Still want that juice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Juice of any kind is off limits for diabetics, as it has as much sugar as soda-pop. And some, such as cranberry juice have to be sweetened even more to overcome the natural bitterness of the berry.

I let DW, and adult kids know how I feel about juice being given to small children long ago. Bing Crosby was wrong. Orange juice is not a healthy breakfast drink.:ohmy: Sorry Bing, but I had to say it.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sorry Chief. But a four ounce glass of juice with a balanced meal that contains carbs and is high in protein is allowed and recommended for diabetics. Plain juices without any additives contain many needed nutrients that every body needs. :angel:

Himself's endocrinologist told him no juice under any circumstance. Meanwhile, my idea of "juice" is to draw a glass of water from the fridge dispenser (the water is filtered) and squeeze a large wedge of lime into it, dropping the wedge in when I'm done (yes, I wash my produce). Sometimes I'll do that with a chunk of orange or, rarely, lemon. During the summer I can go through a lime a day easily - bonus, no discernible calories!

Spike does that, but with lemon. One cup of decaf coffee in the morning and the rest of the day it is water with a squirt of lemon and then the lemon wedge thrown in. :angel:

I've had to explain this same thing to people. I worked with a girl that gave up soda and started chugging juice. I showed her how much sugar it had and she was quite surprised.

That and a majority of the juice on the shelf is flavored apple and/or pear juice, even if it says cherry or some other fruit, it's likely mostly apple juice. Putting that 100% juice on the label is there to make people happy about their choice to buy juice.

I'm lucky that a while back I got used to drinking water, at first I craved something with flavor, now coffee in the morning and the rest of the day is pretty much just water with lots of ice. I can thank Rob for that.

Sorry Chief. But a four ounce glass of juice with a balanced meal that contains carbs and is high in protein is allowed and recommended for diabetics. Plain juices without any additives contain many needed nutrients that every body needs. :angel:

2 oranges are required to make 4 oz. of juice. And, most people I know drink 8 oz. at a time. I know that I did, and my sisters did, whenever there was oj in the house. I did it in the Navy too, as did every other sailor on the ship who drank oj.

My diabetic dietician advises us not to drink any fruit juice, but to eat the fruit instead, as the whole fruit contains valuable nutrients not found in the juice.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've had to explain this same thing to people. I worked with a girl that gave up soda and started chugging juice. I showed her how much sugar it had and she was quite surprised.

That and a majority of the juice on the shelf is flavored apple and/or pear juice, even if it says cherry or some other fruit, it's likely mostly apple juice. Putting that 100% juice on the label is there to make people happy about their choice to buy juice.

I'm lucky that a while back I got used to drinking water, at first I craved something with flavor, now coffee in the morning and the rest of the day is pretty much just water with lots of ice. I can thank Rob for that.
Often it says "no added sugar", but there is concentrated grape juice. :ermm:

Back in the '70s I decided to quit habitually drinking Coca Cola. I drank oj whenever I got a craving for Coke. I didn't find oj to be nearly as addictive as Coke, so that worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom