"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Small changes to healthy eating

I am NOT healthy but I'd like to do better. So I have questions very specific to my diet and I'm hoping to get some alternative food suggestions.

Breakfast-Two small sausage links (200cal) and one egg.
Lunch-Half turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with mustard. Bowtie pasta on side.
Dinner-Either chicken or salmon, brown rice, veggies (broccoli is my fav).
Snack-Granola bar with chocolate
Alcohol-very minimal, single drink on wednesday night and friday night. I mostly drink water

I realize there is probably a lot to criticize in my diet. I'm really looking for alternate suggestions so I can do better. Obviously most of these foods are easy to make so I'd like to continue with easy if possible.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

What makes you think this is not a healthy diet? It looks pretty good to me. There are ways you can make it better, but really there is no need unless a Dr. has said so. If you really need to make it healthier for whatever reason then use egg whites instead of whole eggs for your breakfast and substitute some fruit for the sausage. If you are enjoying the egg and sausage though don't worry too much about it.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to DC

I think your diet is pretty healthy, although I would suggest you beef up the fruits and veggies. Maybe make an omelet for breakfast, add some veggies to it and forgo one sausage. Add some veggies to the pasta or a piece of fruit to your lunch and lettuce and tomato to the sandwich, or change it up some days and have a salad topped with turkey. And add a salad or sautéed veggies to your dinner.

Fruits and veggies have a lot of vitamins and minerals that are probably lacking in your diet. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

I agree with GG more fruit and veg. Keep it simple and easy at first, apples, clementines, bananas, bag salad, V-8, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, no prep work involved, just grab n' go.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

More veggies sound good. Love carrots, brussels sprouts, zucchini etc. I was concerned about the carbs from the bread, bow tie pasta and rice though. Substitutes? I love having that extra texture. Not so big on totally soft foods. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Why are you so concerned? It does not seem like you are eating an excessive amount of carbs. There is nothing wrong with having carbs in moderation.

Some things you could consider for substitutions if you really want to though might be quinoa or spaghetti squash.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you for your post. I am overweight and have limited ability to exercise due to some physical problems. So I am trying to shave off a few calories in the diet and just eat healthier in general. Perhaps I should have said that at the beginning but instead I just said "healthy eating." I really do appreciate the help.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Unfortunately, without exercise there is not a lot more you can do. There are areas of your diet where you can shave off a few calories here or there, but how much of a difference will those few saved calories really make realistically? The one drink a week that you have is calories you could do without. The chocolate in your granola snack you could do without. You do not say how much chocolate is in it, but I get the impression from the rest of what you are eating that you are trying your hardest to eat right so I am thinking you don't have a ton of chocolate in there. You do need to allow yourself some enjoyment in eating too. Adding fruits and veggies is a good way to round out what you are already eating for a healthy diet, but loosing weight comes down to using more calories than you take in. That is the bottom line. Your menu looks like it is a reasonable menu for a healthy lifestyle. Cutting back on the calories to try to lose more weight without changing your activity level is not going to be noticeably effective. Have you consulted your doctor for exercises that you can do because of your physical issues? That is going to be your best bet for weight loss.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I began visiting the gym three weeks ago. I can do light bicycle and treadmill and am hoping to build up. I really need to improve.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Think about it this way: Most white foods like bread, pasta and rice (not potatoes) have calories but minimal nutrition. Colorful fruits and veggies have lots of nutrients.

Check out this site for inspiration and more information - and a handy list you can use when making up your grocery list http://whfoods.com

Tags
eating, health, healthy