"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Still want that juice??

came across this video today. I didn't realize just how much sugar was in natural juice....Probably still better than a lot of choices, but certainly something to make you think about....

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Still want that fruit?

How Much Sugar in Fruit?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Wine Guy

It's still much better to eat a piece of fruit than to gulp down juice. An entire peach, for example, has only 72 calories, not to mention fiber that aids in digestion and also slows down how quickly the sugar makes its way into your bloodstream.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

How many of us actually get those brands? Those are brands I have never seen or even heard of. For those of us who are diabetics, I am sure we have to good sense to read the back label to make sure of the sugar and carb content. And a lot of us who aren't diabetic. This is nothing but a scare tactic.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I know that watermelon and cantaloupe are high in natural sugar. Therefor when I choose to have some, I make sure it is just a small piece. Even lemon and grapefruit have sugar in them. So do some vegetables. You just have to educate yourself and make sensible choices. I am just waiting for the day when some fool comes along and tells us all food is bad for us and we should avoid it at all cost.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I don't think it is bad for you, I just am saying that I was surprised to see how much sugar is actually in some juices. Like Steve says, I would rather eat the fruit. Your getting more minerals and fibre. The juice is just concentrated sugar IMHO. I went on a juice thing a while ago and couldn't believe the buzz I got in the morning from some vegetable juices. It was way more intense than coffee. I didn't like it. I just think that this is a case of companies' trying to capitalize on trends....Some people think that they will be get the same benifits from drinking a bottle of this as they would from eating a few servings of fruits or veggies. It's not the case at all.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I don't think it is bad for you, I just am saying that I was surprised to see how much sugar is actually in some juices. Like Steve says, I would rather eat the fruit. Your getting more minerals and fibre. The juice is just concentrated sugar IMHO. I went on a juice thing a while ago and couldn't believe the buzz I got in the morning from some vegetable juices. It was way more intense than coffee. I didn't like it. I just think that this is a case of companies' trying to capitalize on trends....Some people think that they will be get the same benifits from drinking a bottle of this as they would from eating a few servings of fruits or veggies. It's not the case at all.
They also know that sugar is addictive. That is why they add it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I only ever drink V-8 Low Sodium juice anymore. Fruit juices blow my calories and sugar out of the water. If I want to feel full, I'd much rather eat something. :)
Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I gave up fruit juices for that very reason. I try and stick with water and iced tea.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I still drink it, on occasion. Better than pop. But, it surely isn't an every day part of a healthy diet.

Tags
juice