Statins leading to diabetes in women? Study

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They didn't study men. Thought that was interesting. I

They reported on women because they were using the dataset created by the Women's Health Initiative, a set of clinical trials running since 1991 "to test the effects of postmenopausal hormone therapy, diet modification, and calcium and vitamin D supplements on heart disease, fractures, and breast and colorectal cancer."

The dataset is a collection of a large number of variable of several different types, which helps analyze results. When you have that kind of data, the studies are actually reports of statistical studies, rather than a single researcher carrying out a study to collect data independently. Because of the number of variable recorded in the Initiative, statistical analysis is very complicated but potentially very informative and reliable, because it considers so many factors that might otherwise be suspected of being involved in the effects. The analysis tells you which variable actually correlate to the effects. In other words, you don't necessarily have to guess correctly and then do a study to test your guess. The numbers tell you what's significant, even if you didn't suspect that outcome. That's very powerful. It can tell you things you literally would never have guessed.

I unwittiling got my cholesterol down to normal by myself. All my numbers are down to normal. I don't know what I did for that to happed, but as a result a lot of my meds were discontinued. Including the Lipitor. But I still have my blood work done every three months. So now I have only my heart probles to worry about. I can live with that.:)

I was automatically put on them when i was diagnosed T2 diabetic. I took them for 2 years. I am a powerlifter (goes to max weight often) and started having severe cramping issues after workouts.I could have ten muscles throughout my body cramp at the same time (so painful). One of the first things I did was stop the statins since I don't really have any cholestorol problems and they are notorious. Things cleared up but I made several changes as well. I have been back on the statins for about 2 months and the cramping thing is slowing coming back it seems. I may stop them again and see what happens. My BS was also high during that time and I have some other issues but it is worth a shot for while.

Last edited:
Muscle cramps is a known side effect, and there are lots of reports from statin patients about cramps they associate with the drug.

One doctor says:
I am often asked by my patients what can be done, short of discontinuation of the medication, for cholesterol lowering statin drug induced muscle cramps. The cause seems to be related to impaired fat oxidation within the muscle’s mitochondria (the cell’s “furnace” for making energy for contraction).
I would suggest considering the following plan for my patients:
1. Try a fat restricted diet with a higher focus on high carbohydrate diet due to the problems with fatty acid oxidation
2. Fish oils improve fatty acid oxidation. Therefore, try 2,000 to 5,000 mgm a day of combined EPA/DHA capsules.
3. Magnesium may be of help. Basically, the goal is about 1,200 to 1,800 mgm a day of magnesium. Diarrhea or loose stools may determine your ability to tolerate this element.
4. L-Carnitine 1 Gm three times a day for a 4-6 week trial may help. Take with meals.
5. CoQ-10 is occasionally helpful. It must be highly bio-available in its formulation. The dose to consider is between 300-600 mgm a day.

And, of course, he reminds that patient should see their physician before trying any of these things.

What's important is making the best decision for you and knowing all the risks and benefits. You don't know what YOUR reaction will be to any medication until you have tried it. You are making the best step in doing your own research and discovering the answers to your questions yourself.

I am all for treating conditions with diet and exercise first, however, if/when those don't work, it's probably time to turn to medications.

1. Try a fat restricted diet with a higher focus on high carbohydrate diet due to the problems with fatty acid oxidation
2. Fish oils improve fatty acid oxidation. Therefore, try 2,000 to 5,000 mgm a day of combined EPA/DHA capsules.

This makes me appreciate how different many of our situations are.

What's working for me is a lower carbohydrate diet and not all that concerned about how much fat I eat, within reason.

I've been taking an EPA/DHA (Omega 3 fatty acid) supplement for years. I'm convinced it has something to do with preventing internal inflammation (as in blood vessels). Perhaps I don't have the right explanation but I believe I have the right idea. Either take lots of supplements or eat a lot of salmon...

I am all for treating conditions with diet and exercise first, however, if/when those don't work, it's probably time to turn to medications.

Me too. So far I'm lucky that for me it's working, diet and exercise.

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
What's important is making the best decision for you and knowing all the risks and benefits. You don't know what YOUR reaction will be to any medication until you have tried it. You are making the best step in doing your own research and discovering the answers to your questions yourself.

Very true.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom