Solution for a sunburn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, well it doesn't make sense to me, from a first aid point of view, that he recommends cool compresses and moisturizers, but a lukewarm bath.
i think he might have been trying to say that the oatmeal is good, but should have thought out the heat thing better. lukewarm is warmer than room temp, which would add more radiative energy (this time as direct heat) to the affected area, increasing discomfort and cellular damage. you can actually induce heat stroke if a person's core temp doesn't decrease enough. in other words, you don't put a person with a sunburn in a warm room. you cool them off as best possible, both internally with cool drinks, and externally, with cool water.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
bottled aloe vera gels don't work as well as the actual goop that is scraped from the inside of and aloe "leaf".
The bottled stuff I buy works just as well because it is the goop from inside the leaf. I have 3 different bottles and all that is listed under the ingredients list is aloe. On all the bottles it says 100% pure aloe vera. Nothing else added.

I do have a few bottles that the hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon gave us which was not just aloe though. Those were also with vitamin E added and possibly something else as well since the color was green.

The bottled stuff I buy works just as well because it is the goop from inside the leaf. I have 3 different bottles and all that is listed under the ingredients list is aloe. On all the bottles it says 100% pure aloe vera. Nothing else added.

I do have a few bottles that the hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon gave us which was not just aloe though. Those were also with vitamin E added and possibly something else as well since the color was green.

Oh geez GB, don't get Buckytom started again! :rolleyes:

I was always told that a cool compress will give you relief, but a warm compress will keep the skin from tightening up and reduce peeling.
That said, I burned the crap out of my forehead and nose July Fourth. They just got back to normal a few days ago. It didn't peel so much as it cracked and flaked. This was with nothing applied except a warm washcloth a couple times a day.
I have since boughten some 85 SPF sports sunscreen. I think they made even higher.

I have since boughten some 85 SPF sports sunscreen. I think they made even higher.
Above 30 (at least I think it is 30) does not give you any additional protection. 30 is the same as 100 just as covering yourself in lead would give you the same protection as being inside.

Mama's fried chicken

I love to cook as well, I love food and socializing. I am the cook in my husband's and my family. I am always volunteered to do the family gatherings and holiday meals. I check out your site and the fried chicken recipe is one that I have to try, just looking at it made my mouth water. I will try your recipe as soon as I can get to the grocery store! Which will be this afternoon, because I will be thinking of fried chicken all day!:)

Above 30 (at least I think it is 30) does not give you any additional protection. 30 is the same as 100 just as covering yourself in lead would give you the same protection as being inside.

Yeah, but it sounds all industrial-like and cool :cool:
:wacko:

I love to cook as well, I love food and socializing. I am the cook in my husband's and my family. I am always volunteered to do the family gatherings and holiday meals. I check out your site and the fried chicken recipe is one that I have to try, just looking at it made my mouth water. I will try your recipe as soon as I can get to the grocery store! Which will be this afternoon, because I will be thinking of fried chicken all day!:)

I hope you enjoy it! :)

pasty white skin vs melanoma......what would I rather see......sorry guys.............it's an issue with me..........just ignore me..............saw the huge golfball they took out of my green-eyed red-headed friend in LA (the state).... pretty impressive........she wanted another child and the doctors concurred and unanimously voted "absolutely not" might spread the cancer cells thru her body......no guarantee that they had gotten all of them in the first place..........just wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun if you can............

Let me tell you.... from experience....Im 43 years old....had Mohs surgery twice...15 stitches internal/external on my chest.... 15 stitches internal/external on my collarbone.... plus at least 10 other scrapings all over my body from skin cancer.......all from sunburns 10 years ago. It wont surface for many years but it WILL come back to remind you of what you did wrong.

USE sunBLOCK ... not sunscreen. USE SUNBLOCK WITH UVB/UVA (both) protection. Preferably with the ingredient HELIOPLEX. If sunblock stings on your face ... get a prescription from a Dermatologist for "SILK" sunblock. You can still get too much sun through clothing so shop for UV protection clothing if affordable.

Trust me... I learned the HARD way... and still go back every 6 months for followups. But I sure as heck slather on the goops and stay out of the sun as much as possible now.

And as far as the "lukearm" debate. Im sure that was intended to be "as cool as you can handle it in a bath".... which most people need to add a teeny bit of warm. Maybe they should call that "lukeCOOL". You want your extrerier body temp to cool down but not chill up your innards...LOL

...And as far as the "lukearm" debate. Im sure that was intended to be "as cool as you can handle it in a bath".... which most people need to add a teeny bit of warm. Maybe they should call that "lukeCOOL". You want your extrerier body temp to cool down but not chill up your innards...LOL

That's my point. Although luke warm is warmer than room temperature, it is still cooler than your body temperature. But I probably shouldn't comment on this anymore or I'll have to get Buckytom some lukewarm milk! :LOL:

Looks like most of us are correct.
See:
Page Not Found (huh, I don't know why this happened)
It was a google for sunburn relief, and I got Motherearthnews.com article from 08-01-2002. Oh, well

but no eggplant or plantain for me. Don't want to attract bugs!

Peeper, it's more than 24 hours later, and I'm sure your
baby is feeling alittle better.
What did you wind up doing? Just curious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom