Supermarket Slobs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
patty, i just got your pm and responded, but i'll reply here as well.

your ignorance and arrogance is astouding. you might even see it as being obese.

" So be it?" Easy way out eh'?

Don't even go the "poor mans menu" choice with me. I didn't comment on your first part of the post, because you were rationalizing a fictitious family in general. Get real! The average family is 4 +

"If you had three children to feed for a week with 20 dollars, would you A) buy fresh apples at 1.89 a pound (remember apples are heavy), tomatoes at 1.99 a lb, lettuce, carrots, onions, celery, cucumber ect. for a salad at market prices. A nutritional cereal of whole grains, with milk. And some lean protein. If you manage to purchase all of this for $ 20.00, you probably will only have enough to last for 2 1/2 days."

Real parents on a budget, forget what's heavy wouldn't you think Potatoes would have been a better choice? More to do with them that's healthy then an Apple don't ya think? What about regional areas, out of season produce that's been marked up?

My parents fed not only 8 kids of their own, but the neighborhood kids as well on one tight budget. We ate well.

"Or B) Ramen noodle, one pack per child @ .20 is more then enough for 1 meal and Boxed mac and cheese, feed them all a meal with one box. Milk is a given. A package of cheap hot dogs(because you can stretch the meat into at least 3 meals, more if you are creative). A bag of sweetened cereal(no sugar in your budget). You already feel guilty enough about not being able to feed them well, so you don't need hungry (but when they eat, they eat well) cranky kids to add to your stress level."

My Mother on the budget she was on. We were lucky enough to never be introduced to Top Ramen or boxed Mac and cheese until we as adults moved out! She or my Dad made our breakfast, packed our lunches themselves. We hardly ever saw saw Hot Dogs. Those to were your choice, not something my Mom or myself could justify. My Mom had her limits to!

I read your little brown highlight. Still think it's a sad comment , general rationalization to make. But you are entitled to make them. Sad as it is it's a forum.

I still wonder if you would ever verbalize your comments to the generally overweight middle classes faces?

" So be it?" Easy way out eh'?

Real parents on a budget, forget what's heavy wouldn't you think Potatoes would have been a better choice? More to do with them that's healthy then an Apple don't ya think? What about regional areas, out of season produce that's been marked up?

I read your little brown highlight. Still think it's a sad comment , general rationalization to make. But you are entitled to make them. Sad as it is it's a forum.

I still wonder if you would ever verbalize your comments to the generally overweight middle classes faces?

An educated person would know that a apple would be a better choice. It is considered "the perfect food".

Opinions are like AZZHATS, everyone has one, not everyone should take there's personally.

An educated person would know that a apple would be a better choice. It is considered "the perfect food".

Opinions are like AZZHATS, everyone has one, not everyone should take there's personally.

Now Patty, play nice before you and your opinions are kicked out of the sandbox:LOL:

Tell a 5 year old to eat that and suck it up. See what that would get you in return.

Nothing else to add to back up your supposed educated background besides an Apple? Careful now Adam fell for that trap! :LOL:

You have yet to answer MY questions. The "General sloppy middle class" want to know.

as a Brit I have read this thread with great interest we have the same problems over here and in Europe. I have trouble with the debate here because with such a contentious subject in such an impersonal medium it can only devolve into a slanging match.
I would say that there are some very interesting cooks on here, the interest in food here has been a revelation to me.
I think this thread should be closed but only after someone explains what an azzhat is, is it like a fanny pack:)

How about we turn this thread around?

I am middle-class. I love to cook. I have opinions. I really like many of you fellow posters as you add value to my life..

I also take daily vitamins, though I don't know what good that does.

If you have a question, and it's something I had experience with, chances are I will respond with my general lack of experience, but wanted to help.

Latest experiment?

1 lb of dried kidney beans
2 large onions
1 large smoked ham hock
various spices
Chicken Soup base

Bring the beans to a boil in 3 inches of water. Let sit for an hour.
Rinse the beans.
Add 4 cups of water, and the Ham hock. Bring to a simmer and hold there for an hour.
Add enough soup base to taste.
add diced onions.
simmer for one more hour.
Add assorted spices (I like red pepper, black pepper, and Oregano).

I also add a splash of vinegar for the win.

After the last hour simmer, you should be able to "shred" the ham hock with forks. And re-add to the soup.

I don't really use recipes much.... but I like to cook.

Here was one variation of my bean soup :) I hope you try it.

Thanks for you patience.

I too vote for closing this thread. My opinion is that what's in other people's cart at the store is none of my business.

Code:
I too vote for closing this thread. My opinion is that what's in other people's cart at the store is none of my business.

So you didn't like the fact I forgot to add the bay leaves? I use two BTW.

But more on point?

I don't think any thread should be closed, as long as it has value.

I read your last post here, and it had value to me.

I also respect you immensely if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom