"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
ChefJune, you are so LUCKY to have the kind of money it takes to buy that WONDERFUL beef. Here, not only is it not available, but it would cost me a weeks wages just to get enough to feed us.
I have seen this comment in several other related threads. Some folks claim they simply can not afford to purchase grass fed beef, groceries from Whole Foods, or organic food stuffs. From what I have read from these same folks' other posts, they are not being honest with themselves. It clearly is a matter of priority, not a matter of economics. If they can purchase alcohol, wine, liquor, and take trips, buy kitchen toys; then the truth is that they do not have enough money to do all things they want to do. When they prioritize, and the trip to Whole Foods does not take place, then they claim they can not afford to buy their groceries there.

I, for one, place a very high priority on obtaining natural, unadulterated, whole foods. One needs to be creative in this practice. A ten pound bag of fresh potatoes costs much less than frozen potatoes, and can yield many more meals.

My medical expenses over the past 20 years have been $00.00, and I am rarely sick. I think that is no concindence.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #12
Head Chef

I heard this back many years ago. I wish all of you had the opportunity I had growing up to have fresh, grass fed beef!!!! No Hormones, no additives and aged the right way. As has been said, all things in moderation!! Shoot, any and everything can kill you; especially now days. Just use commonsense.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I love driving down the road and seeing the cattle out grazing in the fields - the goats and sheep are all out there eating what they are supposed to eat. Then we drive by a dairy and there are the cows standing in muck and eating sileage (the smell of which just gags me). Why????? Why can't the cows eat proper food for cows???? Bob and I keep trying to find one of these ranchers out here that will sell to us. I see a huge goat herd 2 miles from us - but they don't milk them, we're unsure as to what they do do with them. But I'd sure like a few gallons of goats milk and some rennet.

We spend more of our budget on food than the average couple. But we eat well. We used to shop at a particular discount grocery store - their produce looked lovely, and they had an incredible variety - but it never lasted more than a day or two before it would begin to rot. It wasn't worth the pennies that were saved. But people flock there because it's so cheap.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
But I'd sure like a few gallons of goats milk and some rennet.
I've got the rennet, Sharon, you get the milk! We'll be in business!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh yes!!!! Nothing better than chevre made at home, wrapped in herbs, melted onto a . . . . anything. All I seem to be able to find is the stuff in the grocery stores. I want the fresh stuff - right out of the goat!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
I love driving down the road and seeing the cattle out grazing in the fields - the goats and sheep are all out there eating what they are supposed to eat. Then we drive by a dairy and there are the cows standing in muck and eating sileage (the smell of which just gags me). Why????? Why can't the cows eat proper food for cows????
My guess would be this; The beef cow probably does not have much on their agenda any given day, munch grass a bit, chew cud a bit, no where to go but the pasture. But the dairy cow, now that is a working animal. She probably needs to be milked twice a day. And the farmer person really does not want to be running around the pasture trying to collect the milkers. Thus, you are likely to see the milkers in a corral, waiting to be milked. These corrals will be muddy and smelly. But it saves time for the person doing the milking if the milkers are ready and waiting for the chore. Silage is excellent food for any ruminant. Hopefully they also have access to pasture when not waiting for the milking routine.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
Everymom

I have written and deleted this post several times. I find myself unwilling to upset, even though I myself am upset.

When someone says they can't afford something, please accept their word for it. You have no way of knowing their situation and to imply their priorities are not straight is not nice. Everyone is entitled to set their own priorities.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to agree with Alix, as I usually do. Fine principles are all well and good, and more power to those who can walk that narrow line of rectitude.

I'll stop now before the real Scorpio stinger comes out,
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
Head Chef

I am going to take a slightly different approach to this, the one I did when I first read about the paper.

This is one study, others have not shown any relationship between the ingestion of red meat and breast cancer. The article quoted above admits that.

It conclusions may be true, but then again I remember a study in a very prestigious medical journal some 20 years ago that absolutely tied an increased risk of pancreatic cancer to coffee intake. People started shunning coffee. The data have since been dismissed, by the way. I read something a while back stating that coffee drinking can actually be protective against some disorder (I forget which one, such articles are very common and most do not survive the light of continued medical scrutiny for very long, so I rarely pay much heed).

If folks want to limit their intake of red meats, great.

If they want to purchase meat from animals raised organically, and on no drugs, all the more power to them.

My only point is that I do not believe folks should take this one study as gospel; this article is hot off the presses and the medical community has not yet had time to digest and comment.

It may reflect a truth, but it may not. Time will tell.

In the meanwhile, modify your diet, or do not, as you feel comfortable.

Eited for grammar, I hate when I have to do that. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
My only point is that I do not believe folks should take this one study as gospel; this article is hot off the presses and the medical community has not yet had time to digest and comment.

It may reflect a truth, but it may not. Time will tell.
Hear hear auntdot. And I reiterate my earlier post about the amounts of red meat consumed daily. I don't know many women (or men either) who routinely consume 1.5 servings of red meat DAILY for an extended period of time.

I wish I could remember who said "everything in moderation, including moderation".