"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #91
Cupcake

In a cafeteria that sells pancakes with sausage for lunch...to be served with mashed potatoes and canned string beans, I'm willing to wager that the tacos are made with the lowest grade ingredients they can legally get by with. Seriously. The meat rests in about an inch of fat waiting for placement on the shell. There is a reason the students are taking notice, which I'm happy to see. Staff concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Food vendors are selected at the district, not the school, level.

These tacos are usually served on a soft tortillas with cheese and sour cream. No tomatoes, no lettuce, no onion, and no black olives. One can get a handful of iceberg if they select the taco salad which comes with Doritos. The tacos come with a little packet of generic taco sauce. Taco salads are only iceberg lettuce with taco meat, cheese, and sour cream. The kids love this taco meat though. It's very salty to me...and very greasy.

~Kathleen

Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #92
Master Chef

Most inner cities don't have super markets. Most of these poor folks do their grocery shopping at their corner liquor stores.....not much choice there.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #93
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
In a cafeteria that sells pancakes with sausage for lunch...to be served with mashed potatoes and canned string beans, I'm willing to wager that the tacos are made with the lowest grade ingredients they can legally get by with. Seriously. The meat rests in about an inch of fat waiting for placement on the shell. There is a reason the students are taking notice, which I'm happy to see. Staff concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Food vendors are selected at the district, not the school, level.
Unfortunately, the solution to that problem is a politcal one. Vote the rascals out.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Quote:

These tacos are usually served on a soft tortillas with cheese and sour cream. No tomatoes, no lettuce, no onion, and no black olives. One can get a handful of iceberg if they select the taco salad which comes with Doritos. The tacos come with a little packet of generic taco sauce. Taco salads are only iceberg lettuce with taco meat, cheese, and sour cream. The kids love this taco meat though. It's very salty to me...and very greasy.

~Kathleen
Hi Kathleen.

I often have soft shells in my fridge (flour tortillas) they are there for the lost causes on my life.

I often have stuff I would relegate to the trash bag. But some days, they end up in a soft shell as misfits of my imagination.

I could probably write a book. But no one would read it :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #95
Senior Cook

Quote:
I don't know whether I first saw this link here at DC or not, but this is an excellent article about this very topic.

Newsweek - Divided We Eat

In a nutshell, the article states that people eat what they can afford to eat based on the time they have, and food is the new class-defining item.

~Kathleen
The article was a good read. It effectively demonstrates that there is a problem with our food system, and that's what's important. I still believe that the most effective way to correct these problems is by "voting with our dollars". In a capitalist economy, this is the only sure way to be heard. Unfortunately, without proper health and culinary education, much of our population doesn't recognize that we have significant food supply problems so a lot of people are still voting for junk. I'm not saying my voting record at the grocery store is flawless, it's far from it (according to MY standards anyway...) but I think I'm on the right track. How to educate people so they can make good purchases at the store is a dilemma. I really don't know what the best way to do that would be.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

we need to reinstate home ec. classes. many moons ago when i was in high school, we had to pass a home ec. class in order to graduate. we were taught the basics of nutrition. we learned to cook simple meals. we certainly did not learn all their was to know. but we learned enough to build on when we began to prepare meals for a family. we were also taught how to balance a checking account. most kids today, think plastic is a never ending source of goods.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #97
Head Chef

This thread prompted me to find my response to a old thread from 2008 "Poor People Can't Afford Healthy Food".

Here are my responses that I still stand by:

Post # 114

The bottom line is the reasons "poor people are overweight" are:

Lack of money
Lack of education
Lack of shopping options
Lack of refrigeration, stove, oven and storage space
Lack of transportation

It is just a Fact that prepackaged high carb food is cheaper, easier to prepare, can be purchased anywhere, requires little refrigeration, limited cooking resources and stores easier. So it can be purchased with or without transportation.

Post # 54

Some comments state buying meat, fruit, fresh veggies sensibly and cheaper. But no one has mentioned the high price of the spices and oils that is needed to make a good meal. The price of the ever precious EVOO is ridiculous. So, yes it is cheaper to buy prepackaged meals, let alone takes less time. I could go on, but will stop here.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #98
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In the post war in the US, the food industry began introducing prepared/processed foods. I can remember the fuss over TV dinners, Hamburger Helper, etc. It was a national movement to embrace the ease of dinner preparation by using these products. TV was full of them. That made many lazy. It was just too easy and "look, it's the in thing to do".
I remember all that, too, Andy. My mom dutifully tried all the new-fangled foods, but we rejected them, one at a time! All, that is, except for a fairly wide array of frozen vegetables in the wintertime.

And I remember those old-time tv commercials luring busy moms to TV dinners and hamburger helper. (Man, that is nasty stuff! ) Can we say S-A-L-T-Y?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #99
Master Chef

I blame the TV trays.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I remember all that, too, Andy. My mom dutifully tried all the new-fangled foods, but we rejected them, one at a time! All, that is, except for a fairly wide array of frozen vegetables in the wintertime.

And I remember those old-time tv commercials luring busy moms to TV dinners and hamburger helper. (Man, that is nasty stuff! ) Can we say S-A-L-T-Y?
Me too. The one thing I got out of Home Ec was how to make a white sauce. It is the basis for all my sauces and gravies.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Closed Thread