 500ml bottles every week. We use them once and then they get recycled. So long as all plastics are sent for recycling, there is no environmental impact to the landfills. All plastics can be reused except for styrofoam because there is no market for it. I pushed our purchasing dept. at work a few years ago to approach our suppliers to get rid of styrofoam in their packaging as we would no longer accept it. These are companies like IBM, HP and EMC. They have all complied and now use molded cardboard replacing the styrofoam.

We buy a case of water in 500ml bottles every week. We use them once and then they get recycled. So long as all plastics are sent for recycling, there is no environmental impact to the landfills. All plastics can be reused except for styrofoam because there is no market for it. I pushed our purchasing dept. at work a few years ago to approach our suppliers to get rid of styrofoam in their packaging as we would no longer accept it. These are companies like IBM, HP and EMC. They have all complied and now use molded cardboard replacing the styrofoam.
That's only good if your city actually recycles the stuff they collect for recycling. Apparently Montreal only actually recycles about 5% of what they collect as recycling. The other 95% goes in the landfill along with the regular garbage. :ermm:

I'm not sure what Dollard-des-Ormeaux, the city where I live, does.

One of the little towns around here thought they were recycling, but their service was just picking up the recyclbles and dumping them into the landfill. I think they fired the guy who authorized the dumping.

Our recycling started out being mandatory, but ended up being voluntary. We quit when we saw the garbage man pick up the recycling bins and dump them in the garbage truck. We only had recycling for glass and aluminum cans. There is a truck that comes around to pick them up for recycling, but no one knows when they are coming. Now we crush and cash in our cans at the recycle center. Also, our community center recycles newspaper to pay for fireworks on Independence Day.

We take our plastic grocery bags back for recycling. I don't know what they do with them.

Our recycling started out being mandatory, but ended up being voluntary. We quit when we saw the garbage man pick up the recycling bins and dump them in the garbage truck. We only had recycling for glass and aluminum cans. There is a truck that comes around to pick them up for recycling, but no one knows when they are coming. Now we crush and cash in our cans at the recycle center. Also, our community center recycles newspaper to pay for fireworks on Independence Day.

We take our plastic grocery bags back for recycling. I don't know what they do with them.

Our Recycle truck goes right behind the trash truck. Don't get stuck driving behind them. You could be a few hours late for your appointment. The recycle truck has three bins. One each for metal, glass and paper products. Our recycle containers are on the first floor. Some of the folks on the second floor will bring their stuff down there. Most of us don't. And forget the folks on the third floor. The problem is the size of the trash rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Just big enough to hold four large trash cans with covers. :angel:

I've never seen these bottles, Andy. Looks like a good idea. I'll have to look around for them.

The link gives the price @ $14.00 but I believe she paid around $7.00. Plastic bottles irritate her lips so she seldom drinks from plastic.

One of the little towns around here thought they were recycling, but their service was just picking up the recyclbles and dumping them into the landfill. I think they fired the guy who authorized the dumping.

I've collected a lot of articles about recycling and some of them aren't exactly reassuring. And nothing is easy or cheap, to do it right.

Here is just one city's experience:
http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/local/30722192-75/glass-curbside-landfills-recycling-bottles.html.csp

I continue to 'recycle' but I don't have my rose-tinted glasses (pun intended) on when I do it. Every little bit helps and I hope that eventually it will all get sorted out (pun intended).

Since China implemented their Green Fence Initiative we can no longer send so much of our (mainly) plastic waste there. But where is it going?

Regardless of any urban legend surrounding plastic bottles, what's clear is that the disposable bottles are manufactured from finite resources and are bad for the environment.
Much better to buy a sports water bottle that's dishwasher safe and made be refilled as many times as you like.

I agree and take it even further. First bottled water is not free, its expensive and tap water while not free is maybe thousands times less expensive.
Second. Disposable plastic water bottles are frankly stupid. They are a scourge to our planet and take many many, years to decompose.
My suggestion is to put a deposit on plastic water bottles or outlaw them completely.
Should an empty disposable water bottle have a value, I bet it would not take long to see them disappear from roadsides and the ocean.

I read recently that it isn't a good idea. The same article said that it isn't advisable to keep a bottle of water in the car. According to the article chemicals (dioxins and others) from the plastic can leach out into the water especially in heat and sunlight.

However the Cancer Research UK (CRUK) website says that this is a hoax and comes from emails and the articles stemming from them which spread the story about the "dangers" of re-using the bottles generally warn people about freezing water in plastic bottles, reusing plastic water bottles, leaving plastic bottles in cars and microwaving food in plastic containers or covered with plastic films.

CRUK (the world's largest independent cancer research charity) says there is no convincing scientific evidence to back up these claims or to suggest that any of these products could cause cancer. Some of these emails credit the warnings about plastics to Johns Hopkins University in America, but CRUK says that JHU has denied any involvement in them.

However, this doesn't approach the problem of germs breeding on the neck of the bottle.

I would assume that those against disposable plastic bottles for any reason are not the same people who make their livings from these bottles.
You must always look hard at where these facts come from before deciding who to believe.

I personally NEVER EVER purchase bottles water. We are fortunate that we have very good tap water. I am of the opinion that disposable plastic water bottles must go or they must be assigned a value.

My suggestion is to put a deposit on plastic water bottles or outlaw them completely.
Should an empty disposable water bottle have a value, I bet it would not take long to see them disappear from roadsides and the ocean.

I would assume that those against disposable plastic bottles for any reason are not the same people who make their livings from these bottles.
You must always look hard at where these facts come from before deciding who to believe.

I am of the opinion that disposable plastic water bottles must go or they must be assigned a value.

Bazinga!
Bazinga!
Bazinga!

I'll have to look up how much money is spent in lobbying by those manufacturers of plastic bottles. I'm going to guess a ***t-load! :glare:

Cui bono---- or follow the money. It's always there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom