Red meat link to breast cancers - BBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get Free Range Red meat at reasonable prices if you look hard enough - try your local butcher - The price is not so bad as usually there is much less waste - you loose much less in the cooking process so dollar for dollar it is about the same price.. I have done alot of research in this area esp. the link between hormones and antibiotics given to farm animals and products as to reverse affects - If anyone wants more details please let me know -

Last edited:
Did you actually say "your local butcher" - oh, now those are days gone by!!!! I so wish we had one! The ONE we did have that went out of business I requested some andouilli sausage - I had to buy 50 lbs. of it and he didn't tell me - I bought it and never went back - I gave it away as Christmas presents!

kitchenelf said:
Did you actually say "your local butcher" - oh, now those are days gone by!!!! I so wish we had one! The ONE we did have that went out of business I requested some andouilli sausage - I had to buy 50 lbs. of it and he didn't tell me - I bought it and never went back - I gave it away as Christmas presents!
Oh no...Have you tried a local farmer?? BTW - I would have hunted the butcher down and hit him with all 50lbs of that sausage - lol:angel:

Reanie525i said:
Oh no...Have you tried a local farmer?? BTW - I would have hunted the butcher down and hit him with all 50lbs of that sausage - lol:angel:

You made me spit my wine AGAIN Reanie - did you say "local farmer"???????????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Let's see, what do we "have" local - ummmm - some corn....some fruits....some tomatoes....standard vegetable fare in the summer sort of - if you keep it simple.

No farms, no dairy farms, no meat market, no seafood monger (other than what is found in the local grocery store). There is a farmer's market on Saturday morning (well, not anymore - just a few months in the summer) - but it's all VERY standard stuff.

MMMMMMMMM...I'm thinking - we have some killer BBQ joints (pulled pork, ribs) and some "fish camps" - you want it fried they got it. MMMMM....still thinking....I won't give up totally - I'll keep thinking! :chef:

I am talking to Alix on MSN and she said she had yellow beans for dinner - we can only get those in a CAN - at SOME stores, not all. There are never any fresh ones nor are there any frozen ones - strictly green beans.

kitchenelf said:
I am talking to Alix on MSN and she said she had yellow beans for dinner - we can only get those in a CAN - at SOME stores, not all. There are never any fresh ones nor are there any frozen ones - strictly green beans.

And mine came from my garden. Nyah nyah! :ROFLMAO: I'm really lucky with my meat purchases too, I can often get mine right off the ranch. 4H beef at its finest.

OK, done gloating. Love you Elfie!:angel:

Alix said:
And mine came from my garden. Nyah nyah! :ROFLMAO: I'm really lucky with my meat purchases too, I can often get mine right off the ranch. 4H beef at its finest.

OK, done gloating. Love you Elfie!:angel:

:dry: ....................... There's gonna be HALF A WORM in one of those beans you bite into!!!! Man, since I can't have any good beef can I have another picture of some of that good ol' Alberta beef again????? :blush:

All I can say is that eating red meat everyday, whether it be a man or a woman is not good, IMO. Who volunteers for these studies, I have no idea, but studies have suggested that red meat is not good in large or frequent amounts.

I dont understand why red meats would cause breast cancer in women. Men can get breast cancer, so where is there a comparable study in men based on eating this amount of red meat per day?

kitchenelf said:
You made me spit my wine AGAIN Reanie - did you say "local farmer"???????????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Let's see, what do we "have" local - ummmm - some corn....some fruits....some tomatoes....standard vegetable fare in the summer sort of - if you keep it simple.

No farms, no dairy farms, no meat market, no seafood monger (other than what is found in the local grocery store). There is a farmer's market on Saturday morning (well, not anymore - just a few months in the summer) - but it's all VERY standard stuff.

MMMMMMMMM...I'm thinking - we have some killer BBQ joints (pulled pork, ribs) and some "fish camps" - you want it fried they got it. MMMMM....still thinking....I won't give up totally - I'll keep thinking! :chef:

OK - I plead ignorant - Where are you located?? Should we send supplies --- OR just come over for dinner supplies in hand????:LOL:

Reanie525i said:
OK - I plead ignorant - Where are you located?? Should we send supplies --- OR just come over for dinner supplies in hand????:LOL:

ROFLMAO - PLEASE - come with supplies in hand!!!!! I swear I live in "any city, USA" - it's just NOT a farming area, dairy area. It's a "deep fried", and pulled pork area. AW heck, I forgot we have a couple llama farms not too far away! :-p And we are the HOME OF NASCAR!!!!!

(you made me spit wine again! :-p )

kitchenelf said:
ROFLMAO - PLEASE - come with supplies in hand!!!!! I swear I live in "any city, USA" - it's just NOT a farming area, dairy area. It's a "deep fried", and pulled pork area. AW heck, I forgot we have a couple llama farms not too far away! :-p And we are the HOME OF NASCAR!!!!!

(you made me spit wine again! :-p )
Not to worry - WINE is the number one supply to bring - so spit to your hearts content!!!!:LOL:

kitchenelf said:
:dry: ....................... There's gonna be HALF A WORM in one of those beans you bite into!!!! Man, since I can't have any good beef can I have another picture of some of that good ol' Alberta beef again????? :blush:
Keep eating those worms and we can put you on FEAR FACTOR!!!:LOL: :sick:

DH and I don't eat beef that often. We choose to eat what we consider "ethically" so rather than compromise on that that we just don't have it so often, therefore we are not spending more on it. Hence steaks/beef roasts inparticular are a rare and wonderful occasion in our home. We really appreciate it when we have it. Minced beef is had a little more often as it ischeaper, especially if its nt minced steak you need. Special offers on mince are snapped up and frozen.

Re portions: chili nights/bolognese nights I almost always succomb to a smaller second serving....assuming my portions are the same as theirs that has taken me over the daily limit as defined by them (although I appreciate I don't eat beef anything like every day!)

I am not sure how much credance I give to the study, but I think there is a truth that in the Western World we are a bit blase about our meat and many people do eat too much, which we do know isn't healthy. There have been a lot of food saftey scares related to meat production methods and this concerns me almost as much as my personal ethical decision.

It is each to his own, and I would not criticise anybody personally for making other decisions, but I also feel I have to defend my decsion to shop and eat in the way I do. Its not just "rich" people who are making that decision. DH has been a student for the last two years, and I was working on not much more than minimum wage to support us. Outside London it was much easier. The joy for me now, staying in my family home right now is that I am doing the cooking and my parents are giving me extra for them. The amazing thing, is I am spending nothing like they do on food usually.

Like dear Alix said, I don't want to upset anyone at all, and I hope it is accepted that I am stating what I do not necessarily what I think anyone else should do.

I only eat red meat about twice a week - mostly we eat chicken, fish or vegetarian foods. All the meat I buy is organic. That's been my choice for over ten years - and the prices are steeper than regular meat at supermarkets. BUT, that's how I choose to aportion my budget - I buy meat at a local butcher (and very, very rarely at one of the more expensive supermarket chains in the UK). I do not eat a totally organic diet - far too much fussing for my busy lifestyle.... but, where possible I buy organically raised foodstuffs.

Doesn't mean that I'm right and those that buy lots of cheaper cuts of red meat and eat it ever day are wrong... just that we have made different health decisions, whether based on knowledge or financial constraints.

I believe in moderation in all things, still eat butter rather than margarine or low-fat spreads, have always eaten a 'mediterranean' based diet, eat very little sugars and sweet things, although I love to bake and adore making puddings for guests! And still I have succumbed to diabetes and other debilitating conditions. It just ain't FAIR.:ROFLMAO:

e eat alot of venison, beef is to costly and not that good. Will have a home fed beef coming soon. The only way to get good beef is to raise it yourself.Feed lots should be out lawed.

Ishbel said:
I only eat red meat about twice a week - mostly we eat chicken, fish or vegetarian foods. All the meat I buy is organic. That's been my choice for over ten years - and the prices are steeper than regular meat at supermarkets. BUT, that's how I choose to aportion my budget - I buy meat at a local butcher (and very, very rarely at one of the more expensive supermarket chains in the UK). I do not eat a totally organic diet - far too much fussing for my busy lifestyle.... but, where possible I buy organically raised foodstuffs.

Doesn't mean that I'm right and those that buy lots of cheaper cuts of red meat and eat it ever day are wrong... just that we have made different health decisions, whether based on knowledge or financial constraints.

I believe in moderation in all things, still eat butter rather than margarine or low-fat spreads, have always eaten a 'mediterranean' based diet, eat very little sugars and sweet things, although I love to bake and adore making puddings for guests! And still I have succumbed to diabetes and other debilitating conditions. It just ain't FAIR.:ROFLMAO:

Indeed, life is unfair. In any case, you might want to try drinking sage tea and bittergourd tea for your condition. These herbal teas are known to help regulate blood sugar levels. If fresh young bittergourds are available in your area, you can squeeze them for juice and drink it. For the mature ones, you can cook them with eggs and serve as a vegetable dish.

lulu and Ishbel, thanks for your comments. I think we can all appreciate the choices folks make for their own lives and we respect them. Just as we appreciate that no one imposes their values upon us.

I was talking via PM with a friend who buys "ethically raised" meat. I am a little closer to my meat producer (usually) and get stuff off the farm. Chickens, 4H beef etc. Still, when we aren't able to get the 4H stuff I have no qualms about going to the store for a roast. Different strokes for different folks. I think she still likes me, and I still like her!

Frankly, we can't afford beef more than 2x a week whether its ethically raised or not. Its just danged expensive. I guess that means we eat a healthier diet because I'm a cheapskate!:LOL:

Thank you for the suggestions, Boufa - but I think I'll stick with the medications from my GP.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom