"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Just wanted to chime in my thanks for the reference to Kalyn's Kitchen. What a great blog! I'm not on south beach 100%, but I try to stick to the basic principles, and some of her recipes are really great. I also like her posts in general-- even the non-SBD related ones.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I've done the ricotta for desserts. Being italian, it reminds me of cannolis...mmm...
For another treat I've been making ricotta cups:
2c ricotta
4 eggs
splenda to taste (or go savory...whatever works)
oven 400 20-30 on my oven its 25...
And I did the muffin cups, they came out awesome. Green pepper, green onion, cheese.

I've been doing different salads and then lettuce wraps for dfferent "sandwiches"
egg salad, tuna, lunch meats.. my husband loves 'em. I use romaine lettuce, the leaves are bigger and they add a nice crunch!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Senior Cook

oh and this other thing... "strawberry" jam...
dice up really small tomatoe 1c
1 tsp strawberry (or other flavor) sug. free jello
splenda to taste
cover the tomatoes in hot water to get rid of the tomato taste. I rinsed them a few times. then leave about 2tsps of water in the bottom. Add the jello mix, splenda. heat it up for a few mins, Until tomatos get softer. Then use a potato masher and mash the tomatos a bit. Then refrigerate....
I used this as a topping for the ricotta cups. I didn't tell my husband what it was, until he said he thought it tasted awesome! He said he didn't think we could have starwberries yet... LOL then I told him and he was surprised!