"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

these drugs caused deterioration in the muscles in my legs. they were mixed by the doctors with another drug which added to the problem. i would never take one again under any circumstance. had to have rehab to be able to walk. also affected my kidneys. be careful out there!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
these drugs caused deterioration in the muscles in my legs. they were mixed by the doctors with another drug which added to the problem. i would never take one again under any circumstance. had to have rehab to be able to walk. also affected my kidneys. be careful out there!
That's awful, Babe. My dad had a severe reaction too, similar to yours. He was put on statins as a preventative, and had the worst muscle pain of his life. Supposedly, the reactions are very rare.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We watch my liver and kidney function carefully, blood tests every two months since I am on 2 statins. I'm almost a hypochondriac of odd aches and pains in my muscles.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
We watch my liver and kidney function carefully, blood tests every two months since I am on 2 statins. I'm almost a hypochondriac of odd aches and pains in my muscles.
I think you have to be. My poor dad was in agony, not realizing that it was a very dangerous side effect.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Found this to be interesting:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...?src=emailthis

You need a subscription to see the article, but it's free. Apparently this has some merit, and there probably is a connection.

Doc tried to talk me into a statin at my last visit, even though I'm "borderline". I said no, and he didn't argue too much.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Found this to be interesting:

Medscape: Medscape Access

You need a subscription to see the article, but it's free. Apparently this has some merit, and there probably is a connection.

Doc tried to talk me into a statin at my last visit, even though I'm "borderline". I said no, and he didn't argue too much.
I would be alarmed if I had not been borderline diabetic for at least 15 years and my parents are both diabetic. I've always known I would end up over the wrong side of that line, it was just a matter of time.

As it is, everything is good for me now and I will be more alert for changes in my patients who are using statins but do not have a Diabetes diagnosis.

I love Medscape, I've been a member for years.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I would be alarmed if I had not been borderline diabetic for at least 15 years and my parents are both diabetic. I've always known I would end up over the wrong side of that line, it was just a matter of time.

As it is, everything is good for me now and I will be more alert for changes in my patients who are using statins but do not have a Diabetes diagnosis.

I love Medscape, I've been a member for years.
I love Medscape too. They cut to the chase, and the research is sound. Glad you're under control, PF! With all the statin mentality, I wonder why this isn't getting more press.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mostly because there are people out there who would go off their statins and they do need them...it's what keeps them on the right side of no heart attacks and strokes. Shrek will continue on his, because I can continue to care for him with what he has going on now, but a heart attack will kill him and a stroke would be the first move into a nursing care facility. I'm not tired of him yet.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Mostly because there are people out there who would go off their statins and they do need them...it's what keeps them on the right side of no heart attacks and strokes. Shrek will continue on his, because I can continue to care for him with what he has going on now, but a heart attack will kill him and a stroke would be the first move into a nursing care facility. I'm not tired of him yet.
They didn't study men. Thought that was interesting. I think the caution here is not for those currently on statins to go off them, but to not find them a one size fits all for potential new patients. And to start research for alternatives.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
They didn't study men. Thought that was interesting. I think the caution here is not for those currently on statins to go off them, but to not find them a one size fits all for potential new patients. And to start research for alternatives.
I agree, I would like something better than the two I am taking and the blood tests that go along with it. I really hate needles...