Solution for a sunburn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peeper76

Cook
Was out with my son today by the lake and got sunburned! :( Bought the solarcaine aloe vera gel, but not working well. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I only use Aloe Vera on my sunburns and it works...I have about 4 plants here and have more babies so I am separating them in their individual pots this summer so I have more as they are very useful in almost anything from shampoo to drinks.

Witch Hazel on a soft wash cloth just layed on top of where the burn is. Keep an alternate cloth for when the first gets warm. Keep re-applying
It takes the sting out.
I'm a fair skinned, strawberry-blond, so I've had many of occasions to use this myself.
Poor baby. Good luck.​

Aloe is the only thing I use too, but often times there is nothing that will help other than time. Take some Advil too if it is really bad.

Another vote for Aloe. I have a plant near my kitchen, and just cut off a tip and rub on any burn. I don't know about commercial aloe products. I use it right off the plant.

Was out with my son today by the lake and got sunburned! :( Bought the solarcaine aloe vera gel, but not working well. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Peeper,
Try Calomine/Calamine lotion or yogurt smoothed on to the affected skin. I have used both successfully.

Good luck,
Archiduc

Soaking in a tub filled with lukewarm water and Aveeno Oatmeal bath for about 15 minutes will help soothe the skin.

:) Take a cup of apple cider vinegar add a good slash of cold water and blot on the skin. It can work wonders, if it's a bad sunburn it will still make little wonders.

A nice cool shower! Then aloe.... all you can do it soothe it.
Nothing but time will cure it.

bottled aloe vera gels don't work as well as the actual goop that is scraped from the inside of and aloe "leaf".

go out and buy a big aloe plant, lop off one of the leafs (one of the pointy stems), slice in half and scrape out the mucillageny with a spoon or fork.

it looks like chunky snot, but it absorbs into your skin quickly, except for the larger chunks of snot of course, and it works miraculously.

btw, mama, the worst thing you can do to a burn is make it hotter by taking a warm bath. a cool bath, maybe, but not warm or lukewarm. room temp water feels slightly cool to the touch, so it should be colder than that.

Last edited:
bottled aloe vera gels don't work as well as the actual goop that is scraped from the inside of and aloe "leaf".

go out and buy a big aloe plant, lop off one of the leafs (one of the pointy stems), slice in half and scrape out the mucillageny with a spoon or fork.

it looks like chunky snot, but it absorbs into your skin quickly, except for the larger chunks of snot of course, and it works miraculously.

btw, mama, the worst thing you can do to a burn is make it hotter by taking a warm bath. a cool bath, maybe, but not warm or lukewarm. room temp water feels slightly cool to the touch, so it should be colder than that.

Actually Buckytom, I just did some checking on the internet because I have been treating sunburns with lukewarm oatmeal baths for years. I came across this blog by a dermatologist about treating sunburns.

Here's a quote from his blog, "Avoid hot showers. Instead, take a luke warm bath with Aveeno Collodial Oatmeal. The oatmeal is both a soothing anti-inflammatory and a moisturizer, which are the two things your skin needs most. "

the aveeno oatmeal is good stuff; i've used it with my son who has very sensitive skin.
but you increase cellular damage by applying any amount of heat to the skin, or any compound which retains heat, like the way people used to put butter or ointments on burns. when a burn is severe enough to risk infection, then anti-biotic ointment is applied. but that's a different case than sunburns, usually.
in cooking terms, if you're burnt, you need to be shocked in cold water to stop the cooking process. :chef:
well, shocking in ice water might be a bad idea, but cooloer than room temp helps.

Luke warm water is not hot water. It will not damage your skin. The damage is already done. If you click on the link to the dermatologist blog you will see that he too recommends luke warm water.

Babe - If sun screen reduces the chances of aging, I'm gonna get a whole case. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

start buying your cases, Adillo, I can attest to the results of staying out of the sun and using sunscreen while you're at it........I turned 54 last month and have no wrinkles........why? I started to use sunscreen and wear hats when outside beginning at age 28.........why? I started to get these awful looking brown patches on my face.........dermatologist said it was due to the sun (melasma) and to stay out of it.........I couldn't......I played on a very competitive tennis league........then wear sunscreen even when it's raining and wear a hat at all times............that advice I did follow..........I thank god for his advice until this day........and yet 8 years ago I had a precancerous lesion on my face.....not a big deal........would have been a century before it led to cancer but it was still unsettling esp. after all the precautions I had taken over the years..........now I stay out of the sun.......period.........so please all you blonde, redheads, with beautiful blue/green eyes........do take care.......you're the most susceptible from what I understand......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom