"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
these drugs caused deterioration in the muscles in my legs. they were mixed by the doctors with another drug which added to the problem. i would never take one again under any circumstance. had to have rehab to be able to walk. also affected my kidneys. be careful out there!
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
these drugs caused deterioration in the muscles in my legs. they were mixed by the doctors with another drug which added to the problem. i would never take one again under any circumstance. had to have rehab to be able to walk. also affected my kidneys. be careful out there!
That's awful, Babe. My dad had a severe reaction too, similar to yours. He was put on statins as a preventative, and had the worst muscle pain of his life. Supposedly, the reactions are very rare.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
We watch my liver and kidney function carefully, blood tests every two months since I am on 2 statins. I'm almost a hypochondriac of odd aches and pains in my muscles.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
We watch my liver and kidney function carefully, blood tests every two months since I am on 2 statins. I'm almost a hypochondriac of odd aches and pains in my muscles.
I think you have to be. My poor dad was in agony, not realizing that it was a very dangerous side effect.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Found this to be interesting:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...?src=emailthis

You need a subscription to see the article, but it's free. Apparently this has some merit, and there probably is a connection.

Doc tried to talk me into a statin at my last visit, even though I'm "borderline". I said no, and he didn't argue too much.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Found this to be interesting:

Medscape: Medscape Access

You need a subscription to see the article, but it's free. Apparently this has some merit, and there probably is a connection.

Doc tried to talk me into a statin at my last visit, even though I'm "borderline". I said no, and he didn't argue too much.
I would be alarmed if I had not been borderline diabetic for at least 15 years and my parents are both diabetic. I've always known I would end up over the wrong side of that line, it was just a matter of time.

As it is, everything is good for me now and I will be more alert for changes in my patients who are using statins but do not have a Diabetes diagnosis.

I love Medscape, I've been a member for years.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I would be alarmed if I had not been borderline diabetic for at least 15 years and my parents are both diabetic. I've always known I would end up over the wrong side of that line, it was just a matter of time.

As it is, everything is good for me now and I will be more alert for changes in my patients who are using statins but do not have a Diabetes diagnosis.

I love Medscape, I've been a member for years.
I love Medscape too. They cut to the chase, and the research is sound. Glad you're under control, PF! With all the statin mentality, I wonder why this isn't getting more press.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Mostly because there are people out there who would go off their statins and they do need them...it's what keeps them on the right side of no heart attacks and strokes. Shrek will continue on his, because I can continue to care for him with what he has going on now, but a heart attack will kill him and a stroke would be the first move into a nursing care facility. I'm not tired of him yet.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Mostly because there are people out there who would go off their statins and they do need them...it's what keeps them on the right side of no heart attacks and strokes. Shrek will continue on his, because I can continue to care for him with what he has going on now, but a heart attack will kill him and a stroke would be the first move into a nursing care facility. I'm not tired of him yet.
They didn't study men. Thought that was interesting. I think the caution here is not for those currently on statins to go off them, but to not find them a one size fits all for potential new patients. And to start research for alternatives.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
They didn't study men. Thought that was interesting. I think the caution here is not for those currently on statins to go off them, but to not find them a one size fits all for potential new patients. And to start research for alternatives.
I agree, I would like something better than the two I am taking and the blood tests that go along with it. I really hate needles...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.