Replacing Onions & Garlic - allergy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbdbdb

Assistant Cook
Hey,

my husband is allergic to onions and garlic and has not been able to taste their great falvour in his food for the last 3 years!

Does anyone know what I can use to replace onions and garlic in my cooking?? Preferably a vegetarian substitute since we're strict vegetarians:)

Last edited:
Is he allergic to all types of onions? If so, then chives would also be out.

You could dice radishes that have been underwatered, (not under water) as they can be quite spicy, thus subbing for the onion.

For the garlic - boy, that's a hard one. I'll have to think on that for a while.

Another thought is to use various chiles. There are so many different varieties, you may find a good match for the onions.

perhaps chives or leeks have less of the problem chemical ? WHat is the part causing the allergy? Consultant an herbalist or nutritionist.

dbdbdb said:
Hey,

my husband is allergic to onions and garlic and has not been able to taste their great falvour in his food for the last 3 years!

Does anyone know what I can use to replace onions and garlic in my cooking?? Preferably a vegetarian substitute since we're strict vegetarians:)

If they are dried is he still alergic to them? How about just garlic/onion powder?

Thanks! a lot! These are great ideas!

by coriander roots... does it just mean the stalk like things at the bottom of a bunch of coriander?

And I've never heard of underwatered raddish... where d'you get that from?:ermm:
And yes, he's allergic to all types of onion and garlic... even dried

I'd say you'll just have to get your flavor in different ways. You'd be surprised at how many foods taste great with just salt & pepper. Some other hints...

A squeeze of fresh lemon perks up almost any dish.
A pinch of sugar can do wonders for a lot of vegies, gravies and sauces. So does a pat of butter.
Experiment with herbs, to see what flavors you like. Parsley, rosemary, thyme, sweet basil and oregano are some good ones to start with.
Look at things like sweet and sour and other flavorful sauces that don't have to have onions or garlic.

:) Constance has said it all. All I can think of next is ,is there a culture in the whole world that doesn't use onions and garlic? I feel really bad for your husband,Is it possible to go to a doctor and get allergy shots for this?I think you can get pretty creative in making his food more interesting like avocados with just lemon and salt and pepper.This is a really tough one and the fact he is vegetarian makes it even harder because a steak and baked potato could be quite satisfying. So are you saying you dont eat cheese either?What kind of of vegetarian are you vegan or or something else?

Last edited:
dbdbdb said:
by coriander roots... does it just mean the stalk like things at the bottom of a bunch of coriander?

Coriander (or Cilantro) root is the actual root at the base of the coriander stalk. It is white in color, though one has to first wash off all traces of soil. In Thailand it is a very common cooking ingredient, as the flavor of Coriander leaves and stems does not hold up at all when subjected to heat. Coriander root however beautifully imparts the flavor of coriander during cooking.

I must say though that the flavor one gets from coriander root is exactly that of coriander leaves/stems. In no way can it be mistaken for the taste of garlic, so I'm a bit surprised about the tip on garlic substitution.

There is a cooking tradition which avoids both onions and garlic. Both are considered to stimulate passions, though I can't figure out how these could do that. This cuisine is followed by many Brahmins (the upper caste in India). Maybe you could google and find out more about their cooking methods.

Rask

Last edited:
Db,

There are lots of recipes out there that don't require onion or garlic. My mom has a wonderful chicken dish using just ginger, sesame oil and black pepper. Another dish, lemon chicken uses just lemons and lemon juice concentrate for flavoring. You can do an orange chicken version too. There's also beef with red bell peppers or green bell peppers. You can do sweet sour sauce on pork, chicken or fish. Steaks are great with just S&P. I can go on and on...

I just can't think of any substitute for garlic or onion (and all its kin) that would deliver the same flavors...!

On the old Food Talk of Lynn Rosetto Kasper someone asked this and got a lot of good advice, as I recall. It is now a read only thing (having switched to THE most user unfriendly posting site on the internet). If you go to NPR.org and click on her site, you may find some things to help.

Chopstix said:
Db,

There are lots of recipes out there that don't require onion or garlic. My mom has a wonderful chicken dish using just ginger, sesame oil and black pepper. Another dish, lemon chicken uses just lemons and lemon juice concentrate for flavoring. You can do an orange chicken version too. There's also beef with red bell peppers or green bell peppers. You can do sweet sour sauce on pork, chicken or fish. Steaks are great with just S&P. I can go on and on...

I just can't think of any substitute for garlic or onion (and all its kin) that would deliver the same flavors...!

None of those will work for a vegetarian though... :ermm: I can't imagine never being able to have either garlic or onion... I'd be looking in every imaginable direction for a cure.... but then going without meat would be even harder for me... :(

RPCookin said:
None of those will work for a vegetarian though... :ermm: :(

Ooops I didn't notice the poster is a strict vegetarian. My point remains though, that there are many options for seasoning food using herbs, spices and other vegetables, just don't expect to get even nearly the same taste as garlic or onion.

Asafoetida`s pretty close though, in fact when you smell it, Garlic/Onion is the 1`st things that jumps into mind.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of allergy? Digestive distress? Hives? Anaphylactic shock? Some allergies/sensitivities are manageable, others aren't.

I have an onion sensitivity also, and avoided them for years due to the abdominal discomfort and embarrassment to myself and those around me. If this is the case with him, have you tried supplements like Beano or GasX or something similar before eating? They've helped me a bit and I'm no longer afraid of stumbling across an onion and suffering the rest of the night (along with those around me... sorry guys!).

Strange and yet Fascinating!

Normaly it`s a certain type of Fiber in foods that creates flatulance, and although onions do contain a little it seems strange for Fiber to be responsible.
Hmm...
I wonder what IS responsible?

there`s certainly a lot of Sugar(s) in them, and traces of alylisothiocyanate, and Phosphorus compounds.

You`ve got me Intrigued now :)
and no sorry neeeded, in My opnion anyway.

well the flavors of onion and garlic won't be substituted for but lots of vegetables can help create texture and sauces etc. celeriac (celery root) fennel bulb, are both mild lovely vegetables...saute well, go into au gratins well, give nice flavor and texture. parsnips are sweet with a bit of a lemmony bite, saute and roast well. And of course with lots of spices such as found in Indian cuisine, the onion and garlic won't be missed.

Back
Top Bottom