"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I didn't have any veggie oil to make box brownies and I tried the unsweetened applesauce thing and they didn't turn out very good. They didn't taste the same and the texture was way off. Any ideas why this might have happened?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cuillo View Post
I didn't have any veggie oil to make box brownies and I tried the unsweetened applesauce thing and they didn't turn out very good. They didn't taste the same and the texture was way off. Any ideas why this might have happened?
Yep - as you said - you used a box mix that depended on oil and you used applesauce. You threw the recipe off by eliminating the fat (oil) and increasing the moisture (applesauce). That just doesn't work. There are some recipes for low/no fat that use applesauce - but they are a total rework/reformulation of the recipe - not just subbing applesauce for oil.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Substitute for Oil?
Hi. I am on a special VERY low-fat (like 1.5 grams/serving, tops, and only if that serving is very large) or no-fat diet, at least until my gall bladder is removed. Until then, I have to be very careful about what I eat. However, I've had a craving for baked goods lately, but they all seem to have some kind of oil in them. Even vegetable oil has too much fat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could make for a good substitute? I have read something about "thick water" (a cornstarch & water mixture that is heated & thickened), but not sure. Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Ditto on the applesauce thing. I always use applesauce in my banana bread recipe.
I've done that a couple of times. I always make my own applesauce adding a little brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg along with a couple Tbsp. of brandy. It make the most delicious and moist banana bread I ever made. Somehow the spiced applesauce made a huge difference. I think the brandy may have helped too.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Yep - as you said - you used a box mix that depended on oil and you used applesauce. You threw the recipe off by eliminating the fat (oil) and increasing the moisture (applesauce). That just doesn't work. There are some recipes for low/no fat that use applesauce - but they are a total rework/reformulation of the recipe - not just subbing applesauce for oil.
Now I see why it didn't work out...thanks Michael!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I have had good success with a mix, the eggs or egg whites, and the applesauce for oil.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
I have had good success with a mix, the eggs or egg whites, and the applesauce for oil.
Would you be willing to share your recipe? Please also include the name/brand of the mix you used - that could have something to do with why it worked (ingredients in the mix).
Old 08-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Applesauce Brownies

I used applesauce as a substitute for oil in some of those brownies-in-a-box concoctions and you couldn't taste a difference at all!

I also have heard that using flaxseed in place of oil is a good alternative - it still has the fat content but at least you'll be getting a lot of Omega-3s.

You use "3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed (make sure it's ground) per 1 tbsp of margarine, butter, or cooking oil. This works well for substituting half of the recipe's fat with flax seed. If you want to substitute all of the recipes fat for flax, you'll have to add 75% more water as ground flaxseeds absorb liquids." (found on online recipe site).

Let me know how it goes!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I think that anything with a heavy chocolate taste like a brownie would do fine with the egg whites for eggs & applesauce in an equal amount for the oil. I use Duncan Hines.

I have also heard the "diet soda, cake mix" type recipe and find it worked well if you can tolerate the tate of diet soda, again with Duncan Hines cake mixes.