"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl. Fill with gazpacho - - - - it needs to be eaten in one bite so keep that in mind when buying the cucumbers - or you can drink it out then eat the cuke.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl. Fill with gazpacho - - - - it needs to be eaten in one bite so keep that in mind when buying the cucumbers - or you can drink it out then eat the cuke.
That is just the cutest idea, I love it.
I'm thinking this would be good too, to use zuchinni for the cups.
Maybe thin slices of roasted tomato flavored toasts (small diameter), a little guacamole on it (the glue between the toasts and the cups), and top with the cups of gazpacho then hang a chive flower out of the top. Think small. A tiny cup of gazpacho and a toast and guacamole chaser. I think it might be better the other way with the toast and guacamole and then the cup of gazpacho as the chaser.
Ground olives (black) with walnuts and mayo would make a good substitute for the guacamole. (it will have more color contrast too)
Dang it now I'm going to have to try them, and time is short this next week.
Thanks for the great idea. ~Blissful
(pesto chips, cup of shrimp ceviche, plain toast w/thin sliced tomato)

Old 07-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Bliss if it were me I'd be careful with zucchini cups..Unless they are very small you are apt to get a "raw" flavor from them which you wouldn't with cucumbers..If you go ahead do try them first and see if the taste appeals to you.

kadesma
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Bliss if it were me I'd be careful with zucchini cups..Unless they are very small you are apt to get a "raw" flavor from them which you wouldn't with cucumbers..If you go ahead do try them first and see if the taste appeals to you.

kadesma
excellent point kadesma.......notes taken, I appreciate your comment.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl.
Gee....wasn't me, now was it?
PS - mine was with cream cheese/fresh herbs & chopped red bell peppers on top. The little balls that I scooped out were too cute not to put on the plate.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

olives, nuts, certain cheeses in moderation, various flat breads with whole grains, fruits, salsas can all be very tasty and reasonably healthy. Anyone can stuff their faces on health foods and get fat.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
well my mom just gave me some huge zucchini's from her garden and I just so happen to come across a recipe called...
"Zuke-a-mole" aka Summer Squash "Guacamole"
It's a dip that you dip what ever in. Now wonder what is healthy to dip them in, maybe those little pita chips. If I decide to make them that is.
Carrot and celery sticks, sliced bell peppers and cucumber slices make good dippers.

One of my favorite appetizers is tzatziki sauce with baked pita chips. Very healthy, since it's made with yogurt, cucumber, garlic and herbs.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
Master Chef

taziki with cukes & pita.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Master Chef

Boiled shrimp and cocktail sauce!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Gee....wasn't me, now was it?
PS - mine was with cream cheese/fresh herbs & chopped red bell peppers on top. The little balls that I scooped out were too cute not to put on the plate.
Of COURSE it was you!!!!! Yep - that's it!!!!! LOL

Also Bliss - cucumber is a key component in gazpacho whereas zucchini is not. Cuke makes a bit more sense to me from a taste standpoint.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote