Soymilk - is it healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The blog post links to a website. And that website had a number equally vacuous articles with inflammatory headlines. If nothing else, its a reminder that we should understand who we're reading as much as what they're saying.

I started using soy milk as an alternative to creamer in my coffee awhile ago. However, after watching Food Inc I started shopping for organic soy milk that specifically does not contain GMOs! From what I read on the labels, if you stick to the organic soy products you get the benefits of soy without some of the negative effects of the sweetened or flavored soy. And that's my marginally informed, non-expert two cents!

I think soy-milk is a better option over milk, because most milk has so many preservatives in it. It contains vitamins, antioxidants and is often fortified with much more. There are more hormones in a cows milk than in soy milk.

There are no preservatives in milk. (Read the ingredients label)

Milk is pasteurized (Heated to the point of killing 99% of harmful bacteria before it's bottled.) And that's also why there is an expiration date on all dairy products, to let you know to use it before the 1% of remaining bacteria can multiply to the point of spoiling.

And not all cow's milk has hormones in it.

You say, "There are more hormones in a cows milk than in soy milk."
That's because there are NO hormones in soy milk. Soy milk doesn't come from an animal. It comes from a bean (legume). Raw soybean plants have no hormones that are digestible by humans and are processed out with the bulk material.

I drank whole milk for the first 30 years of my life. I have no cavities in my teeth, and have never broken a bone. Now I'm not saying that milk is solely responsible for this, but I believe it's helped. My sisters have had numerous cavities, and two have broken bones. They didn't drink a lot of milk, though we ate the same meals while growing up. I also love cheese (again, I'm the only one of four kids who does). To give you an idea of what this means, I have accidently driven off of a thirty foot cliff while dirt-biking, have been struck by a car while driving a motor cycle, have been in a serious car crash where I broke the steering column with my chest, have gone head over heels tumbling down a steep ski slope, have accidently stepped off of a 2-story roof while painting (twice in the same day), have been tossed through a glass table, have fallen twenty feet from a tree limb (as a child), and have taken sprains while sledding that should have resulted in broken bones. I also participated in judo and was thrown onto a hard-wood floor (we were too close to the edge of the mat), and have taken some bad spills on ice. I have been thrown over the handle bars of a motorcycle at least twice in my life, and the list continues. What I'm trying to state is that there have been many instances in my 54 years of life where I could have had broken bones, but ended up badly bruised or with an ankle sprain instead. at about age thirty, I switched to 2% and 1% milk. But I still enjoy a glass of whole milk once in a while, and once a month, I purchase pasturised milk that isn't homogenized from a place called The Grain Train in Petoskey Michigan. I am a big fan of milk. I also drink soy milk because I enjoy its flavor. I use unsweetened soy milk and sometimes add a bit of vanilla, nutmeg, and Splenda or Stevia to it, making it taste very similar to egg nog.

Oh, and one more thing about milk, because of a general fear of hormones and anti-biotics, many dairy farms post on their product that they don't use them. This is probably a selling point, but is still true. Goats milk is easier to digest, but to me, just doesn't taste as good. I'm fortunate that I'm not lactose intolerant, or allergic to dairy products. I wouldn't know what to drink if I didn't have milk available.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you are menopausal,then soy is a recommended food option. I am - menopausal - but it made me horribly nauseated, - have no idea why because I didn't find it unpalatable, so I give it a miss these days.
Just be aware that all foods are not good for everyone.

Ps: Selkie, there ARE hormones in soy milk, which is why menopausal women are advised to drink it. It contains phytoestrogens, which should be good for women at this stage of their lives, but not for me.

Ps: Selkie, there ARE hormones in soy milk, which is why menopausal women are advised to drink it. It contains phytoestrogens, which should be good for women at this stage of their lives, but not for me.

I'm only going by, in part, what Wikipedia says:
"Soybeans contain isoflavones called genistein and daidzein, which are one source of phytoestrogens in the human diet. Because most naturally occurring estrogenic substances show weak activity, normal consumption of foods that contain these phytoestrogens should not provide sufficient amounts to elicit a physiological response in humans."

Of course, as you point out for yourself, everyone is different. Have you tried almond milk?

May you be blessed.

:))I am not wrapped in milk of any kind Selkie. Are you suggesting almond milk for my face?? Have you seen it!! I think you might agree that it's past the point of anyone really caring, much less dousing it with almond milk, which is an old and totally disproved remedy for wrinkles:)) In my case of course, they are character lines...so there!
Seriously, soy products all contain phytochemicals the major group being isoflavens in quite heavy concentration and despite what Wiki says, they are "known" (??) to have either adverse or advantageous effects on the human body depending on which 'expert' one is listening to at the time.
Almond milk, soy milk, whatever, Listen to your body. I just know that it is not for me and it is certainly not good for most babies.
oops! I will probably cop a few brickbats for that last bit.
Ducking!:)

Ha, what a laugh. I happen to dislike milk. Oh, don't get me wrong, I like every form of milk, especially cheese, and yogurt and .... well, you get it. But one of the very, very, very few foods I really dislike is a glass of milk. I grew up with my friends' moms and my mom's friends saying to me, "Drink your milk, Claire, or you won't up to be big and strong." I started laughing when they had to look up at me to say it. God alone knows how much my mother went through to try to get me and my next younger sister to drink milk. My husband still tells me that I'm going to regret not drinking milk as a child (by the way, he's 63 and lost 2" this year. I'm 55 and am as tall as I ever was). Get that calcium any way you can ..... But it seems most of my friends and family members who have bone loss have actually loved milk. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm just big.

Back
Top Bottom