"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question Substitute for Oil?

Hi. I am on a special VERY low-fat (like 1.5 grams/serving, tops, and only if that serving is very large) or no-fat diet, at least until my gall bladder is removed. Until then, I have to be very careful about what I eat. However, I've had a craving for baked goods lately, but they all seem to have some kind of oil in them. Even vegetable oil has too much fat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could make for a good substitute? I have read something about "thick water" (a cornstarch & water mixture that is heated & thickened), but not sure. Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

LilChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Hi! When I bake muffins I replace the oil with unsweetened apple sauce. It works really well, give it a try!

Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef
ditto on the applesauce. For the first time ever, I substituted applesauce for oil, in a chocolate cake last week. The recipe called for 1 cup oil and all I had was olive oil. So I substituted 1 cup applesauce for the 1 cup oil and I can not tell the difference in taste or texture. It really was miracle.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
most all Bread recipes use butter or oil of some sort in them, this is my "Secret" for my bread making, I Never add any :)
and they always turn out Perfectly!
the only thing I will do is rub some butter inside the tin I cook it in, but there are even ways around that ;)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Also, use tofu in place of mayonnaise. Put it in a food processor with whatever herbs and spices you like then process until smooth -- perfect every time.

For a dessert, add equal parts fresh fruit to tofu and either a teaspoon of (that fruits) extract or 1/4 teaspoon of candy oil and process till smooth. In a separate pan bring either water or fruit liquor to a boil with two teaspoons of unflavored gelatin then quickly add that to the fruit mixture and pour it into custard cups -- no milk (so non fat) pudding. (sweeten to taste)
whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Angel food cake has no oil in it. Top it with some fresh berries.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Angel food cake has no oil in it. Top it with some fresh berries.

Personally, this is my favorite dessert. Blackberries and Blueberries with some nonfat whipped topping!
Recent culinary graduate, chocolate covered gifts are my specialty.
JPolito830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Master Chef
i agree with that applesauce.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by LilChickadee View Post
Even vegetable oil has too much fat.
All oils, and pure fats, have the same amount of fat. What varies is the type of fat (mono-/poly-unsaturated, saturated), meaning some are "healthier" than others - but not calorie-wise.
milkdemcows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Head Chef
Ditto on the applesauce thing. I always use applesauce in my banana bread recipe.

Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote