"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Salt question

I suppose I should ask my Dr. this question when I go next week, but they are normally so salt-phobic that I don't know if I would get a proper answer. Some people's blood pressure is affected by salt quite a bit, and some are not. Does that go hand in hand with the fluid retention or not? In other words, do people who's blood pressure is not affected by salt, still retain fluids the same as a salt sensitive person? Or are they two separate issues, and everyone retains fluid with salt? I don't get it. I have low blood pressure, and love salty foods. Am I still retaining more fluid by eating salty foods?

BC

Old 04-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Not exactly sure but a friend of mine has absolutely no blood pressure problems and is affected by salt i.e., bloating, fluid retention, etc., as well as my husband. I have high blood pressure and am also affected by excess salt.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i'm affected by it too, though my bf's grandmother isn't.

i guess it depends on the individual since everyone is diiferent.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Head Chef

Question about Salt. Salt does not really have anything to do with fat or real weight right, just water weight? If i drink alot of water, can it balance it out?

Also, if i used to eat tons of salt, but now, i eat very little, and i used to drink very little water, but now, drink tons, can i expect to lose alot of water weight? thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yes, salt can cause water retention in the very healthiest of people. Once upon a time, military personnel were issued salt tablets when having to perform strenuous duty in places where the appropriate amount of water was unavailable -- purposefully trying to retain water. Most women retain water at different hormonal times (cycles, pregnancy). Most men I've known don't have that much problem with it until they go on blood pressure meds, some of which can cause fluid retention in some people. Strangely enough, for many healthy people, the answer to fluid retention is simply more water to flush the sodium out. Many dieters fall into the trap of using OTC diuretics, then not drinking enough water. You'll wind up in the emergency room (know two women who did). "Natural" diuretics are caffeine, alcohol, asparagus. Needless to say, the middle one can cause dangerous dehydration when overindulged. Who out there knows what other fruits and veggies act as diuretics? There have to be more. Water weight really varies by time of day -- right after your workout, or first thing in the morning, there will be less. It is simply a mistake to consider this a problem unless it really IS (talk to your doctor, who will let you know). Obsessing about water weight when on a weight loss program is really a frustration. Chose one time of day to weigh, and the water weight will be about the same, so simply won't matter.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

It affects my blood pressure somwhat. The major problem for me is fluid retention. If I am retaining, my hands and feet will swell to the point that I can't remove my rings and socks leave indentations on my legs.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Who out there knows what other fruits and veggies act as diuretics? There have to be more.
Watermelon comes to mind. It always seems to flush out my system very well!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You

Just read this doctor's book states blood pressure should be 115/75! Wondering if they set these levels to make us attain high standards? I have always thought 120/80 was the right pressure. Also, states important to your arteries how this blood flow is. It is not necessarily how much you weigh that matters but the blood flow.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
Sous Chef

They have recently lowered the standard for healthy blood pressure, so that must be what you read recently, ITK. I have always read on the low side, about 110/70 and have never noticed any fluid retention, but early this year I had a terrible illness which affected my heart, so now I see a cardiologist periodically.

They had me on a low salt diet in the hospital, but that was because of the heart episode, which has now been remedied, other than a couple of leaky valves. I just wonder if I should be concerned with salt in the diet when I don't see a blood pressure increase or any fluid retention on my normal, fairly salty, diet.

BC
Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Blue Cat

I am praying for your good health to continue. Being aware of some condition is a blessing. Rather than going to doctor and he tells you some terminal problem you may have. Being conscious of your diet is something we all must do. I am sure you have a good doctor who is advising you in the best way. My brother's doctor just told me his kidneys are bad reason his legs are swelling. I can't say if my brother really watched his diet that close. I feel sorry that he has this trouble Fluid retention I understand is connected to the heart. Don't have to tell him; he knows. We all have to live each day the best way we know how. Take good care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. You are not alone.