"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Another beverage I recommend trying is the SO Delicious brand Coconut Milk beverage, which is different from coconut milk that you would find in the can. It's nice and creamy and definitely worth a try: Turtle Mountain - So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I like soya Milk , I dreak a lot of it a day and i found it is good for me .I like this milk than those another milk I intake it is because soy milk has long been a popular alternative for people who are unable to drink cow's milk (usually due to lactose intolerance). But rather than drink soy milk because you have to, more and more people are deliberately choosing soy milk because of the added health benefits. The benefits from soy are still being disputed, though it is generally accepted that soy milk contains a high number of very healthy compounds. Soy milk is high in protein, and because it is made from beans, also contains considerably more fiber than cow's milk.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

@CookLikeJulia: Interesting point about the fiber!

Here are a couple of links to some nutrition information for

Whole Milk: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Milk, whole, 3.25% milkfat
A popular brand of soy milk: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/10534/2/

It's not a lot of fiber, but it does have more fiber content. (Fiber of soymilk will most likely vary by brand. Animal products don't contain fiber.)
Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have had thyroid trouble for about 15 years and take meds, my naturopath told me to avoid processed soy(like soy milk) because it does decrease production of the thyroid hormone, but I can have fermented soy, such as fermented soy sauce or tempe. I am not a big fan of soy, so I avoid it.
Remember that there are alot of products on the market that include soy or soy lecithin, try to eat as little processed foods as you can, and stick to the outer isles in the grocery store, thats where the good stuff is.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Here is a link to some good information on processed soy, and a lot of other processed foods.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Here is a link to some good information on processed soy, and a lot of other processed foods.
I'm not sure I found a single objective fact in the blog post you linked.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
I'm not sure I found a single objective fact in the blog post you linked.
then you and I read things quite differently.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
then you and I read things quite differently.
The article's thesis is "processed soy products are atrociously bad for you" his evidence for this conclusion is "everything [he's] learned over the last decades." He add's a little hyperbole, apparently to reinforce his conclusion. He does, however, give a crisp, black-and-white list of things that are bad and things that are good, such as:
  • Processed soy milk is bad. Natural, home-made soy milk is good.
  • Processed cow’s milk is bad. Fresh, raw cow’s milk is good.
  • Processed cheese is bad. Natural, home-made cheese is far less so.
Incidentally, since all cheese is processed, and all cheese is bad, it is a logical fallacy to propose that home-made cheese is anything but bad. Both statements cannot be accurate.

This blog's only debatable facts, as opposed to unsupported statements of opinion, appear at the end of the blog. His sweeping statements about minerals and phytonutrients can be applied to soy milk, spinach or cat food. I've heard much better arguments about the Kennedy assassination or the Free Mason's control of the world. At least a conspiracy theorist is willing to expose his evidence to scrutiny.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
Head Chef

Opinions vary on subjects like this, but lets not let our opinions flare into something that would not be constructive to the discussion. We are all adults here. Let's discuss things in like manner.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I read the article and the author's background.

He is a wealthy media mogul with no training or education in the field of nutrition.

To me he appears to be a conspiracy theorist who spouts mis-information. People believe him because he spouts loudly.

This is my favorite "fact": "Processed salt is bad. Unprocessed, full-spectrum sea salt is good." This statement makes no sense to me. Salt is 100% sodium chloride (kosher salt). It's the purest form of salt. Full spectrum sea salt is 99+% sodium chloride with other chemical compounds, minerals, etc. left in the mix. It's the least pure form of salt.

Makes no sense.

I see him as a fear monger.