Still want that juice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's still much better to eat a piece of fruit than to gulp down juice. An entire peach, for example, has only 72 calories, not to mention fiber that aids in digestion and also slows down how quickly the sugar makes its way into your bloodstream.

How many of us actually get those brands? Those are brands I have never seen or even heard of. For those of us who are diabetics, I am sure we have to good sense to read the back label to make sure of the sugar and carb content. And a lot of us who aren't diabetic. This is nothing but a scare tactic. :angel:

I know that watermelon and cantaloupe are high in natural sugar. Therefor when I choose to have some, I make sure it is just a small piece. Even lemon and grapefruit have sugar in them. So do some vegetables. You just have to educate yourself and make sensible choices. I am just waiting for the day when some fool comes along and tells us all food is bad for us and we should avoid it at all cost. :angel:

I don't think it is bad for you, I just am saying that I was surprised to see how much sugar is actually in some juices. Like Steve says, I would rather eat the fruit. Your getting more minerals and fibre. The juice is just concentrated sugar IMHO. I went on a juice thing a while ago and couldn't believe the buzz I got in the morning from some vegetable juices. It was way more intense than coffee. I didn't like it. I just think that this is a case of companies' trying to capitalize on trends....Some people think that they will be get the same benifits from drinking a bottle of this as they would from eating a few servings of fruits or veggies. It's not the case at all.

I don't think it is bad for you, I just am saying that I was surprised to see how much sugar is actually in some juices. Like Steve says, I would rather eat the fruit. Your getting more minerals and fibre. The juice is just concentrated sugar IMHO. I went on a juice thing a while ago and couldn't believe the buzz I got in the morning from some vegetable juices. It was way more intense than coffee. I didn't like it. I just think that this is a case of companies' trying to capitalize on trends....Some people think that they will be get the same benifits from drinking a bottle of this as they would from eating a few servings of fruits or veggies. It's not the case at all.

They also know that sugar is addictive. That is why they add it. :angel:

I only ever drink V-8 Low Sodium juice anymore. Fruit juices blow my calories and sugar out of the water. If I want to feel full, I'd much rather eat something. :)

I gave up fruit juices for that very reason. I try and stick with water and iced tea.

came across this video today. I didn't realize just how much sugar was in natural juice....Probably still better than a lot of choices, but certainly something to make you think about....
The Unbelievable Amount Of Sugar In Your Juice - YouTube

Juice of any kind is off limits for diabetics, as it has as much sugar as soda-pop. And some, such as cranberry juice have to be sweetened even more to overcome the natural bitterness of the berry.

I let DW, and adult kids know how I feel about juice being given to small children long ago. Bing Crosby was wrong. Orange juice is not a healthy breakfast drink.:ohmy: Sorry Bing, but I had to say it.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I only ever drink V-8 Low Sodium juice anymore. Fruit juices blow my calories and sugar out of the water. If I want to feel full, I'd much rather eat something. :)

Same with me!

I need to add a tablespoon of prepared horseradish and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

It is also good to take the edge off of hunger and only 45-50 calories a cup.

It's like coffee. there are some indicatons that it protects against Parkinson's disease, type 2 diabetes and liver cancer and has useful anti-oxidants but other indications suggest it can lead to elevated levels of cholesterol. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

With juice and coffee and anything else it's all about moderation. I like my coffee black and very strong and very sweet so I don't drink it every day and when I do I only have one cup. Anymore and the sight of an old biddy swinging from the light fittings is inclined to frighten the milkman first thing in the morning!

Same with me!

I need to add a tablespoon of prepared horseradish and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

It is also good to take the edge off of hunger and only 45-50 calories a cup.

...and a healthy glug or two of vodka.

I bought myself a Bullet for Xmas and I have been drinking juice that I make myself pretty frequently. Including savory juices.

I love it!

I like to cut my cranapple juice with with vodka and Cointreau :LOL:

Seriously, though, I don't know why people think advertisers are a good source of nutrition information. Their job is to sell a product and in the food industry, they either follow trends (gluten-free everything) or try to create them. Get your nutrition information first from a reliable source and then choose your food based on that.

Remember those little glasses they used to use to serve oj or tomato juice in restos? They looked like they held 4 or 5 oz of juice. That's probably a reasonable serving, on occasion.

I don't usually drink juice. I used to drink a lot of it, but as others have mentioned, you lose the fibre and probably some other nutrients. You also tend to drink the equivalent of a lot of fruit in one glass. I also think we are better off eating the fruit or vegi. I think tomato juice is made from whole tomatoes and nothing is strained out. That would be a decent juice, imho.

Himself's endocrinologist told him no juice under any circumstance. Meanwhile, my idea of "juice" is to draw a glass of water from the fridge dispenser (the water is filtered) and squeeze a large wedge of lime into it, dropping the wedge in when I'm done (yes, I wash my produce). Sometimes I'll do that with a chunk of orange or, rarely, lemon. During the summer I can go through a lime a day easily - bonus, no discernible calories!

Back
Top Bottom