"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
Master Chef

There are more differences between Halal and Kosher than that, TATTRAT.

While "how" an animal is slaughtered is "one" difference (all things being equal as far as technique - it's the way prayers are offered) - it's not the only difference. Some things that are Kosher are not Halal ... and some things that are Halal in one Muslim sect is Haraam in another (vinegar for one example).

Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
Head Chef

You guys are brilliant!! Its a pretty complicated task for sure, especially cause the teacher didn't specify how strict a muslim the person is. Anyway you have all given her heaps to work with thankyou so much.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Cook

falafel balls (like these here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/231755) would definately eliminate the halal, lactose and nut intolerance and most other problems (like vegetarians). And moreover, they're some of the best (tastiest and healthiest) non-McDo fastfood around.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I would have her search for vegitarian recipes. Most of those are generally kosher and also halal.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Some Moslums consider shellfish to be unacceptable. Apparantly there is some debate among groups. To be safe, you should eliminate shellfish.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Master Chef

I agree that she should center her search on vegetarian recipes - vegans in particular, as they don't consume any dairy products. Any recipe that's certified "vegan" & doesn't have any nut products in it should work fine for all the parameters set.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
Head Chef

As far as your daughter's school assignment help goes there has to be some research that you can do on the internet. Did the school give her any suggestions.

I hope she figures it all out and the children enjoy everything.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

this sounds like the beginning of a joke: a peanut, a cow, and a muslim walk into a bar...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #19
Everymom

mrsmac, thanks for this thread, I'm learning a ton about dietary requirements that I never knew before.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Halal meat can be difficult to obtain in Australia. I am sure in the big smoke of Sydney it's not so much of a problem, but I bet the teacher would be impressed if said daughter researched the availablity and included a sentence on that! When I lived in Tasmania, the two halal butchers closed, so my muslim friends were reduced to fish and vegetables. Some of my muslim friends would eat non halal chicken some wouldn't.

Here you can buy halal meat at my local supermarket! And in my old suburb it was actually difficult to buy non Halal or non Kosher meat (I lived smack bang between a muslim area and a jewish one)

Beware hidden pork. Gelatine is a no no, Muslims use agar agar which is a seaweed derivative. I have some muslim friends who have an "ignorance is an excuse" policy and believe they are not held accountable for accidentally ingesting things that are not allowed, others go to great lengths to ensure that there is no chance they are having something forbidden.