"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Master Chef

Steamed Veggies??

How healthy are steamed vegatables?
Are some better than others?
I have a bamboo steamer that I want to use, but, not sure anymore what is good and what isn't.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Steamed veggies are very healthy. That is one of the healthiest ways to cook them. Anything you can put in the steamer can be steamed. I used my bamboo steamer all the time and love it. Try broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, brussel sprouts, and just about anything else you can think of.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love steamed veggies.
Like GB said.. they are very healthy and you can
steam anything!! Enjoy!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Head Chef

I like steamed veggies as long as they're not turned to mush! I have to have mine crisp-tender. I've done them pretty much all in there: sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, etc.

I also use one of those bamboo steamers. It's one of the best $7 investments I've ever made.

I would still say that roasting veggies is my favorite though. =)

Z
Old 07-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I just have a metal steamer... are the bamboo ones better?
Do they cook differently? Quicker? Tastier?

I'm with you Zereh, over done mushy veggies are not good.
I like mine still slightly crunchy.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I love crunchy steamed veg. I like baby new potatoes in the steamer too, as well as older potatos cut into slices, my dh loves these too. I also love beans, carrots and broccoli.

The bamboo and metal would give a pretty similar result. I use a plastic electric one, my uncle gave it to me when my aunt passed away.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I use my microwave for steaming veggies. It's one cooking process that the microwave is actually good at.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

they're very healthy, tex. very low in calories, virtually fat-free, high in fiber and nutrients.
things like potatoes, peas and corn are high in starch and my dieticians had always counted 1/2 cup of those as starches instead of vegetables but counted 1/3 c. as a vegetable.
just steam them lightly for the best color and flavor, just till they're bright in color. of course you have to steam some much longer, like carrots.
if you buy colorful veggies, they're more nutritious. the more colorful the veggies you choose are, the higher in nutritients.
lemon juice and garlic are nice flavor additions.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

a great way to cook veggies....

well..I think Bamboo steamers are much more natural than the stainless steel ones.

Bamboos are used as medicinal ingredients in Asia. Some say if you cook rice in a bamboo stalk, the rice tastes sweeter than ever. Besides since the thermal conductivity is lower than other metal steamers, it can contain heat better which in turns reduces the cooking time. It means also less chance of vitamine loss in the cooking process. On top of it, if you cook dumblings in one of these bamboo steamers, you can prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the steamer. Usually in this case, with a stainless steamer, you have to use a cheese cloth in order not to break the thin wrappers and keep the 'guts' inside.

I think quickly steamed veggies are the healthiest among all the cooked ones including the drowned ones which share their vitamine contents with water and the pan fried ones with additional calories on our collection. Of course we could just eat veggies raw but I've seen some bugs waving at me one day and ever since then, I try to give them a quick hot bless before putting on the dinner table.

hmm..I hope I know what I am talking about...

Anyway, why not use it~ when you have it~
I loveee these bamboo steamers!

I saw one in a local chinese store here in town not long ago and I have been drooling all over on it! In fact, I was planning on adding it on my shopping list with the other cookware for tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Steamed veggies are very healthy. That is one of the healthiest ways to cook them. Anything you can put in the steamer can be steamed. I used my bamboo steamer all the time and love it. Try broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, brussel sprouts, and just about anything else you can think of.
I love my bamboo steamer, also, GB. One of my favorite veggies to steam is asparagus. But you can steam almost anything. I have seen recipes for other things like fish, but I have never tried anything else, but veggies.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote