"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #31
Cook

Mama's fried chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I love to cook as well, I love food and socializing. I am the cook in my husband's and my family. I am always volunteered to do the family gatherings and holiday meals. I check out your site and the fried chicken recipe is one that I have to try, just looking at it made my mouth water. I will try your recipe as soon as I can get to the grocery store! Which will be this afternoon, because I will be thinking of fried chicken all day!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Above 30 (at least I think it is 30) does not give you any additional protection. 30 is the same as 100 just as covering yourself in lead would give you the same protection as being inside.
Yeah, but it sounds all industrial-like and cool

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Doesn't spf 100 turn you back to pasty white? :)
Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Doesn't spf 100 turn you back to pasty white? :)
Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeper76 View Post
I love to cook as well, I love food and socializing. I am the cook in my husband's and my family. I am always volunteered to do the family gatherings and holiday meals. I check out your site and the fried chicken recipe is one that I have to try, just looking at it made my mouth water. I will try your recipe as soon as I can get to the grocery store! Which will be this afternoon, because I will be thinking of fried chicken all day!
I hope you enjoy it!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #36
Master Chef

pasty white skin vs melanoma......what would I rather see......sorry guys.............it's an issue with me..........just ignore me..............saw the huge golfball they took out of my green-eyed red-headed friend in LA (the state).... pretty impressive........she wanted another child and the doctors concurred and unanimously voted "absolutely not" might spread the cancer cells thru her body......no guarantee that they had gotten all of them in the first place..........just wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun if you can............
Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #37
Cook

Let me tell you.... from experience....Im 43 years old....had Mohs surgery twice...15 stitches internal/external on my chest.... 15 stitches internal/external on my collarbone.... plus at least 10 other scrapings all over my body from skin cancer.......all from sunburns 10 years ago. It wont surface for many years but it WILL come back to remind you of what you did wrong.

USE sunBLOCK ... not sunscreen. USE SUNBLOCK WITH UVB/UVA (both) protection. Preferably with the ingredient HELIOPLEX. If sunblock stings on your face ... get a prescription from a Dermatologist for "SILK" sunblock. You can still get too much sun through clothing so shop for UV protection clothing if affordable.

Trust me... I learned the HARD way... and still go back every 6 months for followups. But I sure as heck slather on the goops and stay out of the sun as much as possible now.

And as far as the "lukearm" debate. Im sure that was intended to be "as cool as you can handle it in a bath".... which most people need to add a teeny bit of warm. Maybe they should call that "lukeCOOL". You want your extrerier body temp to cool down but not chill up your innards...LOL
Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniaBchGirl View Post
...And as far as the "lukearm" debate. Im sure that was intended to be "as cool as you can handle it in a bath".... which most people need to add a teeny bit of warm. Maybe they should call that "lukeCOOL". You want your extrerier body temp to cool down but not chill up your innards...LOL
That's my point. Although luke warm is warmer than room temperature, it is still cooler than your body temperature. But I probably shouldn't comment on this anymore or I'll have to get Buckytom some lukewarm milk!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Looks like most of us are correct.
See:
Page Not Found (huh, I don't know why this happened)
It was a google for sunburn relief, and I got Motherearthnews.com article from 08-01-2002. Oh, well

but no eggplant or plantain for me. Don't want to attract bugs!

Peeper, it's more than 24 hours later, and I'm sure your
baby is feeling alittle better.
What did you wind up doing? Just curious.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeper76 View Post
Was out with my son today by the lake and got sunburned! Bought the solarcaine aloe vera gel, but not working well. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Some gin and a Tylenol PM helps me